Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

Now TV

I''m thinking of binning sky altogether, in favour of buying the one day passes. Anyone know if the one day pass is in HD?

Did this myself about a month ago Daz.

I buy the monthly Sports pass for £34 which is way less expensive than the £80 I was shelling out for Sky Tv (the only non free view programmes I ever watched was Sky Sports anyway so no loss there). Few things I hadn''t realised before I got it though.

You can''t record even with a DVD recorder.

It''s not HD. The picture is not bad but is does shimmer very slightly when the ball is played long and the camera moves quickly.

If you get a single day Sports pass for £7 you get Sky Sports News for 30 days as a bonus which suits me if Norwich aren''t on that month.

The rewind live TV option isn''t as good as on the Sky Box as the picture doesn''t rewind on screen so you have to guess how far back you''ve gone.

Last thing to add is that Sky fall over themselves trying to get you back. My last offer was 60% off so almost as good a price as NOW. My daughter held out for 9 months and eventually got an offer of full Sky Sports for £19 a month for a year.

I can beat that Hairy!

I got rid of Sky as the 80quid a month for tv is outrageous, so I replaced it with Now TV for box sets & movies & kids, costing 20 a month, then got the odd day pass for sports.

I then got an email from sky offering 75% off. I thought nothing of it as I know how they trap you with deals. I then got the email again and looked into it...

20quid a month for the full HD package with Sports/Movies for 12 months on a 12 month contract!!

My family are all paying between 50-80quid and all can''t believe how little I''m paying. To top it off, I was somehow 40quid in credit when my last contract ended so had my first 2months free!

I gave up Sky Sports about 18 months ago and used Kodi but my broadband didn''t handle it well.Recently I had a call from Sky asking me what would entice me back. I said half price, no contract and a guarantee that the price wouldn''t increase for two years. They offered me £15 a month (not quite half price), no contract and no increase for 3 years so I signed up. My colleague ''phoned and asked for the same deal and they gave it to him.I have heard of people asking for a deal and being refused so I suppose it depends when you try to negotiate.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]I gave up Sky Sports about 18 months ago and used Kodi but my broadband didn''t handle it well.Recently I had a call from Sky asking me what would entice me back. I said half price, no contract and a guarantee that the price wouldn''t increase for two years. They offered me £15 a month (not quite half price), no contract and no increase for 3 years so I signed up. My colleague ''phoned and asked for the same deal and they gave it to him.I have heard of people asking for a deal and being refused so I suppose it depends when you try to negotiate.[/quote]It''s a funny way to do business, trying to entice people back when they have left because it is too expensive.   A lot of companies do this now, but it is shoddy business practice imo.   Fleece your loyal customers and then try to bribe them back when they leave seems the way things work.  I''d do without sky altogether rather than give them the satisfaction of getting me back on a contract.  The Now TV thing though, is a good option and at least gives you control over how much you spend.

Another good thing with Now TV is you can have 4 devices registered and watch any 2 at any time, so when City are playing both myself and my dad can watch in our respective homes.

Currently a deal of £17.99 a month, got this at the moment and it covered Huddersfield away, Brighton home that''s coming up and also the first two days of the Masters that were only on Sky.

As others have said it''s not the greatest HD quality, but better than the less-legal streams.

That is an amazing deal Baboon. Really helpful to know how low they are prepared to go so next time they email or ring you know how far too push.

Agree with you LDC, that is so poor treating loyal customers that badly. I''ve been paying the full whack for ten years and now I feel like they''ve been pi$$ing up my kilt. It will take some getting me back now.

I''m with Virginmedia  cell phone, home phone, TV (big package) and Internet. A couple of years ago Sky were offering big discounts to new customers, so I phone Virgin to ask if they could match it or I''m off to Sky, Their offer was almost as good as Sky but I decided to change, contacted Sky and set up payments and installation date. I then phoned back to Virgin to cancel, who were shocked to loose me and promptly sent me to another department which in turn offered me £50per month for all my packages!  I explained that I''d already set up with Sky and tho'' tempting I''d have to turn it down, they came back with £30per month for 3 years. I TOOK THAT! But what do I do after the 3 years ? 

Just sit tight Swindon, Sky are losing the total control they had a few years ago.In three years time we could be picking and choosing match by match........any match, any time.Once there is more than one provider, the customer wins.

