Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Russ and Next Season

What do we think about his role next season?

He''s one who we know for certain will WANT to stay. But should he stay? In what capacity?

I think he''s got a lot to offer - I''m just not sure how much of that is on the pitch! He has been really inconsistent this year, defensively he''s just not reliable enough anymore. Maybe he could do well in a defence if he was alongside someone really solid but I don''t think he makes a solid CB pairing with any of our current CBs. Nor do the others mind!

BUT... he''d be good to have as defensive back up, CB or RB, playing when needed, he''d be good in the dressing room and I''m sure in a backroom role. His knowledge of the club, the players more importantly, his general awareness, intelligence and honesty mean he would be valuable to SW and the head coach as their man in the dressing room.

For me, we should keep hold of him.

It''s a difficult one, but it seems to me that under pressure, our players fold as a result of too many heavy beatings in the premier league and that has had a knock on affect on the confidence of defenders and goalkeeper that were here during those seasons - and affected those coming in by association. The only time we looked solid defensively was when AN came in and reinstated Bassong who went through a good spell of form alongside Martin. The defensive frailty runs deep and is Martin part of the problem? Yes, I believe he is, as is Bassong, Bennett, Ruddy and Whittaker, Howson and Tettey.    Howson of course has class, but disappears in games, especially when we are under pressure - and he has never imo been great defensively.   Those players form the bulk of our defence since Hughton was appointed - and it is since then that the defence has been subject to so many tonkings.  A boxing term sums it up - punch drunk.   All good players and may do well individually at other clubs with a fresh start, but should they be part of the new look squad next season?  Maybe not.  Associated players - like Mulumbu, Dorrans and Klose have struggled to make much difference.   The midfield and forward players are culpable too - Jerome, for all his work and goals, misses sitters too often for comfort, even at this level. So keep the newer players - but the bad defensive situation has to have a radical overhaul - and unfortunately, Martin is right at the heart of that. Will have to seriously impress a new head coach if he is to stay.

For me he should stay, he has a big future in football and i hope its with our club, should he be captain next season, depends who we sign in the summer. A good honest professional, and i don''t see too many of them in the game these day''s.

The psychological scars are there to see for most of the defence after two bad seasons. For that reason I feel we need two new first choice cbs. Klose is too expensive to be a reserve and has transfer value so I would let him go. I would keep martin he is a good utility defender in a back up role but he may not want that if he wants regular football

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]The psychological scars are there to see for most of the defence after two bad seasons. For that reason I feel we need two new first choice cbs. Klose is too expensive to be a reserve and has transfer value so I would let him go. I would keep martin he is a good utility defender in a back up role but he may not want that if he wants regular football[/quote]

Yes, good point as regards to what would be acceptable to him, particularly if he was told he wasn''t first choice. That would be hard for him because he will see himself as still having plenty of years left in him playing. But if he was given a role as what you might call a ''number 3'' - the experienced pro in the dressing room, the guy to get the messages across, to help manage the players, to pass on his experience.... not unlike Dion Dublin in his brief spell, also Gary O''Neil who I sense was very valuable to Alex Neil two years ago, even though he was by no means always on the pitch.

I think Russ is smart enough to know these could be his first steps from on to off pitch.

Basically he has turned into our own version of John Terry.

Not good enough anymore to play week in, week out, but far too valuable to let go

Rogue Baboon wrote;

Not good enough anymore to play week in, week out, but far too valuable to let go

Still possible that a new coach and under the new structure will bring out the best in one or two, renew their confidence and self belief. The biggest criticism i would level at Alex Neil was that he didn''t bring out the best in players (Redmond ?) with his berating from the side lines.

Given the extent of the rebuilding of the squad needed and the financial impact of that we may need to keep him for another season as the reserve right back to Pinto. He should not be a first choice and certainly not played at CB.

A superb ambassador for the club and like whittaker can be a valued squad member covering more than one position as a back up. Definitely has something to offer.

However we do need a better, stronger and more consistent starter at CB.

Biggest reason for him to be moved on would be to help dismantle the apathy within the senior costa del colney cabal.

Squad rotation and backup at best, I know to many he''s a "great guy" but ultimately this is football club and we have to make decisions that move the club forwards. I certainly wouldn''t rank him the worst but no one in the squad has more time on the pitch than him and our defensive record speaks for itself.

He cannot play centre back for us next season. Back up right back for me. Even on Saturday he and Klose failed to mark Grabban properly for their goal. Happens every game.

Definitely a ''keep''., I can''t really understand some of the stick Martin gets, he''s usually no more to blame than anyone else and is still more than capable, even if only as backup,

We know we''ll see a number of players leave, with a potentially disproportionate number of defenders in Turner and Bassong (contracts up), Klose and Dijks (unlikely to stay), maybe Whitts and Bennett as well. I''d be a bit loathe to start completely from scratch at the back in terms of personnel, and might well keep Whitts and Bennett as well.

Given the size of the rebuild over the summer it will be important to maintain some players who have shown an element of desire to be at Norwich - there are probably none with more evidence to that in the squad currently than Russell Martin.

