Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Some targets for next season?

So as it seems fairly certain we''ll be playing Championship football next season we might as well start wildly speculating as to who we''d like to see here next year.

Here are a few defenders I''d like to see us pursue.

Harlee Dean- Brentford

Centre half and captain so could add the leadership we''ve so badly lacked this season. Experienced player with one year left on his contract after this season. Please note- watch out for accidentally googling Harley Deen as she is apparently in a very different line of work...

Tomas Kalas- Chelsea

Spent the last two seasons on loan to teams at the top end of the Championship (Middlesbrough and Fulham). Young and developing but unlikely to be in the Chelsea first team anytime soon. Might be too expensive for us but if Chelsea want to loan him out again he could be perfect.

James Tarkowski- Burnley

Hasn''t established himself at Burnley but was excellent for Brentford before hand. Only 24 years old so can still improve.

Any others?

All decent players

I think the key to recruitment though is getting players that fit how we want to play and importantly their character.

I think we have a plethora of attacking quality which is usually the difficult part but some how now need to rebuild the spine they play on.

I don''t know how available but the boy at Cardiff - Morrison (I think) would be a great buy, solid and great in the air. We would need a solid left back too, I''m less worried about their ability to go forward as if we persist with Pritchard/hoolahan combinaton then they will need to defend - a bit like Drury with Hucks. I wonder if djiks would be up for a season long loan?

[quote user="Big O"]I think the key to recruitment though is getting players that fit how we want to play and importantly their character.[/quote]

I think this will be the key point now that Webber has joined us. Setting out specifically​ how he wants the team to play, then finding the individual players to match those requirements. By all accounts this is what he and Wagner did successfully at Huddersfield, on quite a meagre budget too.

Which would suggest lining up names is pretty pointless as much will depend upon the players temperament.We have all seen players at CR who just didn''t seem to fit in.And just because a player looks good at one club it doesn''t mean he will succeed here, as we have seen to our (financial) cost.So maybe lets wait and see

Or maybe that would be boring. This is a forum for people to discuss things, a but of speculation over he we''d like to see the club go after is interesting.

Yeah I think City 1st gets a bit confused between forum conversation / football debate and the reality of it all. 
People won''t like the sound of it but I do think we should utilise the loan market next season. I don''t understand why we didn''t this season, it''s been to our detriment when you see the benefit Huddersfield, for example, have had with Mooy.

Oh is this his latest persona? Makes sense. Just don''t mention a transfer fee...

I''d agree with that Hoegsar. I think a couple of decent loan signings to add depth and competition would be perfect but only in certain positions.

Didn''t Webber say they got 15 new players in for this season @ Huddersfield??? He said that''s what made the difference to this years performance against last year.

At that rate it could be a big turnover of players, after all for the majority of the season our squad has struggled to play as a team.

That said I don''t feel we need such a big T/O but certainly a few!

Given Webber''s track record I''d expect to see several players from Germany turn up.

My recommendations (just for fun) would be;

Felix Kroos (Midfield) - overshadowed by his brilliant brother but still a very good central midfielder. Great eye for a pass but also loves a tackle and does the dirty work well. Would work well alongside Howson or as a replacement for him (should the worst happen).

Lasse Sobiech (centre back) - been a rock at the back for St Pauli in a poor season for them. Big unit but fairly mobile. Well suited for the Championship.

Kristian Pedersen (Left back) - If Norwich can''t secure Dijk then this guy is a similar player. Big, strong and quick he does the dirty work as well as getting forward well.

Will be interesting to see which direction Webber takes in the transfer window. Imagine we won''t see any fading Premier League ''stars'' heading Norwich''s way - but plenty of ''never heard of him'' type players.

Also reckon we will see better use of the loan market as well as a few promising youngsters coming in from Premier League academies.

The German transfer market will be interesting next season. The new TV deal starts and the clubs will have extra money to spend. It will be interesting to see if this goes in higher fees and wages like The Premier League or knowing Germany something unexpected happens.

Cam McGeehan anyone?

Young, goalscoring midfielder. Scored something like 11 goals from midfield before his leg break.

Also somebody like Angus Macdonald

I go to see Brentford sometimes and they have a couple of players who we could pick up - Harlee Dean was mentioned above and wouldn''t be a bad pick; Ryan Woods isn''t a bad m/f either, keeps them ticking along (he''s the guy Brady got sent off for challenging). Their best player in recent years is Alan Judge, but he''s been out for a year with a bad leg-break.

