Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Play the youngsters

With nothing to play for, pressure off, I would love to see Maddison and Godfrey given a chance now before end of season.

Yes fantastic result, but little will be achieved by playing "out strongest side (which has been totally hit and miss all season) Ideal time to blood the up and coming players of the future and would be an utter waste of a wasted season not to give them some valuable playing time

[quote user="Samwam27"]With nothing to play for, pressure off, I would love to see Maddison and Godfrey given a chance now before end of season.

Yes fantastic result, but little will be achieved by playing "out strongest side (which has been totally hit and miss all season) Ideal time to blood the up and coming players of the future and would be an utter waste of a wasted season not to give them some valuable playing time[/quote]

Ordinarily I would agree with this but we are playing games that could effect the outcome of the play-offs and if we were in their shoes we would expect them to play their best team so I think we are being fair by not experimenting with the youngsters.Some might says that they don''t care about other teams and the progress of NCFC is more important but I just feel that I would be riled if we were going for promotion and the other teams did this to our rivals. 

I agree. Even if it''s just for half an hour at the end of games. Saturday would have been the perfect opportunity to try this, with the team playing the whole of the second half comfortably ahead.  Hopefully Irvine will at least give them a place on the bench for the Fulham game.

I understand where you are coming from TCC but we should put our own club first. I can''t imagine that too many others would care about what the impact might be. We do indeed have an ideal chance to blood some of these guys, lets hit the ground running in August and get some early momentum. If the likes of Maddison and Godfrey get games against the top teams in play off spots all the better the experience for them.

I hope that Webber sees this because Irvine will probably not want a run of defeats to harm his CV, his interest will be only to win as many as possible and not risk that by taking a longer term view. That means not worrying too much about the results for the next month but using them almost as warm up games for next time around (and reducing the possibility of injuries to some other key senior members of the squad).

You can''t change a team that has just won 7-1 if you can help it, regardless of the context.

I would put Maddison and Godfrey on the bench and give them a good half an hour if the score is two goals in either direction. Tell them there is no pressure on them, they will not be judged if they have an awful 30 minutes and to just go out and play.

Before Saturday I would''ve said to get them straight in but not now.

I agree with bringing on yougsters from the bench in (the rare) situations where we''re going to win the game but I''ve complained a lot about other teams doing this when it''s affected us negatively that I think we should start with what is considered our first team.I''m still scarred from the season where Coventry sent us down.  

What if the youngsters are clearly struggling against the senior players in training?

Do we still play them just for the sake of it?

I imagine if Irvine was going to play them he would have done it by now. Two scoreless losses would have signalled that but Saturday illustrated Irvine''s desire to end his tenure with his stock as high as possible.

I think Alan Irvine summed it up perfectly when he said that throwing in the youngster at the moment could be more damaging than beneficial.

Until the 7-1 on Saturday the mood around Norwich was poisonous and the last thing Godfrey, Maddison etc need is being booed by their own fans for the faults of those who have played before them.

Also, it is pretty clear Pritchard has been frustrated by the lack of first team games this season. I can''t think he''d be happy to be dropped for James Maddison who has done little to prove why he should suddenly be playing.

Webber and Irvine need to have a chat about who is likely to be leaving over the summer and focus on getting the players who the club will be built around next season on the pitch together. It is far more important to build around the likes of Pritchard than give young players a token 20 mins here or there.

I reckon most people would realise what was going on when seeing a couple of those youngsters in there to give them a little bit of leeway, and the boil has sort of been lanced with Neil''s departure and the acceptance that Top ^ isn''t going to happen. I do believe in that old saying that if you are good enough you are old enough and frankly if any of them get scarred or whatever from a few games in meaningless (to us) end of season games then I shudder at what could happen when the going gets tough at the Stadium of Light next time in front of 50K baying mackems. I do not advocate a wholesale revamp but blooding a few now and giving them a good chance seems to make a lot of sense to me.

What happened to Louis Thompson- when is he ready? Has he gone?

Louis got a bad Achilles injury in January and is out for the season.

Not sure about playing them. I''m sure if the result had been different on Saturday there would have been a reaction from the crowd. Two games in three days coming up so we should see a greater use of the squad.

If a couple of youngsters are on the bench then the manager can consider how the game is going (are we winning easily) and the mood of the crowd before bringing them on.

This season is over for us so we should be focusing on preparing for next season.  If youngsters are ready for a start then now has to be the time to try them out, and certainly some should be brought on from the bench.  I remember the first time I saw Craig Bellamy he was brought on as a sub against Man City near the end of the season - he was 17 (but looked younger) and still made a real impact.

If they''re not ready for a start then fair enough.

If other teams aren''t happy about it that''s tough.  We could well do better (especially away from home) with some freshening up anyway.

"If youngsters are ready for a start.............."Whereas that if does not exist in the minds of many on here. The presumption is that they are ready... based on what I don''t know, so in they go.I trust the coaching staff to know who is ''ready'' and who is not. Simply playing youngsters does not necessarily develop them, and risks actually doing more harm than good, and also putting a ''strain'' on the other players who will have to adapt because a few gormless fans think this is the right thing.If they are ready they will play, as did the Murphys and Rudd. That readiness should depend on them, not the opposition.