I think he is a serviceable centre back/right back in the Championship but shouldn''t be a regular starter.

Also, realistically if you are clearing out players as far down the list as Martin then you are putting far to much pressure on bringing in new players over the summer. Norwich are probably going to need 3 new centre backs as it is, no need to make that 4 when RM is still around and willing to play. Poor old Webber has enough on his hands already.

It''s a keep from me.

Apart from anything else, with the number of probable departures, if Martin left we would have a dearth of official scapegoats in the squad.

I''d like to see him stay, all-be-it as back up.

We''ve got plenty that will go almost as a matter of course because of their contracts coming to an end (Turner, Basson, Whits, Malumbu, Lafferty, Dijks) plus some others that will look to leave on their own accord. If we can replace them with say 4 new players who will be pushing for the first team 11 then some of the current starters will be relegated to places on the bench.

I think we would do a lot worse than keeping Martin who can cover two positions, has plenty to offer behind the scenes and is coming to the stage of his career where he may expect to play less often.

This love in for Martin is a joke, April fool was 10 days ago.

Player coach, that''s the best one yet. The bloke is a defensive liability. That''s it, full stop. He can''t organise the defenders around him, let alone captain the starting 11.

I''ve said it once, I''ve said it umpteen times, his last acceptable season was our promotion at Wembley season, but even in the run up to that he was a liability and the culprit for poor defending, so many of the crosses that came from opposition goals were from his responsibility.

Of course he wants to stay, he wouldn''t get a look in anywhere else in the top two divisions, let alone captain.

It''s nice Norwich looking after nice Mr Martin. He should have been replaced at the start of our premiership season, he wasn''t and his track record as a defender proves it!

GET RID.

I agree with majority of those who have posted so far that he should stay and be involved next season.

True professional who cares & gives 100%

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Given the size of the rebuild over the summer it will be important to maintain some players who have shown an element of desire to be at Norwich - there are probably none with more evidence to that in the squad currently than Russell Martin.

I think he is a serviceable centre back/right back in the Championship but shouldn''t be a regular starter.

Also, realistically if you are clearing out players as far down the list as Martin then you are putting far to much pressure on bringing in new players over the summer. Norwich are probably going to need 3 new centre backs as it is, no need to make that 4 when RM is still around and willing to play. Poor old Webber has enough on his hands already.[/quote]

I don''t buy this "size of the rebuild" line. Most who need to leave are out of contract. Most of the starting 11 from Saturday are good enough and will be around. Overall we need 5 or 6 in including a couple of decent defenders but it''s hardly mission impossible.

Nuff Said, said,

"Apart from anything else, with the number of probable departures, if Martin left we would have a dearth of official scapegoats in the squad."

And as if by magic along came Canary Utd II to prove your point Nuff Said.

If no-one wants to hurt his feelings, and he''s a jolly good fellow blah blah blah, make him a club ambassador, but for goodness sake get him away from being part of a ''defence'' (ha ha) that has been primarily responsible for leaking an unacceptable number of goals this season.  What is it 60+?  Get rid of the other defensive clowns and let the ''new structure'' completely overhaul our defence so we can resemble a side who wants to be at the top of, or near, the league next season.  No team that leaks goals like we do, has ever won anything, at any level.

Ray, what have I said which isn''t true? The people that would rather not see Martin in our defence come up with facts!

The Martin lovers happy clappers argument is that he''s a lovely bloke.

It''s pathetic!

Just wondering why Russ is continually singled out when Klose (£8m international defender) and Ryan Bennett (many posters'' golden boy) have been just as worse, if not worse, this season?

It seems to me that some actually use his nice guy image and good influence around the club (which several first teamers have pointed out) as something to use against him, rather than something that should be praised.

Russell should be by no means first choice next season and strengthening at centre back should be top priority, but his experience, knowledge of the club and influence would be helpful next season as a squad player.

Yes he should be here next season but not as captain and hopefully not as a first choice defender.

The only defenders from this season who I would be desperate to see in the team next season are Ivo and Dijks ( who I assume will not stay).

All the others have been tried and seen to fail, has to be the main area of strengthening over the summer.

If he''s happy to stay as a squad player I''d keep Martin here. I like the fact that he''s a leader, he cares, and has always represented the club with dignity.However, we''ve conceded 20-30 more goals than the top six sides, so something has to change. But Martin''s only part of the story. Whoever has played in our back four has often been found wanting. While our midfield too often has failed to provide adequate protection. You defend as a team.Webber clearly has his work cut out.

Canary Utd ii,

First of all April Fools day was 9 days ago, I''ll get back to you on the rest later.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]If he''s happy to stay as a squad player I''d keep Martin here. I like the fact that he''s a leader, he cares, and has always represented the club with dignity.However, we''ve conceded 20-30 more goals than the top six sides, so something has to change. But Martin''s only part of the story. Whoever has played in our back four has often been found wanting. While our midfield too often has failed to provide adequate protection. You defend as a team.Webber clearly has his work cut out.

[/quote]I would be happy if he was playing for Peterborough if we want to improve get rid