Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Congratulations to Chris Hughton

I couldn''t give two 💩''S what Chris Hughton has achieved in the championship. At the time of managing us we were in our 3rd season of premier league football. There are no comparisons to be made here.

[quote user="JF"]I couldn''t give two 💩''S what Chris Hughton has achieved in the championship. At the time of managing us we were in our 3rd season of premier league football. There are no comparisons to be made here.[/quote]

Hear hear

I wrote earlier;

Struggle with this, it could have been added to the Brighton thread where it belonged, guess this is all about the poster :-(

Was a bit trigger happy there, uncalled for on this forum, so apologies to the op, sorry LDC,!

I didn''t care for what Hughton did, had worse away days under him than with Alex Neil so that is saying something!

Come Friday i will applaud Brighton but not the man.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]I wrote earlier;

Struggle with this, it could have been added to the Brighton thread where it belonged, guess this is all about the poster :-(

Was a bit trigger happy there, uncalled for on this forum, so apologies to the op, sorry LDC,!

I didn''t care for what Hughton did, had worse away days under him than with Alex Neil so that is saying something!

Come Friday i will applaud Brighton but not the man.[/quote]

No offence taken, Lessingham. I understand feelings are still high even after three years, but manager or not, I don''t think the blame lay solely with him. Players'' inadequencies,  recruitment by the club and financial issues (paying off debts) all played their part.   £26 million spent in the second season, yes,  but the overall value of the squad was still peanuts compared to the majority of the rest of the clubs in the league at the time.  

@hoola han solo;

Made some good signings such as Snodgrass but was also responsible for abject failures like RvW.

I would put Redmond in that bracket also, unfortunately no manager managed to tae him to the next level.

We made good money on Fer, Snodgrass and Redmond so these three can be considered a success. Just a shame the manager couldn''t manage the squad well enough to keep us in the division.

About as interested in Hughton and Brighton as I would be in the Binners doing something similar.

For me it just shows how bang average the league was this year and how totally inept our management has been. A massive missed opportunity.

I am curious to see if he will take the same approach in the Premier league as he did with Norwich, and suck all the fun out of supporting his team.

My prediction is they will start well like we did (10 game unbeaten run) but once Brighton get found out he will revert to defensive bordon and eventually be relegated or assassinated!

[quote user="Canary Jedi"]I am curious to see if he will take the same approach in the Premier league as he did with Norwich, and suck all the fun out of supporting his team.

My prediction is they will start well like we did (10 game unbeaten run) but once Brighton get found out he will revert to defensive bordon and eventually be relegated or assassinated![/quote]Well, it''s unlikely that he will seek to emulate Ian Holloway''s Blackpool who didn''t know the meaning of "defend", were immediately relegated (I can hear their fans now saying just how entertaining it was to watch their team''s inevitable demise), and have since plummeted further into obscurity. Hughton will aim to do what every sensible manager in his position does, achieve the right balance, while taking solid defence as the sine qua non of survival in the top league. You can be sure that this time round he will have players better able to fulfil the brief he gives them because his Championship winning side already have the fundamentals in place.

I guess that''s a good point westcoast in that with he inherited his Norwich team whereas this team he has built and presumably has a good bond with them. Perhaps that will make the difference

With his Norwich team, I always got the impression that Hughton didn''t appreciate their strengths and that the players did not have the same trust as with Lambert. Just my guess.

I remember when he took over at Carrow road he immediately went only holiday with dvds of the last season''s games. When he came back I was expecting him to be full of praise and bigging up the players. As we now know that was never his style.

"Under Hughton, we finished with 44 points which placed us 11th, but until the last couple of games we were at risk of being caught up in the relegation fight, and winning our last two games (the 4-0 drubbing of WBA who collapsed and the amazing 3-2 win at Man City when they had just sacked their manager).  If we had drawn against WBA and lost at Man City in those last 2 games (which if you''d been predicting the results would have been much more likely than two wins, let''s face it) we''d have ended up on 39 points which would have placed us in 17th place, just below Sunderland and 3 points above Wigan who were relegated in 18th.  And being honest, that would have been a fairer reflection of our season overall.  But the Prem is so tight when you''re near the bottom that a couple of wins can catapult you up the table."

Completely agree with this - West Brom were on the beach and Man City had nothing to play for. Had either of them needed points for survival or European qualification, I suspect we would have had a tougher couple of games.

