Sign in to follow this  
wooster

Squad, age and value

I''ve been through the club''s squad details and Transfermarkt values - see below.
Looking at the list it''s striking how old the squad is now, only 15 of 29 under 30 at the end of June (including Howson, Klose & Lafferty at 29 with Bennett an Pinto both 27).  All 3 goalkeepers are 30+, though I guess they last longer than outfield players.
The Transfermarkt values are  indicative only (obviously) though I can''t see us getting much change from the first 14 players (especially if we trigger the option to buy Dijks) were they to leave, given contracts ending.  The squad''s residual value, excluding these 14 players, is c£40m.
Those suggested to be leaving with any contract length left ( Naismith & Klose) suggests £10m maybe coming in.  That''s not a lot with which to replenish the squad.

Age at Value
30.6.17 £m
30th June ''17
1 John Ruddy 30 2.6 1 year option
2 Steven Whittaker 33 0.9 1 year option
3 Sebastien Bassong 30 2.1
4 Youssouf Mulumbu 30 2.1
5 Kyle Lafferty 29 1.3
6 Ryan Bennett 27 1.7
7 Michael Turner 33 0.9
8 Louis Thompson 22 0.3
9 Conor McGrandles 21 0.2
10 Mitchell Dijks 24 2.3 option to buy
30th June ''18
11 Russell Martin 31 2.6
12 Paul Jones 31 0.2
13 Wes Hoolahan 35 1.3
14 Alexander Tettey 31 2.6
30th June ''19
15 Graham Dorrans 30 3.0
16 Steven Naismith 30 5.1
17 Jonathan Howson 29 3.4
18 Cameron Jerome 30 2.1 1 year option
19 Matt Jarvis 31 2.1
20 Timm Klose 29 4.7
21 Yanic Wildschut 25 3.4
22 Daniel Ivo Pinto 27 3.4
23 James Maddison 20 1.3
24 Michael McGovern 32 0.4
30th June ''20
25 Nelson Oliveira 25 3.8
26 Alex Pritchard 24 4.3
27 Ben Godfrey 19 0.1
30th June ''21
28 Jacob Murphy 22 0.9
29 Josh Murphy 22 0.9
Total 59.8

What re these based on exactly? Wildschut''s value is £3.4 yet we paid £7mil foir him just 6 months ago?

Martins value is £2.6mil? Yet the Murphys are only £0.9mil?

My guess is we will keep Ruddy & Whittaker & try & buy Dijks (if we can), the rest may well move on - although Bennet is the only one left there with real value so may try & sign him up for a few more years.

Difficult to understand the OP valuations I''d be surprised if we can receive the fees even those with a low valuation and certainly will not get anything for those expiring 2017. Jarvis valued 2.1 how ridiculous is that as he never plays can we get rid for that?

I may be wrong but hasn''t Thompson signed a new deal? I certainly hope so!

[quote user="wooster"]Diane - see players 1-10 above[/quote]
Sorry Wooster, I missed that lol

A bit optimistic, we would be lucky 3 millon for all these together

5 Kyle Lafferty 29 1.3

6 Ryan Bennett 27 1.7

7 Michael Turner 33 0.9

[quote user="Clint"]I may be wrong but hasn''t Thompson signed a new deal? I certainly hope so![/quote]Signed a new deal until 2019, if memory serves me correctly.

I''ll try that again. Louis Thompson is contracted until 2019 after he signed a new deal in December.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]I''ll try that again. Louis Thompson is contracted until 2019 after he signed a new deal in December.[/quote]
I relied very heavily on the Transfermarkt data - just used NCFC data for the squad - though that didn''t include Conor McGrandles (he''s listed on the U23 squad).
Valuations look awry to me as well - simply reporting things as shown though I accept some valuations seem out of line with both what we paid or what some (specially younger) players are worth, hopefully.  Selling those approaching contract end can''t be expected to raise much, if anything.
Real point I was trying to make is that whilst there is a need to change (several or maybe many) players, it will have to take several windows as I assume we can''t lose everyone and hope to replace them without spending money we don''t seem to have..... unless we sell players we wouldn''t otherwise want to leave to fund replacements.

The valuations part of Transfermarkt are pretty much useless. It is quite good for seeing who is out of contract though.

The player we''d be able to make the most money on is Klose I think but not sure who else would raise a decent price.

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"]A bit optimistic, we would be lucky 3 millon for all these together

5 Kyle Lafferty 29 1.3

6 Ryan Bennett 27 1.7

7 Michael Turner 33 0.9[/quote]

Lucky to get 3 million more like 300,000 Over rated wasters

[quote user="king canary"]The valuations part of Transfermarkt are pretty much useless. It is quite good for seeing who is out of contract though.

The player we''d be able to make the most money on is Klose I think but not sure who else would raise a decent price.[/quote]Do you really think we''ll  make money on Klose, after the way that he''s been exposed by pace, aggression and aerial  ability, both this season and last. If we get what we paid we''ll be doing well. He''s a nice footballer but not ''hard, mean, tough'' enough.

The value I''m most interested in at the moment is player value to NCFC. Webber''s choice of head coach will have been made with a view to playing a certain style of football, so the value of a player to us will reflect his suitability for playing in that style. If this involves a move away from what you might call "a quintessentially British" approach (which I personally hope it will), I see the value of our foreign-trained squad members as boosted relative to the home grown ones, together with the value of those home-grown players most capable of adapting. The evidence of several seasons is that many who have featured regularly for us find adaptation difficult and tend to revert to playing in the way they are most comfortable with. The value of those players is going to drop. And these values won''t necessarily coincide with views about who our "best" players are. 

Based on the ages of the players, the Carrow Road retirement home started the season with the second oldest squad in the division. No wonder the old dears have a little nap in the middle of every game.

The only team with a higher average age was Brighton, but I suppose being so close to Hove they have more experience of keeping their pensioners active.

@wcorkcanary

I think we could do- teams may look more at how well he did in the Premier League and his Bundesliga and international experience rather than just this season. Also with foreign players you''ve got a few more clubs you can sell them to- I could see teams in England, France, Germany etc being interested, whereas someone like Naismith would probably only attract interest from this country and Scotland.