I have considered seeing what I can get out of Sky in the way of a deal. However, the irony is that nowTV is owned by Sky.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Just sit tight Swindon, Sky are losing the total control they had a few years ago.In three years time we could be picking and choosing match by match........any match, any time.Once there is more than one provider, the customer wins.[/quote]Is that really the case? Before BT came along I could watch all of the sport by paying one sibscription, now if I want to continue doing that I have to pay two subscriptions, neither of them can be considered competitive prices.Also, as with the electricity, gas and transport industries the customer service and competitveness is non existent, the service gets poorer and the prices still go up at a ridiculous rate.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="wcorkcanary"]Just sit tight Swindon, Sky are losing the total control they had a few years ago.In three years time we could be picking and choosing match by match........any match, any time.Once there is more than one provider, the customer wins.[/quote]Is that really the case? Before BT came along I could watch all of the sport by paying one sibscription, now if I want to continue doing that I have to pay two subscriptions, neither of them can be considered competitive prices.Also, as with the electricity, gas and transport industries the customer service and competitveness is non existent, the service gets poorer and the prices still go up at a ridiculous rate.

The difference between utilities and Entertainment is that utilities are pretty much a neccessity, whereas TV is not , therefore the approach to marketing has to be slightly different, i am not defending Sky, BT etc, they would rather sell for less than not sell at all.Utilities will sell, full stop, they have us by the cajones.[/quote]

Despite the increase in "illegal" sites and streams, the companies providing the services are thriving and keen to do business with you.

I have an account with BT as the only provider of fibre optic in my area. Even SKY admitted they couldn''t compete. Over 50mbps to my TV set up and high 40''s wireless to my laptop. and other smaller devices.

I have a £10 account with SKY so that my wife can enjoy on demand, rewind, pause etc.

And I have a Playstation in one of the spare bedrooms so that I can get SKY (with some inside information).

I have an android box with the latest 17.1 and the Beast build alongside Indigo so that I can watch everything else.

As has been said, the broadcasters will have to change. The customer will have the choice and broadcasters and the organisations they sponsor will have to change to meet the demands.

I believe sport especially will change to something very much akin to the USA system.

As far as I understand, the USA system, certainly for NFL, would mean that if City had sell outs for every home game, then that game can be broadcast. I''m not sure of the radius.

[quote user="They call me the Chihauhau"]This is a great contender for dullest thread of the year[/quote]Not now you''ve introduced your multiple personas, who''ll be next?

[quote user="They call me the Chihauhau"]This is a great contender for dullest thread of the year[/quote]

Jolly good.

[quote user="They call me the Chihauhau"]This is a great contender for dullest thread of the year[/quote]Surely the answer is buy a ticket and go to the game. [:P][;)]For the avoidance of doubt this post is tongue in cheek.

Til, I have a season ticket along with one for my daughter, which actually costs less than the Sky subs, so the all the home games I get vs the few televised away games on Sky makes Sky very poor VFM.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="They call me the Chihauhau"]This is a great contender for dullest thread of the year[/quote]Surely the answer is buy a ticket and go to the game. [:P][;)]For the avoidance of doubt this post is tongue in cheek.[/quote]

I didn''t realise it was possible to go to every game televised by Sky & BT.

[quote user="bristolcanary"]I am about to get rid of sky. I will let you know how it pans out.[/quote]

Wait for phone call after phone call & email after email!

They certainly don''t like people leaving

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]As far as I understand, the USA system, certainly for NFL, would mean that if City had sell outs for every home game, then that game can be broadcast. I''m not sure of the radius.[/quote]
Pretty much, although it doesn''t actually have to sell out - think it''s 80% of capacity is the cut off IIRC. This only applies to local broadcasting rights however, and is within a specific radius as you mention. (Nationally televised games are the same as here though, no minimum attendance caveat)
In addition to this, you can pay money directly to the league to guarantee access. They all have a couple of choices - it''s usually a "Season pass", for access to everything (all games live, replays of all games in full on demand etc), a team pass to access only one specific team''s games (with live streams and on demand access to that team''s games only) etc. All of it comes in HD.
I currently have the NBA pass for the Washington Wizards. I normally just stream the games but thought I''d drop a few quid on so I can watch the playoffs in HD - It''s cost me £10 for a month''s access to just the Wizards games (I don''t bother watching other teams so no point going for total access). You can buy individual games for £5.99.
NFL League pass had a free trial last year which I utilised on a few accounts - I''ll probably pay for it this year as I watch NFL outside of my team (Redskins), but it''s bloody expensive for what it is - think it was upwards of £100 for the season (16 games plus the playoffs).
If you want to check out what kind of features the gamepass system has - NFL has a free trial through the off-season, no credit card details or anything needed so no risk of being stung by an unexpected renewal debit. LINK HERE
I have just left Virgin and switched to TalkTalk. Much better TV box, and not lost any channels we watch really - TalkTalk do add-ons which you can pick up and drop in addition to your regular package, and they do some great deals. I''ve currently got Sky Cinema package added on to my account as they offered it for £7.50per month for 6 month period - after that it goes back up to full price, so I''ll drop it until they offer it cheap again. Saving £50 a month and got the cinema channels in addition to the channels we watched on Virgin, Never bother with the Skysports package as I stream anything I want to watch - Occassionally drop a few quid on a NowTV day pass on the laptop and hook it up to the telly if Norwich are on though.