Sign in to follow this  
Huh?!

Pinto - Anyone else agree with me?

Is he actually as good as people make him out to be?! This season I have seen lots of praise for the lad, and some of it is justified. However, I may be in the minority who thinks he also deserves some bad press. I don''t think he''s as good as people think he is.

His ability to take on a man and run the line is great. Fans love a player who does that, hence why most love him. But what else does he actually do?!

His defensive ability is questionable and at times very poor. He never wins headers under pressure, mainly at the back post. We''ve conceded so many goals from his side this season it''s ridiculous.

His final ball is terrible. For some of the positions he gets himself in to he should be doing so much better than he is.

If you take away his main job of defending and also his final product, is he that good?! I''ve seen a lot of people saying he should be player of the season, but what for?

Personal opinion and I await copious amounts of abuse from people. Good day!

No abuse from me Huh?!,

The player is what the player is, not sure I entirely agree he deserves bad press, I''m sure he does his best, so on that basis I wouldn''t do that but believe our CB''s (whoever they are) get a lot of unjustified stick on here as they are/were often left exposed by our style of play with attacking full backs, who are quite good at it, but not so good at getting back and defending. Further compounded by our midfield not helping out as much as I believe they should have done.

Is 3 at the back the answer, possibly, but I see a massive difference between the way say Chelsea play and we do/did. I''m not talking about the skill level but I am talking about the discipline and tracking back, and speed of such, people such as Hazard, Mosses, etc. do compared with our guys.

Is this down to fitness or coaching?

I suppose the phrase ''bad press'' wasn''t quite right. Perhaps criticism would have been better. I am not for one second saying he''s a terrible player or has been terrible all season, but is the praise justified without criticism of his common mistakes?!..

Players like Pinto would suit a wing-back system, but I agree that fitness isn''t good enough. We''ve not looked as fit as we have in previous seasons imo.

No abuse from me, love his swashbuckling forays forward, but get worried when he is called on to defend, hoping the new coach will iron out his weaker areas and captalise on his strengths.

Pinto is a modern full back, their first job isn''t defending but getting forward and adding width to the midfield.

Unfortunately for Pinto Norwich''s midfield never did a good enough job covering for him when he burst up the pitch. The basic principle is when Pinto and Dijk fly up the pitch a central midfielder should drop back into defence and allow the two centre backs to go wider, thus covering the space they have left. Pinto has been asked to attack and defend at the same time and it just isn''t possible without the correct support.

It was noticeable that when Pinto was injured and not playing Norwich''s form dropped dramatically. He is a top quality modern full back for the Championship - of course he isn''t perfect, but if he was he''d be in the Premier League.

Bethnal,

I agree, I think a lot of our problems stem/stemmed from our midfield, we may however be seeing the seeds of change? I guess this Friday and particularly next Monday will (or will not) confirm that.

He''s great going forwards, i know the delivery is poor but he has the ability to really push the opposition back down that side of the field.

Defensively he''s a shambles. i think for the up side he brings he''s worth sticking with but we need to sort out the other jokers at the back in order to compensate.

Like Whittaker, Pinto came with a better reputation going forward then defending. In fact, because of his pace he is really threatening.

The problem is that neither of the two is very good at heading, like most of our central defenders, with the result that we have failed to cut out crosses, with goals the result, and like most of the defence they are regularly out of position.

Yellowbeagle,

I''m not sure I get your post? You appear to be happy with a RB who has a poor delivery (according to your post) and is a shambles defensively but the CB''s are jokers because they are often left outnumbered and exposed and are required to compensate due to the RB''s inabilities?

Maybe an argument for 3 - 5 - 2?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Pinto is a modern full back, their first job isn''t defending but getting forward and adding width to the midfield.

Unfortunately for Pinto Norwich''s midfield never did a good enough job covering for him when he burst up the pitch. The basic principle is when Pinto and Dijk fly up the pitch a central midfielder should drop back into defence and allow the two centre backs to go wider, thus covering the space they have left. Pinto has been asked to attack and defend at the same time and it just isn''t possible without the correct support.

It was noticeable that when Pinto was injured and not playing Norwich''s form dropped dramatically. He is a top quality modern full back for the Championship - of course he isn''t perfect, but if he was he''d be in the Premier League.[/quote]

Spot on

He has his flaws - which is why a champions league appearing player is playing in the championships.

however he seems integral to our play as we have only gained 1 point without him starting - thats 1 draw in 9 games.

If we adopt a similar playing style to Huddersfield it might suit Pinto a bit more. Their fullbacks push up high as wingbacks, close to the midfield, giving width. But it''s not just an attacking ploy, it''s part of a high energy pressing game in order to win the ball back higher up the pitch. I think where Pinto sometimes gets caught out is when he''s pushing forward, but the team shape doesn''t adapt, leaving a hole in behind.

He is a crowd lifter in the Snodgrass/Redmond mould are they are priceless in terms of morale. Everyone around is chanting Ivo Ivo when he bombs forward.

[quote user="Ray"]Yellowbeagle,

I''m not sure I get your post? You appear to be happy with a RB who has a poor delivery (according to your post) and is a shambles defensively but the CB''s are jokers because they are often left outnumbered and exposed and are required to compensate due to the RB''s inabilities?

Maybe an argument for 3 - 5 - 2?[/quote]

All of the players at our level will have failings it''s just how the team is going to be put together to minimize these and accentuate the good things they bring to the table.

I think we can work with him and his failings in the team, but not while we have no commanding centre backs, our current crop cant even deal with a long hoof down the middle or track their man in the penalty box. Once we get two of those in place, i''m sure the management structure will take a look at Pinto if things are two easy for the opposition and say he''s a good footballer but we just cant afford to accommodate his weaknesses. (well thats what i''d hope the new structure would do)

Well F*ck me , potentially a Pots and some of you have so little knowledge that you come on here to slate him ?

Some of you key board warriors should try getting to Carrow Road and watching a live game ,, it''s not the same as watching the TV .

🙄🙄

Barclay seats 48/49,

You''re on here ranting and raving and using foul language, I guess this qualifies you as a ''key board warrior''?

No-one as far as I can see has slated him, in fact there are some glowing words. There has been an informed debate about potential and the best way to accommodate his style and rest assured some of us on here have plenty of football knowledge, as well as other knowledge and guess what, we do go to live games and in my case more than most.

Key thing about Pinto is, with the right coaching you could improve his final ball and defensive positioning. But you can''t teach explosive pace.

I haven''t seen enough of him to comment but he seems a crowd favourite which to me is very important.

^^Mason 47 has it completely right.

And on a side note, can we please stop with the "our full-backs are very good attacking players, and thats the system we play...but golly jee they sometimes hang the CB out to dry/not the best defensively." It''s not really their main objective.

Our current system relies on the two holding mids to fill in the spaces when they bomb forward. This rarely happens, thus holes are created. As seen from Tettey''s progressive age, and Howson/Dorrans lack of pace.