Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Brighton

Looks like they could clinch promotion at our place a week tonight! Wouldn''t that just be the icing on the cake after the 5hite season we''ve had!

hopefully it wont come to that and they will go up on monday.

can only ever recall one side winning the league/promotion at carrow rd before ,which was Everton ''87 where a pitch invasion followed by the away fans.....didnt mind that so much as the alternative was Liverpool winning the league.

watching Brighton fans celebrating would be a galling sight to watch in front of our eyes

Have to say, I''ve seen Brighton twice this season (not vs us) and they looked pretty ordinary both times - but won and drew, which says it all: consistency and momentum play a big part in these things.

Whatever Hughton is doing for Brighton, he definitely wasn''t doing it at Norwich.There was nothing to suggest that he could have stopped Norwich from getting relegated and many fans weren''t that enamoured with him before that.It''s probably a case of manager fitting with club. Look at Lambert & Walker with us. They hardly got their subsequent teams the same success, did they ?

Agree GJL, and I would hazard a guess that he also may of learnt that he cannot survive in the Prem, whilst continuing playing like his teams did, and may see a different approach to his last venture there.

They''ve looked strong to me the five or six times I''ve watched them this season. Very organised at the back, break quickly and some clinical finishing. Think they''ll win the league.

I actually rated Chris Hughton, but then I didn''t sit through the dross we served up every fortnight.

He was a decent manager tactically, made some decent signings within our budget range (RVW apart) and came over well in interview.

He made a series of films on tactics and I watched a few. They were good.

The timing of his sacking was weird to the point of madness IMO.

I meant to add that I don''t think he rated our club overmuch.

He therefore went very defensive as a mindset. A successful career at Spurs playing and coaching. Management at Newcastle then little Norwich. Smaller stadium, smaller crowds, low spending power.

As someone posted above some managers fit in at certain clubs, some don''t. Brighton is a better fit for that particular Londoner.

It will be very interesting to see how he does with them next season.

What Hughton has been able to achieve at Brighton is what he would achieved at Norwich if the board had the balls to keep him on, even if it meant relegation. Given time, he has been able to produce an effective team at the lower level that he will be able to take up to the PL as a confident,  organised and successful unit.   That is why he will do well next season.  And his success now has nothing to do with what he learned from being at Norwich. I suspect that all he learned from being at CR is that you can''t rebuild a club that is already in the premier league. At Norwich he was on a hiding to nothing, players not really buying in

to the rebuild and doing their own thing, fans not buying in to it and all in the pressure cooker

of a premier league where every team from nine downwards was in danger

of relegation.  At Brighton he has proved he is a good manager - and as he had done at Newcastle and Birmingham - been successful in charge of organised effective and free scoring successful teams.  We would have done well to have kept him on.

Hughton is at his level in the Championship as many players have a level so do managers, he didn''t do it in the Prem with us or Newcastle did he?

And Lakey how long should we have kept him? After all you said we should have kept Neil too so on what basis, especially when you barely see a game, do you make these profound statements?

LDC - Hughton had us working as an efficient organised unit in his first season with us though was extremely lucky Holty still found some way to score.

He then failed to continue rebuilding a PL club (as you put it) by creating a team that couldn''t score. Whether it was his fault or not we were lumbered with the useless RVW doesn''t change the fact he continually persevered with the ultra defensive tactics (with no attacking threat) while we spiralled to the championship.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]LDC - Hughton had us working as an efficient organised unit in his first season with us though was extremely lucky Holty still found some way to score.

He then failed to continue rebuilding a PL club (as you put it) by creating a team that couldn''t score. Whether it was his fault or not we were lumbered with the useless RVW doesn''t change the fact he continually persevered with the ultra defensive tactics (with no attacking threat) while we spiralled to the championship.[/quote]

