Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Hughton or the board?

[quote user="djc"]So, Brighton at home next. Hughton to confirm promotion on our doorstep. Guard of honour from our players perhaps?[/quote]

Not if we win.....and he only gets a goard of honour after he''s promoted, not before.

The Lambert years were the best I have known as a fan - and indeed as an analyst - I loved him, his approach and his decision-making.

Lambert was an unashamed careerist however. He chose to leave because he felt he had squeezed everything out of the players and the club. Given that we all loved him - and he had by far the best vantage point - why doubt his judgment?

The first team players were not good enough to progress, the squad and club structure even less so. The rubber band was stretched to its limit. Hughton''s subsequent achievement in keeping Norwich up was something that Lambert felt he himself was unlikely to achieve.

Parma

@Parma
If it wasn''t for the fact that Lambert and Hughton between them (not forgetting McNally and Bowkett) rid the club of its external debt, from the perspective of club rather than fan I''d sum up the last five years by "Too far, too fast". As it is, there''s irony in the way the seeds of failure lay sown even at the moment of Lambertian triumph! 

i doubtthey will be wanting to secure the title... or at least I''m sure Hughton will want to back at CRthough a draw would mean they could win the tite at home the following Sat evening against Bristolassuming Newcastle don''t drop any points in betweencould be a cracker if the right City team turn up

Have to say, credit to Brighton if they manage to win the league.
Not that they''ll particularly care but a bit of a failure in my book that massive Newcastle with that budget and that squad and Rafa Benitez crawl over the line to automatics, just.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]@PurpleCanary
With respect, I think you need to read my post again. It is clear from what I say that the problems existed before Hughton took over, including throughout Lambert''s tenure. What I said was that Lambert "got by" through that extraordinary period relying on his first hand experience of the lower leagues, which is hardly controversial. I am in no way downplaying Lambert''s achievement up to that point. But Lambert walked away at precisely the time that the club''s ill-preparedness became most crucial.
By calling Hughton''s keeping us up "an even greater achievement", I meant simply that he did it under circumstances which few managers of "second season" EPL teams have to face (and those who do, like Holloway at Blackpool, seldom manage to overcome).
[/quote]
No. Far from making that clear what you did was to try to muddy the waters by having it both ways, as with this comment, which claimed Hughton had greater difficulties to cope with: "Hughton was faced with a completely different level of problem."What different/greater level you never specified in any sensible way. Hardly surprising since, as I pointed out, his only new or greater "problem" was having been given more money to spend than had Lambert. And the rest of your attempt to exonerate Hughton consists of flailing around: "Lambert walked away at precisely the time that the club''s ill-preparedness became most crucial."Rubbish. If that was going to be a factor then a manager/squad that had arrived in the PL after being in the third tier two seasons before would be the one most likely to suffer. And this also goes straight in the dustbin, for pretty much the same reason:By calling Hughton''s keeping us up "an even greater achievement", I meant simply that he did it under circumstances which few managers of "second season" EPL teams have to face (and those who do, like Holloway at Blackpool, seldom manage to overcome).I will grant you one thing. Yours is not the most nonsensical defence of Hughton seen here. One poster claimed Hughton bore no blame for that relegation because Norwich City had been in recession, which meant he had been  starved of transfer funds. In fact the club, far from enduring successive periods of negative growth (which is how one defines a recession) had been notching up consecutive years of record income and handing over record amounts of money for transfers...

Chris Hughtons time at Norwich will be seen, from the outside at least ,as a blip. Anyone else remember the disbelief from the ''football family'' at his dismissal?Outside of Norfolk he is a very well respected man/coach/manager and is not seen as ''hapless'' at all. It was us that were seen as the fools, not him.I hope he is given a decent reception at CR, and if by any chance they secure the title, fair play to them, they deserve it, and so does he.The much praised Eddie Howe is now starting to feel the pressure and although Bournemouth probably will survive, their days of free flowing football have gone along with their confidence....and results.  Much like us after Xmas in CH second season.I suppose what I''m trying to say is that i can''t be arsed to pore over the minutiae  of who''s at fault, just that even Chelsea can''t win all the time, So why the feck should we? I like the ups and downs, admittedly , the ups are more fun, we aint Barca, and i bet their fans gripe too.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Chris Hughtons time at Norwich will be seen, from the outside at least ,as a blip. Anyone else remember the disbelief from the ''football family'' at his dismissal?Outside of Norfolk he is a very well respected man/coach/manager and is not seen as ''hapless'' at all. It was us that were seen as the fools, not him.I hope he is given a decent reception at CR, and if by any chance they secure the title, fair play to them, they deserve it, and so does he.The much praised Eddie Howe is now starting to feel the pressure and although Bournemouth probably will survive, their days of free flowing football have gone along with their confidence....and results.  Much like us after Xmas in CH second season.I suppose what I''m trying to say is that i can''t be arsed to pore over the minutiae  of who''s at fault, just that even Chelsea can''t win all the time, So why the feck should we? I like the ups and downs, admittedly , the ups are more fun, we aint Barca, and i bet their fans gripe too.[/quote]yep, there''s not every club that can rack up debts of around £170millionand when the bubble bursts

@Purple Canary
To repeat, I think you need to read my post again, in conjunction with Parma''s interjection above. Whatever, each to their own.

Well done to Brighton, will be interested to see how they fare in the Premier next season