Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Young players.......chance missed

I said before the game after teams published, that I was disappointed to see that none of the up and coming player were not on the bench.

What a wonderful opportunity missed, after going in with the game won at half time, some could have come in for the second half.

Makes you think, even with the season over for us, still not getting a start.

They themselves must think, should I move elsewhere, even on loan, to get first team football

The op is talking about them being on the bench with the possibility of them able to come on in a good situation - and at 6-1 at half time, it would have been an ideal opportunity.   If they are not even on the bench, how are they ever going to get experience? 

Yes, but who, even the manager, players, or the most optimistic fan, predicted a scenario, that would see us well ahead in the game, to allow a couple of youngsters game time? Irvine''s own remit, is to get wins on his CV. He knows he won''t be here to pick the team next season, so , the squad selected, wasn''t a massive surprise tbh

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]

They themselves must think, should I move elsewhere, even on loan, to get first team football[/quote]I doubt that very much. We were not to know the results of other clubs.I would be extremely peed off to find the club giving up now and putting youngsters on the bench so as to stop them thinking about moving on.We have Fulham on Friday and I would expect to see the strongest side/subs announced. Not a couple of youngster on the bench in case we are four or five goals up.I would also expect Mr Webber to want to see as many of the senior players playing as much as possible before deciding who will stay or not come the summer.

We also need to see the likes of Maddison, Godfrey and Adams to see just how good they actually are, I agree with the OP that it would have been an ideal time to have introduced them! If Webber doesn''t know how crap the players have been then he obviously doesn''t look at results and match reports,does he?

Like I said, Irvine is going to look after his own back now, and he could lean back on the "Play-offs are not out of the question yet"

If we lose to Fulham, then that might well be the time. Yesterday was not, imo, and he got it spectacularly right. How many of those squad players yesterday, will be here at the start of the new season? Could be the vast majority, and if they do sort their heads out, then we could do very well indeed. Then the likes of Maddison/Godfrey will have to bite the bullet in a succesfull, go forward team/squad. That''s football

Irvine spoke about this after Huddersfield. He said when you introduce young players the senior pros need to "look after them " on the pitch and that after Hudds they couldn''t look after themselves let alone one of the youngsters.