I think Hughton will have learned from his spell with us. I can''t see Glenn Murray getting 20 goals next season, so they''ll need to grind out some 1-0''s, but their defence will need strengthening.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]True except he left us in a position where relegation was realistically unavoidable.[/quote]I want to see my club thrive; league position is a reflection of the state of health of a club, not the measure of it, a truth that fans up and down the country learn the hard way (ask Leeds and Pompey fans for example).

He got us relegated! The season before we could have been relegated up to the third last game. I love the rewriting of history because he is a "nice" bloke... Probably is but he was one sh*t manager for us. Next season Brighton will get relegated and you can watch the nice bloke telling everyone how good the opposition is every week... Especially the strength on their bench... Reason I stopped going away, raised the white flag before we kicked a ball. Destroyed the team spirit Lambert built and I for one won''t be clapping wildly in thanks

So making good money on a player is a gauge of how successfully they were at Norwich? Guess Holty was a failure then....

Given time he may of rebuilt us in the championship just like he did Newcastle and now Brighton but the "Fans" demanded change and he left - he has picked himself up and started again, before you boo the guy tonight, think the fact it''s Brighton and not us in this position may of been our own fault/impatience?

My opinion is we made our choice - now be graceful and applaud the man and his team for achieving something we couldn''t. - it appears that Norwich fans are always bitter towards ex players and managers.

Sorry, didn''t win anything or last long enough for me to care. Well done Brighton, deserve to go up - but Hughton is an irrelevance.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Given time he may of rebuilt us in the championship just like he did Newcastle and now Brighton but the "Fans" demanded change and he left - he has picked himself up and started again, before you boo the guy tonight, think the fact it''s Brighton and not us in this position may of been our own fault/impatience?

My opinion is we made our choice - now be graceful and applaud the man and his team for achieving something we couldn''t. - it appears that Norwich fans are always bitter towards ex players and managers.[/quote]
Not in my experience.
Anyway, it''s easy to blame the fans. I don''t think it''d be different if it were Brighton. If they''d had that second season in the prem and got relegated would he have been sacked? Evidence suggests almost definitely considering history shows our fans and board are more patient than most.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Given time he may of rebuilt us in the championship just like he did Newcastle and now Brighton but the "Fans" demanded change and he left - he has picked himself up and started again, before you boo the guy tonight, think the fact it''s Brighton and not us in this position may of been our own fault/impatience?

My opinion is we made our choice - now be graceful and applaud the man and his team for achieving something we couldn''t. - it appears that Norwich fans are always bitter towards ex players and managers.[/quote]
He didn''t rebuild newcastle - they kept the vast majority of their premiership squad - they only lost Bassong, Obafemi Martins, Habib Beye and Damien Duff, and they released Michael Owen. 
I didn''t want him out because he took us down, I''m under no illusion we have any entitlement to top flight footy. I wanted him out because the style of football was so dour and negative it was unbelievable and he offered no sign he was capable of turning it round or doing anything different. We regressed under him, he couldn''t motivate the players and we played pathetic football. We recorded our lowest EVER goal total, and it wasn''t by a goal or two, we only scored something like 60% of our previous worst ever total! 
If we''d gone down but given it a real good go then that''s one thing, but we didn''t, we turned up every week with the same stupid gameplan to sit back and try and scrape a draw, relying on our abysmal defence to give us the platform to do that.
I don''t have any ill-will towards Hughton, I think he''s a nice guy, and a decent Championship level manager (but a poor Prem one), and it didn''t work out for him here. He''s always been honest and spoken highly of Norwich, so I see no reason to boo him, that''s just petty, and I actually agree with you that he deserves a respectful round of applause as he''s a decent bloke, but let''s not pretend that we were impatient, or re-write history to say he rebuilt a Newcastle team that would have gone up with Donald Duck managing them.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"] it appears that Norwich fans are always bitter towards ex players and managers.[/quote]
Not in my experience.
Anyway, it''s easy to blame the fans. I don''t think it''d be different if it were Brighton. If they''d had that second season in the prem and got relegated would he have been sacked? Evidence suggests almost definitely considering history shows our fans and board are more patient than most.
[/quote]

