Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Development starts now?

So, new sportimg director is in place and the revolution has started.  I wonder what he will have told Irvine.  He will be aware of the problems we have been having and will no doubt want to see youngsters in action - but will he tell him to drop anyone that''s not going to be here next season?  Will he give any of the old guard a chance?   New managers come in and say it''s a level playing field for everyone, but is that going to be the case this time?  With so many out of contract at the end of the season - and many of those not seemed to be up to the job ths season - it could be a case of him thinking, right, lets have the cull now and start as we mean to carry on - ruthless and forward looking.Or will he fall in to the trap that so many that come to Norwich seem to and get caught in the frailty that seems to exist in our squad. Adams managed to motivate them initially, for about half a season - Neil came in and managed to do the same - again for about half a season. The Premier League, I believe knocked the stuffing out of some of our players because of so many heavy defeats. Ruddy,  Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Whittaker, Tettey - even Jerome who was plainly lacking in the PL - all of these imo are tainted because of the way we were so often walked trough as a team in the PL - and that carried on into this season.    Howson I know has some class - but he too struggles to have an impact and I believe the players as a whole have lost the confidence needed to succeed. That they could do well at other clubs is possible, as they go into clubs that have a winning mentality, but as a group imo, they have lost it - and shown that this season when even up to last week, it was still possble to see a way to the play offs.  So it will be interesting to see the team today. Last chance saloon for some of them or a new era with a ruthless edge and the young players being givem a chance? I know which I would choose.

Other than the Murphy''s (and only because they have come from the youth team) I wouldn''t be disappointed to see anyone go, Howson included.

Our main problem for me is we don''t have a strong core of players to build around and we don''t have any players that have any value to sell.

Although some of the older big name players going will free up the wages, it''s going to be back to picking up players on the cheap.

I think some are rather doing down our current squad - it is horrendously underperforming, but we are still in the top half of this division. It''s clear that we need an overhaul, particularly in defence, but I think we do have have a core of decent players and with the right pruning and leadership should be able to do much better.

@Branston

There is a solid base to build on but the squad is extremely imbalanced so will need some hefty work.

We''re going to need 6 or 7 new players if we let go the people we should. At least two new centre backs, a left back, a defensive midfielder and striker is the minimum.

[quote user="king canary"]@Branston

There is a solid base to build on but the squad is extremely imbalanced so will need some hefty work.

We''re going to need 6 or 7 new players if we let go the people we should. At least two new centre backs, a left back, a defensive midfielder and striker is the minimum.[/quote]

Be interest to know, what of our players form this solid base?

No standout goalkeeper.

Like Ivo, but hes not the best defensively -

Mitchell may not be here next season.

Calamity center halves most of which have been with us for 3-4 years and are still shipping goals.

Johnny H mostly ominous, his stand out games are few and far between.

Dorrans, Tettey, Mulumu all very average.

Wes''s another year older.

Jury''s out on Yanick

Jarvis average, Naismith actually terrible.

Like Pritchard, hes class at times, but not physically cut out for a battle.

Jerome a striker who tries hard, but doesn''t score goals.

Oliveria hit and miss.

Just heard today''s team news and it''s nothing radical, as expected. No youngsters apart from Jacob. As mentioned above, don''t think we''ll see many changes until next season. Even so, I had hoped some youngsters would be given a go now there''s nothing to play for.

Solid base probably isn''t the best choice of words as the actual base of the team is where we have nothing.

Out of our defence I''d only keep Pinto (would be delighted if Dijks stayed though).

Howson is a good player, I don''t know what mostly ominous means? Thompson looked good and could provide a solid option next to him. Dorrans is fine as a squad player.

We''re not short of options out wide or in attacking midfield. I like both Murphy twins, Pritchard is excellent and Wes is still more than capable at this level. I''d get rid of Naismith though. Oliveria and Jerome is more the decent strike force at this level- both are averaging better than 1 in 3 this season. Add another player with a bit of pace upfront to give us some more variety and I think we''re fine for strikers.

A team of

??

Pinton ?? ?? ??

Thompson, Howson

Jacob Pritchard Yanic/Josh

Nelson/Jerome

is a decent starting point.