Sign in to follow this  
pliff

Need For Investment

I think we need to steer away from semantics here. Investment can mean lots of things. Putting money in , is investment. Not taking money out can be investment too , particularly if it goes towards a capital project. Some would even call this reinvestment - I expect that might get a volley from certain posters too.

The Club have used the Premier League money , not taken any out (unless you count repaying of some directors loans) , and up until this year made a decent fist of either staying up, or getting back up. Apart from some short term cash flow help from the Bank they haven''t sought extra money (which I suspect is what the OP is talking about )

This year the parachute money should have given us a competitive advantage, but we didn''t take advantage of it.

Next year, our last with parachute money, should still give us some advantage but less so , as another set of wealthy clubs come down with even more parachute money .

If we don''t go up next year , unless we can recreate the Perfect Storm of "Lambert" et al, we will most certainly need extra money to that from simple "trading" in the championship.

Ipswich , I suspect, would be in League One or even out of business if it wasn''t for Evans money. I think you can call that investment too. Mucus put a lot of money into the Binners in the early days , and supported both Keane and Jewell financially, but luckily for us they were both disastrous choices . Had he got Allardyce in things could have been very different. Possibly.

Interesting Beardo. So is it better to trade in the loans for shares as Delia has been criticised for in the past or just roll up the debt as Mucus has done. Yes there are so many different types of investment.

How about Fernandez and the Venkys? Both times heralded as owners we should aspire to. As was Mucus.

It seems to me these "investor owners" are like managers in only being good when they''re first at the club or winning.

''It seems to me these "investor owners" are like managers in only being good when they''re first at the club or winning''

Football is only good when you are winning.

As for investors, they are no different to managers in terms of no guarantees of success, except for the fact they cannot be as easily removed when it all goes wrong.

As a side note, according to Wikipedia (I know...), Wolves owners are worth £56 BILLION - nearly 3 times that of the group that owns Man City...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

By the very definition that fans can only be happy when they''re winning there will always be so many unhappy fans.

That is true Nutty. But when was the last time anybody left Carrow Road happy after watching Norwich lose?

How you deal with those feelings is what counts though

A Investment Post, what we get now is Delias Happyclappers saying we dont want to become a Leeds (In play offs), Portsmouth (will pass us in approx 2 years) Leicester who went in administration (Premiership champions last year) Southampton (Administration, proper premiership club)

Probably only got Leyton Orient to Roll Out now.

NCFC need to get proper investment with owners who can compete with at least 40 other owners.

If this dont happen we will become a run of the mill league 1 club.

As an employee of the club, what he thinks is irrelevant anyway surely. He will have to work in the budget he is given.

Although he did say in one of his interviews ''if we are ambitious, if we take some risks'' - I can only assume that means spending more than we expect to spend

Personally, I don''t think we have the finance for the rebuilding job that needs to be done (or at least with the quality signings we have had over the last few years)

2 different clubs.

One is under performing, bankrolled by its own successes of the last few years

One is over performing, with good coaching set up and recruitment, similar to our promotion under Lambert where the result was arguably much greater than the sum of its parts

If you are suggesting Webber is here as we are more ambitious than Huddersfield then that is not the case - it''s because we are step up in the career ladder

Is it just your opinion or an actual known fact, that we''re a step up in ''Webber''s'' career ladder?......Just suggesting.......

Well it has been reported that him moving from Head of Football Operations to Sporting Director is going to be a step up in terms of responsibilities, hence a promotion - he didn''t have the same role at Huddersfield it would seem.

He has worked his way up through the ranks in the clubs he has been at, moving from club to club while doing it so it''s not beyond the realms of possibility that the same has happened with his move to Norwich

That depends on what you mean.

Money on a personal level to Webber? Maybe.

Money on a club level? I would suggest Huddersfield have (a lot) more money than we do in terms of potential PL football and wealthy owners.

Money? Probably offered a bigger salary, including a promise of sufficient funds to implement his ideas and plans.....maybe?

Although, I think the latter ''promise'' may not be a considerable one.....The standard strategy of, sell first......then maybe we''ll purchase......But, the people we wish to ''offload'' won''t court a substantial amount as saleable assets.......So I personally think he''ll have a budget and constricted finances to function with for next season. Good Luck to him working alongside the current members of the NCFC Board......Because they all bring something substantial to the table......don''t they?

Interesting that Webber emphasised that he was attracted to NCFC as they had a stable British based board, & not run from China etc.

He also seems to be realistic about the funds available.

By the way when quoting Leyton Orient as the only bad investor club left I hope no one is forgetting Blackburn, Coventry, Charlton, Morecombe, Forest etc

For every good owner there is a bad owner, and for every bad owner there is a good owner.

Using other clubs examples for either pro or anti investment arguments is a worthless exercise

How on earth do you say who''s a good owner and who''s bad? Is there a measurement or is it just a case of fulfilling fans expectations? If it''s the latter then the bad outnumber the good by many times.

It''s all opinion based. But too many times people reference who the perceive to be good or bad examples when talking about owners and investment

I tend to agree wjth you Rogue. However I don''t think you''d find much support for Delia being a bad owner if you canvassed other clubs supporters.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]It''s all opinion based. But too many times people reference who the perceive to be good or bad examples when talking about owners and investment[/quote]It is not all opinion-based. In many cases, good and bad, you can look at the hard facts of a club''s finances and its footballing performances since a takeover to make a solid judgment. Just to take one example on either side from many, enough time has elapsed to say that Abramovich''s takeover of Chelsea has been A Good Thing for the club while Sisu''s purchase of Coventry City has been A Total Disaster.

I agree Nutty, I don''t think she is a bad owner. It''s the perfect scenario in almost every way except for being able inject the finance to take the extra step if needed - for example Huddersfields owner is probably the only case I can think of where an owner is local, has the club''s interests at heart and can inject money almost at will

I think the majority of Norwich fans agree we have good owners but many are willing to take that 50/50 chance you speak of to get bad ones...