I agree with Bethnal though, we''re bound to be looking abroad for at least some of our replacements- we''ve been burnt by some iffy imports, but had plenty of decent ones too and if the homework has been done right as you fancy it will be under Webber, there''s a lot of good players out there

It does feel like we will cast the net a bit wider this summer which is good. I don''t watch enough German football to comment though!

Remember that Webber should be working towards producing something resembling the Norwich style of football. We haven''t heard much detail on what this will be, but signings would need to be in accordance with it.

[quote user="Len"]Remember that Webber should be working towards producing something resembling the Norwich style of football. We haven''t heard much detail on what this will be, but signings would need to be in accordance with it.[/quote]And so would the backroom staff Len.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Len"]Remember that Webber should be working towards producing something resembling the Norwich style of football. We haven''t heard much detail on what this will be, but signings would need to be in accordance with it.[/quote]And so would the backroom staff Len.[/quote]I just hope Norwich doesn''t become the latest victim of the current ''Vorsprung Durch Technik'' fad. It might be successful up to a point, but it''s as dull as ditchwater.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Don''t worry too much guys what City1st has to say as he does not even go to games.[/quote]oh dear, have I upset the filtha ban will surely followas our resident grass will be on to the moderators as with others

[quote user="Alf Tupperware"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Don''t worry too much guys what City1st has to say as he does not even go to games.[/quote]oh dear, have I upset the filtha ban will surely followas our resident grass will be on to the moderators as with others[/quote]It does not upset me one little bit pointing out you do not go to games and to call me the '' filth '' yesterday of all days shows tragically your total lack of class. As far your other little efforts beyond laughable City1st beyond laughable unless of course you can substantiate what you posted.....no thought not.

[quote user="Alf Tupperware"]Which would suggest lining up names is pretty pointless as much will depend upon the players temperament.We have all seen players at CR who just didn''t seem to fit in.And just because a player looks good at one club it doesn''t mean he will succeed here, as we have seen to our (financial) cost.So maybe lets wait and see[/quote]

Wait for what .....the out of contract players to leave with no replacements at CB?

Len,

I''m not sure I''d call teams like Dortmund, Hoffenheim or Bayern ''dull as ditchwater''.

Huddesfield with their German manager have probably been the best team to watch in the Championship this season and Liverpool with their German manager aren''t a bad watch either.

We have heard about ''the Norwich Way'' before, when Adams came in, and it was based around attacking football and developing young players. I imagine this will be the foundation for ''the Norwich Way part II'', and certainly fits in with the work Webber did at Huddesfield. Will be interesting if Webber wants to clear out the backroom staff and start again, but with so much needed on the field to start tearing up off the field also would be a monumental task this summer. The Press releases make it pretty clear Ricky Martin and Richard Money will be staying on - but I''d imagine there will be a new U23 manager and it will be interesting to see what happens to Huckerby, who could be another example of ''jobs for the boys'' from Norwich.

i think the first priority has to be centre backs, when we played Bristol City the other week, I thought Aden Flint would do us nicely, he will improve our ability to clear set pieces and negate goals like the 2nd one at Villa, as well as bringing a bit of leadership. WBA were also interested in Klose, if that means we could bring the likes of Jonas Olsson this way, that''d be great business.

With stronger centre backs in place, I think we could have one defensive midfielder instead of 2, then what we have and need changes slightly (i.e. Thompson and Tettey would be good enough, Tettey may move on but he is less key now than he once was).

Jonas Ollson recently got released by WBA and returned to a club in Sweden I believe, but agree we need that sort of CB next season

depends who goes up/comes down and who leaves but some of these would be nicejoe mattockthomas brunsconor mcglaughlinkieran tierneycallum patersoncraig dawsonjermaine andersonbruno mangaerhun oztumerbritt assombalonganahki wells

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I go to see Brentford sometimes and they have a couple of players who we could pick up - Harlee Dean was mentioned above and wouldn''t be a bad pick; Ryan Woods isn''t a bad m/f either, keeps them ticking along (he''s the guy Brady got sent off for challenging). Their best player in recent years is Alan Judge, but he''s been out for a year with a bad leg-break.

I agree with Bethnal though, we''re bound to be looking abroad for at least some of our replacements- we''ve been burnt by some iffy imports, but had plenty of decent ones too and if the homework has been done right as you fancy it will be under Webber, there''s a lot of good players out there[/quote]Haven''t they got a midfielder called Surgey Cannus or something like that? Should we look at him?