Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Congratulations to Chris Hughton

Congratulations to our much maligned ex-manager.  Not only survived the difficult two years with us with his dignity intact, but has done a fantastic job in getting Brighton from near relegation to promotion to the PL. 

Could you not have added this to the Brighton thread?

Yep congratulations to the man that gave us the most depressing style of football whilst dismantling all the work done by Paul Lambert... Great work well done...

[quote user="hogesar"]Of course he could have done, but apparently Hughton deserves his own thread.[/quote]After the shambolic and apalling displays he put us all through - no he f**king doesn''t...I frankly couldn''t give a damn what Brighton have done, because when he was here, the football was truly dire and he got us relegated despite being given our biggest transfer budget in the process, and the only truly relevant factor is how he performed for us - NOT BRIGHTON.

Congratulations to him, hopefully (for his and Brightons sake) he''s learnt a lot from his time here because he created the worst style of football I''ve witnessed as a city fan.

Impressively he took us backwards almost as quickly as Lambert took us forwards.

[quote user="Ian"]Could you not have added this to the Brighton thread?[/quote]
LDC is no longer the focal point in that thread [;)]

[quote user="Ian"]Could you not have added this to the Brighton thread?[/quote]

This is about the man, not a football club. Likeable, honest and sincere and deserving all the accolades he is getting now.  He had a rocky time with us, but he has the chance next season to prove that the problems he had here were more to do with us, than him.   And by that I mean the lack of resources.  So he spent 26 million in the second season, but overall, it was not enough to raise the level to what was needed.  You can blame individual players, RVW, Snodgrass, Martin, Bassong or whoever, but as has been proved since, the problems go much deeper tham individuals. We''ve had a roller coaster of a few seasons since Lambert was appointed, but the underlying issues have become quite stark and in the open in the last four years.  There is not enough money and we can''t rely on a Lambert style saviour of  a manager to come along and sort us out every season - they can''t sustain it!    Lambert knew it wasn''t going to work long term in the premier league, Hughton failed to make it work long term, as did Neil.   So congratulating him comes back to common decency in my view. Hughton did his best at Norwich and it wasn''t enough and it wasn''t all his fault, but he was dignified and respectful throughout.

Okay Lakey, that''s an interesting justification. Either way, surely tributes to opposition managers should be in the "Other Football" section.

Am I the only person that thinks this is completely irrelevant?

Comparing Hughton''s stint here to Brighton is like comparing Lambert when he was here to Lambert at Villa

2 completely different scenarios, with completely different expectations of the team, both have had successes when being able to build yet failed when expected to produce immediate results?

Can''t say I have any affiliation to a man that took us from an entertaining, no fear side to a team bereft of ambition, attacking flair and confidence. He took us backwards and was in charge for 90% of a season in which we got relegated.

The acid test will be next season, Rogue.

Interestingly, 59 of their 73 goals have been scored by four players with Murray getting 22. Glen Murray is hardly going to be tearing up the PL next season, so Brighton are going to have to be clever in the transfer market next season, and Mr Hughton so far has a poor record out of getting goals from Premier League strikers. Next season you''d imagine they''ll try and defend well and nick the odd goal. Could be a dull season for Brighton fans, in a way that Middlesbrough have bored the league this season.

I agree, but on the flip side I''m not sure he can really fail.

Look at Sean Dyche, Alex Neil etc. They all took up teams & were remembered for that, even surviing relegation based on the promotion the season before.

I''m sure Hughton will get a ''free shot'' as fans will just be happy to be there (for a season) and everybody will expect Brighton to be relegated anyway

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="hogesar"]Of course he could have done, but apparently Hughton deserves his own thread.[/quote]After the shambolic and apalling displays he put us all through - no he f**king doesn''t...I frankly couldn''t give a damn what Brighton have done, because when he was here, the football was truly dire and he got us relegated despite being given our biggest transfer budget in the process, and the only truly relevant factor is how he performed for us - NOT BRIGHTON.[/quote]Whether that is the only relevant factor depends on what judgement you are making on Hughton. Far too many people went straight from "as manager of Norwich produced the most dire football I have ever seen" to "utterly hopeless manager full stop; goes into every match with no other intention than to avoid conceding; useless as far as attacking football is concerned", i.e. despite the evidence to the contrary from his Newcastle and Birmingham teams, they wrote Hughton off entirely as a manager. Now these same people will be on here writing him off as OK for the Championship but certain to fail dismally in the EPL and, as I said earlier, eagerly waiting to have their prejudices confirmed.

TBH I have very mixed feelings towards Hughton.  Following Lambert was always going to be tough and he managed to turn the team into a solid defensive unit in his first season, at the cost of playing some dire football.  The second season the wheels came off and IMO he takes the largest share of the blame for failing to make the necessary changes to the squad despite having a generous transfer budget by City standards.

So I find it hard to muster positive feelings about him and wouldn''t be rushing out with congratulations.  I have a mild curiosity about how he gets on next season.  He may well have learned from his failure in the Prem with us in his second season and it will be interesting to see whether he tries a different approach and has any more success than he did with us.

Hughton was the manager, and he''s the hypothetical situation - the folks near where I sit still laugh about this!!!

We are losing 1-0 with 20 minutes to go, what should we do? Take off the most forward attacker and bring on a defender to stop it being 2-0.

