Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Poor Use Of Resources

By all accounts we have a senior squad of approx 34 players this season, which allegedly is one of the strongest in the league.

However, just having a quick look at the stats, of the players still with us, only 15 have started more than 10 matches and 2 of these 15, only just (Pritchard and Nelson).

For a side under achieving as bad as we are, I find it remarkable that there''s roughly 20 players in the squad who have not been given much of an opportunity, if any at all.

Fair enough, if you''re playing well, you''ll generally work within a small pool of players where possible but why would you persist with the same pool of players that under perform week after week? This really is an appalling use of the resources available.

We have basically switched between the same 13 outfield players all season, irrespective of their performance levels, form and attitude or the form, performance and attitude of those not in the team in training.

I''m not suggesting that those not playing are the answer but I''d have expected to see a lot more of them based on how the season has gone to date.

I appreciate this isn''t really new but just backs up what I already thought except the stats are a little more damning than I expected.,

I think we just have a lot of poor resources.Management have clearly deemed a lot of the youngsters not ready. Can''t really imagine a situation where the likes of Bassong, Turner, Jarvis, Lafferty, Mulumbu or Whittaker do any better.

How long ago was it that people on here were calling Alex Neil ''Tinkerman'' because he kept changing the lineup? And now he didn''t change it enough?

As Mr Shikari says, there are squad members who are clearly either backup, or long-term injured, who are unlikely to play unless there''s an emergency. I very much doubt it looks that different at other clubs.

Is it poor use of resources or just an acknowledgement that our second and third choice players, like Bassong and Turner, for example, simply aren''t good enough. In cases where reserve team players like Bennett,    McGovern and Whittaker have broken into the first team, they''ve hardly impressed. All of which points to the need to have a summer clear out.

But on what grounds are we deeming these players not good enough? Bearing in mind we''ve chosen, for the most part, not to utilise over 50% of our squad.

If we were still in the PL, I''d agree, a lot of these players aren''t up to it but we''re not. Players such as Bassong, Mulumbu, Josh, Canos, Thompson, Maddison, Lafferty, Godfrey etc, even arguably Whitts and Turner, would get into a lot of teams in this league on a regular basis but despite our horrendous form, have only been called upon when there''s really no other option.

Our chosen 13 of ''better'' players have consistently lost to teams made up of so called inferior players and ones that probably wouldn''t even make a reserve team in our squad.

Thompson was given a chance and was looking good but picked up a long term injury.Jerome and Oliveira have been no way near bad enough for us to need to rely on Lafferty. Lafferty really is this season''s Becchio.Alex Neil spoke about Josh not being quite ready to play the way he wanted, but he was improving. He spoke a few times about how he expected both twins to end up in the Premier League. I would like to have seen Canos stay but obviously it wasn''t to be.Pinto is a potential POTS, you surely can''t have wanted Whittaker ahead of him?Bassong perhaps, although like the rest he''s been poor for years. Turner was obviously never going to play a part, maybe ironic but Neil liked his defenders to step out and play. Turner is 33 and has never been that defender.Other youngsters, I can only assume they don''t want to damage the players by throwing them into a horribly under performing team. Although with Maddison it was always going to be tough with Hoolahan and Pritchard ahead of him.Going by what Irvine said in his recent presser I don''t think we''ll see a huge amount of youngsters between now and thre end of the season.