It''s a really difficult one regarding the board imo.  Two schools of thought are - 1.  As soon as there is a bad patch get rid to try and prevent a slide down the table, or 2.  Stick with a manager no matter what happens in the hope of a longer term success. My problem with it is that the club don''t see it through.  You could easily argue that Hughton should have been sacked in November in that second season, but having kept him, they should have stuck with him no matter what happened.   But they lost their nerve.  Same with AN.  Could have sacked him last season, really and even more easily this season, but again, lost their nerve.  Had they stuck with Hughton it is my belief that he would have turned it round for us, even if it meant rebuilding in the Championship.  I also believe that had they stuck with AN, he would do the same over the longer term.  I think we have seen from both these managers'' time at the club that there is something deeper that is an issue - a lack of single mindedness to see it through, despite what happens.   DS wants - and maybe many of us do too - a long term maybe ten year plus manager.  Well they had that opportunity with Hughton imo (and he has proved something at Brighton) - and they had the opportunity with AN too.   So for me they have fallen between two stools.  A desire to see a long term manager, but caving in when things get really tough.  The answer is  stick to your guns - if you believe in a manager stick with them, or if you don''t get rid as soon as there is a down turn. To my mind, they have missed a trick both times.  As for the fans, it is also my opinion - and you can shoot me down if you like - that there is an impatience and expectation beyond what our resources indicate is reasonable.  So pressure from the fans is a huge influence and mainly the reason why Hughton was sacked - and also AN.  To pretend otherwise is wrong imo.  That is not being anti-fan - it is just saying it as it is.  You could say it''s results - or style that led to those two managers'' downfall, but at the end of the day, they were got rid of because of pressure from the fans. So we have another new dawn - and yet another new way of doing things. But if the going gets really tough, will the club see it through?  I suspect not. Not many clubs would to be honest, but imo the best thing for our club would be to stick wth someone long enough to sort out the issues behind the scenes and the alarming lack of cohesion and consistency in the squad that has existed since Lambert left and I say that despite the wonderful run to promotion two years ago.  Hughton has proved beyond doubt his worth as a manager, AN will do so imo in due course. Apologies for the long post.

tl:dr

I wasn''t a fan of his time here, but should they win the league tonight I''ll applaud him and his squad, they deserve it after a good season

Clearly with Hughton the Board fell between two stools, they should either have sacked him the previous autumn, or at least kept him on until the end of the season.  Sacking him when it was too late for his replacement to make any difference was just daft.

People forget that once a manager has lost the respect of the players and the fans, it is very hard to get it back.  It''s much easier to move to a new club and start with a clean slate, which is what Hughton has done.  It doesn''t mean he could have succeeded if he''d stayed on at Norwich after we were relegated.  Probably not IMO - but it''s impossible to know because it didn''t happen.

Ironically the Board learned what was IMO the wrong lesson from the way they treated Hughton by persisiting far too long with Alex Neil, long after it was clear he had lost the plot.  AN is a perfect example of the fact that just because you are successful at a given level with a club, doesn''t mean you''ll automatically repeat that if you''re relegated back to that level.

Far from being too impatient, I think City fans have put up with a lot the last few years, from Hughton''s awful style of play and terrible second season, and then under Alex Neil from the Newcastle game after we were promoted things all went to pot.

Indeed, if they do win the league tonight I will gently tap my thigh as I am walking out.

anyone else find it interesting that there were no songs praising Hughton from the Brighton or even any kind of acknowledgement until around the 70th minute when they were prodded into doing so after the "Chris Hughton, he''ll take you straight down" chant.

very strange?

Yeah we had to sing some anti Hughton stuff to get any kind of support from the manager that''s just got them promoted!

Look Hughton has always been a good manager at this level and he might pull it off next season too but I wouldn''t be putting money on it.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]anyone else find it interesting that there were no songs praising Hughton from the Brighton or even any kind of acknowledgement until around the 70th minute when they were prodded into doing so after the "Chris Hughton, he''ll take you straight down" chant.

very strange?[/quote]The only interesting thing about it is your fixation with their not focussing their support on their manager; from what I heard they were far more vocal in support of their team than anything our fans managed to muster through most of the game. But then I wasn''t there so I''m sure someone will tell me I''m not entitled to comment.  

no you weren''t there, yet apparantly are quick to point out my "fixation"??

....the only fixation of the evening was the Brighton fan''s obsession with Pritchard....having been promoted without having needed him.

and "if " they were more vocal their support than anything we could muster...(which certainly wasnt the case fromour first goal onwards).....then what a "surprise" that would be?!?.....a set of fans who have just been promoted being more voiciferous than a set of fans watching their team who have nothing to play for after a season of under acheivement shocker !

.....but then,as you say, you weren''t there