Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

26,163 pretty impressive looking around at the empty seats I was guessing a lot less, well done to all of us that turned up at least we had a ''show'' to watch 

It''s a misleading number. That figure includes all season tickets regardless of if they turned up or not.

I would suggest it was closer to 24000.

By the same logic it''s how Arsenal get 60,000 every week even though there are empty seats everywhere

My understanding is that season ticket holders count towards attendance figures, irrespective of being at the ground. Therefore could be empty seats and still a high figure. I may be wrong though.

Noticed a number of empty seats from the hecklers and boo''ers in the Snake Pit

Many of the regulars near us didn''t bother turning up, leaving a number of empty seats. I guess they were enjoying the sunshine elsewhere. They missed a good game though.

Ridiculous to count empty seats, it''s misleading and smacks of treating the fans as fools, although it may be common practice. Does this practice mean that if all season ticket holders boycotted and one casual turned up, the announcement would be an attendance of circa 21,000?

daly wrote the following post at 08/04/2017 11:10 PM:

Noticed a number of empty seats from the hecklers and boo''ers in the Snake Pit

Hecklers and booers in the snakepit? Surely not, you''ll be saying the city stand started a chant soon! (Although i did them get animated a couple of time when a throw in was being taken from the incorrect place!!)

Yes Ray, it would.

At Carrow Road, like virtually every other stadium in the world it is based on ticket sales. It''s not treating fans as fools - how else would they get an accurate reading?

In our group, we have 6 season tickets between us (adult/kids) and I can''t remember the last time that all 6 attended the same game (today there were 4 of us) so there are invariably empty (paid for) seats with us, at every game.

It''s not ridiculous at all to count tickets sold - the (or any) club can''t sell the same ticket twice, so the attendance has to be that figure. The why''s and wherefores of people not being able to turn up are largely irrelevant. Clubs obviously know the ''real'' number of attendees and I''m pretty sure we used to publish the % who''d come, but imo it is pretty irrelevant.

Besides, some of the biggest gaps were created by the poor away following; a side in 4th place bringing barely 400(?) supporters to a (not difficult to get to) Saturday game is awful....they weren''t to know how the game would turn out and were meant to be on a good run

It is an Attendance figure, which means people attending.

If a season ticket holder does not turn up then they aren''t attending are they!

By all means give it as a tickets sold figure or even give both tickets sold and true attendance but to quote an attendance figure of 26,143 is just false. We have a guess the crowd comp and no one thought it was above 25,000 today.

I wonder if the knowledge that their seat was empty was any consolation for those people who missed out on seeing us win 7-1. I''ve been going for over 50 years and that was a first for me. My granddaughters friend want for the first time today. Funny old game....

I think that may be qualified by how big was Reading''s previous support. They are pretty much Johnny come latelys and so their fan base is mostly rooted in those who live locally Whereas City have had a far bigger fan base going back over the decades - and so have far more ''exile'' fans living away from Norfolk. I doubt there are many Reading fans living close to Norwich. Without that home game grounding I don''t think you become a supporter later in life when living away.It is also that similar clubs to us who tend to bring a larger away fan support to CR,  rather than the likes of the Readings, MK Dons, Wigan, Burton etc...However I expect that most who were absent on duty will be back come Friday - that''s a nailed on certainty.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I wonder if the knowledge that their seat was empty was any consolation for those people who missed out on seeing us win 7-1. I''ve been going for over 50 years and that was a first for me. My granddaughters friend want for the first time today. Funny old game....[/quote]

If that was a first , where where you for th Sutton FA cup game

I also think the figure should be the attendance figure, not ickets sold.

I have never seen so many empty seats in the lower Barclay

Never heard anything so stupid as counting empty seats in an attendance number.  Why can''t they use the turnstile stats to accurately state how many people attended?  Presumably because they want the figure to look bigger. Ridiculous.

Still 12,000 more than you know who up the road, apparently their actual attendance on Tuesday was close to 10,000 !

Its a crazy stat.

With todays computerised entry it''s not hard to get official figure.

What if only 16''000 turn up one day?

It is the number of tickets sold, irrespective of weather the customers turn up so it will always be 20k plus

Yes I was there but that was a cup game against non league. Maybe I should have qualified it as a league game. We''ve lost two league games 7-1....

Interesting that the customers are the cause of this😂

What happens when a ticket is sold twice under the buy back scheme?

Back in the 1990s we used to give out the attendance as those who were actally at the game. In those days the attendances of NCFC & ITFC were relatively similar but they announced tickets sold so we would often be a bit behind. For commercial reasons, attracting advertisers, sponsors etc, we moved to seats sold but still gave out the %of those ticket holders attending. If I remember rightly this was in the post chase era & the club wanted everything to be crystal clear.

Not sure but I think now it is a league ruling that the attendance is announced as tickets sold

If a ticket is given up and resold, it has effectively been given back so only counts as one sale.

I actually predicted this thread would appear yesterday morning but the simple fact is we are no different to any other side, my understanding it is the standard and I believe they announce it as the ''official league attendance''. As I said and Tiger mentioned, we used to show the % take up, but it ultimately means little. The club will have all the stats, perhaps someone should ask for them.

They''ll all want tickets when we get to Wembley for the playoffs.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Yes I was there but that was a cup game against non league. Maybe I should have qualified it as a league game. We''ve lost two league games 7-1....

Interesting that the customers are the cause of this😂

What happens when a ticket is sold twice under the buy back scheme?[/quote]I thought you were probably there...just asking :)I bet the ones that didnt turn up yesterday of which there were thousands are regretting not seeing 7 goals in the first 45 mins, it felt surreal

Talking to Roy Blower earlier this morning who knows his Norwich City history inside out and he believes it was the first time in a league game since we put 7 past Southend in a game they scored first.

An absolute plethora of empty pews yesterday......A golden opportunity for those ''thousands'' waiting on the season ticket list to attend the wonderful game against promotion chasing Reading.......Where were they then?......I await the excuses the club apologist collective wheel out.....Holidays, traffic, Cholera outbreak, Brexit, Earthquake, second coming etc and stuff.....

If it had been against Chelski, Manure, Man City even the Ar$e.......We''d be rammed to the rafters and there would be a gaggle of ''loyal support'' swamping this forum desperately wanting tickets to see ''The Canaries''.....Yes Soiree!

A missed opportunity for casual fans to see some great goals and an entertaining game. Lots of empty seats. But let''s be honest, who saw that performance coming? As for the practice of counting ticket sales over bums on seats, why can''t the club do both? At least that way we would know how many were actually in the ground that day.