I agree with you Zac.  That second season was an attempt to move things up a gear, but the player''s didn''t have the luxury that Hughton has had at Brighton - a season or two to consolidate and build something.   It was total pressure on the team from the start of that second season - not helped by Bennett''s injury in the first match, just as it appeared Snodgrass had some competition for his place in the team.  Take into account RVW''s short comings  (although I still believe he would have scored more if it hadn''t been for the selfishness of you know who, the penalty, the lack of early crosses etc) and you had too many faults in the team.  Add the misplaced passing and the poor defending and it was clear why we struggled.  I do not believe the ultra defensive tactics were intended - it was forced on us in nearly every game by the quality of the opposition and our lack of being able to retain possession, thus inviting pressure.  You look at what Hughton has built at Brighton and you see a team built on a good defensive base with key players up front able to take advantage - built in a lower division.  Hughton didn''t have that at Norwich. He had Martin, Bassong, Bennett and Whittaker, who have been found wanting again, this season.  Tettey and Howson don''t get off scott free either with their lack of defensive work/link up play - and they are all still here, including Ruddy. We had Johnson and Fer too of course...... 

As Parma pointed out in one of his many excellent posts, there was arguably more logic to the defensive approach Hughton adopted than to Neil''s reliance on "expansive" attacking football as the means to maximising the never very good odds of our surviving in the EPL. Neil persisted with the same approach this season and, as we have found out, teams haven''t needed Premier League quality players to exploit the inherent tactical weaknesses. The board''s biggest mistake IMO was to sack Hughton; their second biggest mistake was not to embark there and then on the restructuring we are now seeing. That at least is a major positive to emerge from the last three years; better late than never.

They did try an attempt at restructuring, and I get the feeling that is why they stuck with Adams. Unfortunately it wasn''t as strong or as focused as it should have been and the "Promotion At All Costs" was too powerful for it to last.

You can in no way compare Hughton''s time with us and what he''s doing at Brighton - we were in the Premier League! The real comparison will be next season and whether Brighton have zero ambition whilst sending fans to sleep, like he did at Norwich.

Ps Lakey, your three year continual agenda against Snodgrass got boring several years ago and comes across as massively bitter and spiteful. Oh, and the vast majority of Norwich fans completely and utterly disagree with you.

"What Hughton has been able to achieve at Brighton is what he would achieved at Norwich if the board had the balls to keep him on, even if it meant relegation. Given time, he has been able to produce an effective team at the lower level that he will be able to take up to the PL as a confident, organised and successful unit. That is why he will do well next season."

This is one of the dumbest things I''ve read on here.

[quote user="king canary"]"What Hughton has been able to achieve at Brighton is what he would achieved at Norwich if the board had the balls to keep him on, even if it meant relegation. Given time, he has been able to produce an effective team at the lower level that he will be able to take up to the PL as a confident, organised and successful unit. That is why he will do well next season."

This is one of the dumbest things I''ve read on here.[/quote]Oh really?  It is pretty much the case that Hughton and Brighton will likely do better next season than he did with us simply because he has had time to build his team in a lower league and can take the success he has had there and the momentum that it has given the club, with him. If he had been kept on at Norwich even if relegated, the same would likely have happened.....he would have built a good team....after all there is no doubting his record in the championship.  This time, however, he  has the chance to take his own team that he has built himself to the PL. He will likely do well. And good luck to him.

LDC, what do you base this notion he will do well next season on? You really don''t help yourself with some of the stupid statements you make, if you could once in a while back up what you say with evidence or fact, you wouldn''t be treated as the Forum jester!

It''s the sheer certainty of it (which I''ve noticed has been downgraded to ''likely'' already) combined with it going against the evidence of his time at Norwich. We severely regressed in our second season under Hughton, getting worse at both defending and attacking. The idea that he''d inevitably have got it right next season just because he''s doing well at Brighton is laughable.

The logic is simple, yet it seems to defy you and baldyboy.   At Norwich he had to build a team under the severest pressure of Premier League survival.  At Brighton he has been able to build a successful and expressive side in a much less pressurised situation.  He and Brighton have everything going for them, much like Burnley had, Swansea had - and we had under Lambert.   If you can''t understand that, I''m sorry.  I can''t be bothered to explain further.

The logic is simple. Hughton managed the majority of a season in which we were relegated. Our away form that season was awful, we hardly scored and most of the matches were dull and turgid. After an awful loss against West Brom, the fans turned, it was toxic and Chris Hughton was rightly sacked. If you can''t understand that, I really can''t be bothered to explain it to you.

(Was that condescending, pompous and patronising enough?)