Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Russ and Next Season

Russ is at the same point where we got to with Craig Fleming. Undoubtedly loyal as a servant, hardworking, good with the press, and liked by many around the club. But, probably being kept on one too many seasons. Errors are creeping in and he''s getting found out. The many seasons of good times are quickly overshadowed.

[quote user="bristolcanary"]I hope that Godfrey makes the step up. He would learn a lot from a senior pro like Russ.[/quote]Yes, that''s what concerns me, it would be preferable if he learned his trade from a competent defender.  

[quote user="Canary Utd II"]This love in for Martin is a joke, April fool was 10 days ago.

Player coach, that''s the best one yet. The bloke is a defensive liability. That''s it, full stop. He can''t organise the defenders around him, let alone captain the starting 11.

I''ve said it once, I''ve said it umpteen times, his last acceptable season was our promotion at Wembley season, but even in the run up to that he was a liability and the culprit for poor defending, so many of the crosses that came from opposition goals were from his responsibility.

Of course he wants to stay, he wouldn''t get a look in anywhere else in the top two divisions, let alone captain.

It''s nice Norwich looking after nice Mr Martin. He should have been replaced at the start of our premiership season, he wasn''t and his track record as a defender proves it!

GET RID.[/quote]

I agree and he should not have been given his existing three and half year contract as he was showing signs of not being good enough in the 2014-15 season.

Please do not extend his contract.

......could it be that Hughton might give him one last hurrah in the Premier League by offering him a squad place at his hometown club next season??

I can see why this would appeal to him, but not entirely sure him and Hughton got on. Hughton didnt particularly cave in to Russ'' demands to be seen as a CB and often made him play RB.

I remember a smug little smirk from Russ in an interview immediately after Hughton''s dismissal and after Adams'' first move was to install Martin at CB (followed swiftly by banishing Bassong and playing Redmond up front). This seemed to betray a sense of frustration at having played under him.

Interesting that Russ has barely been seen back at RB since however. Is he no longer good enough to play there, or is the tail wagging the dog?