Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

Autographs

I am a bit disappointed with the club to be fair.About a month ago I wrote to the club asking for a certain players autograph , addressed to the player himself and requesting 2 personally signed autographs for 2 people ( one was for a family member and one was for one of my friends ,a huge football fan overseas), they weren''t even for me.So far I have heard nothing.I don''t know who to blame , the player or the club.Maybe I was expecting too much , nethertheless , Norwich city football club , you owe me the price of a first class stamp on a self addressed envelope. What i find galling was that one of my workmates once wrote to Steven Gerrard at LFC and received a colour signed photo for his son no problem.

[quote user="George Smiley"]I am a bit disappointed with the club to be fair.About a month ago I wrote to the club asking for a certain players autograph , addressed to the player himself and requesting 2 personally signed autographs for 2 people ( one was for a family member and one was for one of my friends ,a huge football fan overseas), they weren''t even for me.So far I have heard nothing.I don''t know who to blame , the player or the club.Maybe I was expecting too much , nethertheless , Norwich city football club , you owe me the price of a first class stamp on a self addressed envelope. What i find galling was that one of my workmates once wrote to Steven Gerrard at LFC and received a colour signed photo for his son no problem.[/quote]

You should blame yourself.

Back in 66 I had a big photo of the world cup winning team. I decided I wanted them signed, so throughout the following months I wrote to their individual clubs to get the autographs. I''m now in the possession of a fantastic bit of memorabilia.  Sadly today''s millionaires don''t seem to think about the fans that get them there.      

Friend of mine loves memorabilia. He sent a 1966 German shirt to Frank Beckanbauer asking if he would sign, he also included some euros for return postage. He got the shirt back, signed under the German crest where he wanted it and also had hid euros returned. There are some good uns out there.

Part of the problem these days is so much signed merchandise ends up on eBay, and lines people''s pockets.

I think that is partly why some players don''t/won''t sign.

Shame, but sign of the times i guess.

You could sign it yourself and pretend its the player you requested. Just have to keep lying to yourself until you believe it

"I am a bit disappointed with the club to be fair"

They ignored such an important a person as you.

My goodness.

They must have been busy running a football club.

What a haft-witted OP.

Lessingham Canary ...I used to do this ....... when I was a kid but I am now in my 40s .In fact Liam Brady invited me onto the Arsenal team bus for a chat , the game when we won 2-1 and Roger Hansbury saved their penalty.

"BroadstairsR .thankyou for the compliment "

They have to deal in millions and you are concerned about the cost of a postage stamp.

Quite funny that.

Geoerge Smiley wrote;

Lessingham Canary ...I used to do this ....... when I was a kid but I am now in my 40s .In fact Liam Brady invited me onto the Arsenal team bus for a chat , the game when we won 2-1 and Roger Hansbury saved their penalty.

I often wait with my 13 year old and help her get autographs, never too old for that, all part of the being a fan thing.

I won a signed football in a raffle, couldn''t make out any of the signatures on the ball, I wonder if they get someone in the office to scribble on them. It was the team that went down to League One to worthless !

I have to have my son with me to name the players these days (opposition team i mean, not the city ones obviously)

Were a couple at villa the other week who i thought we youth players, oops!

Many years ago, when Ipswich did indeed have a great team. My son drew a bulldog dressed in an Ipswich kit. He sent it to the club with a request for it to be signed. Everyone of their players signed it and returned to my son. Later we moved back to Norfolk, and he did the same with Norwich, guess what they simply sent him a photo copy of the players signatures...it was truly pathetic. Better to have not sent him anything.

It seems by the posts, that a truly great world class player like Steven Gerard takes the time to sign and return a request, does restore some faith.

[quote user="George Smiley"]I am a bit disappointed with the club to be fair.About a month ago I wrote to the club asking for a certain players autograph , addressed to the player himself and requesting 2 personally signed autographs for 2 people ( one was for a family member and one was for one of my friends ,a huge football fan overseas), they weren''t even for me.So far I have heard nothing.I don''t know who to blame , the player or the club.Maybe I was expecting too much , nethertheless , Norwich city football club , you owe me the price of a first class stamp on a self addressed envelope. What i find galling was that one of my workmates once wrote to Steven Gerrard at LFC and received a colour signed photo for his son no problem.[/quote]

I agree up to a point, they could have signed photos all ready to send out to people, but they don''t have to. If you had provided the photographs yourself and sent them in, you would have a legitimate gripe, but you seem to expect them to provide the photos and the autographs.   Seems they have to do all the work to give you a what was basically a couple of freebies.  .  Autograph hunting is usually hard work, lots of waiting around, or planning and being in the right place at the right time and celebrities are usually more than happy to sign for people who make that kind of effort.

LDC , I agree with you 100 per cent . Maybe If I had provided the photos myself then I would have had more joy, but I must point out, Don''t forget the season we have just had . The box office/admin can''t have a heavy workload at the moment with the logistics of supplying play off tickets with a possible trip to Wembley.Is the club that hard up that it can''t set aside photos of it''s squad players for fans who request them ? I bet even the likes of Dagenham Redbridge , Grimsby Town and even Wroxham would have a system where fans can receive signed pics.It''s called keeping the fans on side when things aren''t going so well.Look what Leicester city did for their supporters last season ..free beer and doughnuts .. what do we get ? and what about the fans who travelled to no shows away this season , don''t you think they felt cheated and out of pocket? not to mention the time they wasted.

You should have at least offered the club an equal - take a selfie, sign it, and send it to them, now.

I thought all of the sticks to beat the club with had been used by now, so I applaud your inventiveness.

Whoah, just a cotton picking minute.

Have you considered that the letter might not have reached it''s destination? Did you send it registered post?