That was his mantra when he was here. The football was some of the worst in living memory, dire.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]Hughton was the manager, and he''s the hypothetical situation - the folks near where I sit still laugh about this!!!

We are losing 1-0 with 20 minutes to go, what should we do? Take off the most forward attacker and bring on a defender to stop it being 2-0.

That was his mantra when he was here. The football was some of the worst in living memory, dire.[/quote]
This is utter nonsense, people conveniently forgotten about the like of Grant, Roeder and Gunn. Now that was some real dire footballing times. Hughton gave us one of our highest finishes ever, memorable wins over Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City and when he left us we were 5 points clear of the drop.
To suggest it was the worst in living memory is frankly stupid when in the less than ten years ago we were effectively bottom of league one. Depressing to look at that table now given Southampton''s current position now and then. And our recent transfer mistakes look insignificant when we consider the delights of having half our team on loan or signing likes of Julian Brellier or David StÅ™ihavka. 
He''s a good manager and I wish Brighton well, hope he proves some of the sad bitter posters on here wrong.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="First Wazzock"]Hughton was the manager, and he''s the hypothetical situation - the folks near where I sit still laugh about this!!!

That was his mantra when he was here. The football was some of the worst in living memory, dire.[/quote]
This is utter nonsense, people conveniently forgotten about the like of Grant, Roeder and Gunn. Now that was some real dire footballing times. Hughton gave us one of our highest finishes ever, memorable wins over Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City and when he left us we were 5 points clear of the drop.
To suggest it was the worst in living memory is frankly stupid when in the less than ten years ago we were effectively bottom of league one. Depressing to look at that table now given Southampton''s current position now and then. And our recent transfer mistakes look insignificant when we consider the delights of having half our team on loan or signing likes of Julian Brellier or David StÅ™ihavka. 
He''s a good manager and I wish Brighton well, hope he proves some of the sad bitter posters on here wrong.
[/quote]When people say the worst in living memory I always think of the Hamilton era. His excuses after the match we so bad that we used to play ''Hamilton Remembers'' to pass the time during most games. ''Hamilton Remembers'' was played by saying how Hamilton would report on incidents in history for example, The Battle of Hastings would be ''we were doing great, just as planned considering the lads were tired after their last outing then the boy Harold gets one in the eye and we never recovered from that''.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]The acid test will be next season, Rogue.

Interestingly, 59 of their 73 goals have been scored by four players with Murray getting 22. Glen Murray is hardly going to be tearing up the PL next season, so Brighton are going to have to be clever in the transfer market next season, and Mr Hughton so far has a poor record out of getting goals from Premier League strikers. Next season you''d imagine they''ll try and defend well and nick the odd goal. Could be a dull season for Brighton fans, in a way that Middlesbrough have bored the league this season.[/quote]While managing Newcastle in the EPL from the start of the 2010-11 season until he was sacked in December, his record was P16, GF 24. That''s a better goals-per-game ratio than any of the current EPL teams bar the top 7 have managed this season. 

I care not one jot for Brighton and having not met Mr Hughton, I am not in a position to say whether he is sincere or honest etc. All i know is he left us in a much worst position than he when he took over

Think this has been posted on the wrong forum...

While ultimately Hughton failed at Norwich - the achievement of his first season should not be underplayed.

Lambert walked out after being told there were no significant funds for transfers and believing the club was on the way down but Hughton stepped in and delivered a higher league finish that the previous season. For me this was a bigger achievement that Lambert''s season in the Premier League.

You could see at the beginning of the 2nd season that Hughton wanted to develop a more attacking style of football, but lost faith in the teams ability to deliver it and returned to the defensive philosophies that had done him well the season beforehand. It didn''t work.

It is possible for a manager to fail over one season but still be a good manager. It will be interesting to see how he does next season and how much cash he has at Brighton to strengthen. They are a good addition to the Premier League and a club easy to support as a neutral.

Good luck to them and Hughton.

I have to say it bugs me when people harp on about Hughton getting a "higher league finish" than Lambert. 

Under Lambert we finished with 47 points which placed us 12th but more importantly, from relatively early on we were in a comfortable league position above the relegation scrap, which we maintained for the rest of the season.

Under Hughton, we finished with 44 points which placed us 11th, but until the last couple of games we were at risk of being caught up in the relegation fight, and winning our last two games (the 4-0 drubbing of WBA who collapsed and the amazing 3-2 win at Man City when they had just sacked their manager).  If we had drawn against WBA and lost at Man City in those last 2 games (which if you''d been predicting the results would have been much more likely than two wins, let''s face it) we''d have ended up on 39 points which would have placed us in 17th place, just below Sunderland and 3 points above Wigan who were relegated in 18th.  And being honest, that would have been a fairer reflection of our season overall.  But the Prem is so tight when you''re near the bottom that a couple of wins can catapult you up the table.

Given Lambert had a squad with hardly any players of genuine Premiership quality, personally I have no doubt that his was a much greater achievement.

[quote user="Mike "]I care not one jot for Brighton and having not met Mr Hughton, I am not in a position to say whether he is sincere or honest etc. All i know is he left us in a much worst position than he when he took over

Think this has been posted on the wrong forum...[/quote]On the contrary, he left us in a far better position than when he took over, in that keeping us up for a second consecutive season allowed the club to rid itself of the albatross of debt hanging round its neck. He also left us with a stronger squad than when he took over, and had begun the process of rebuilding the woefully inadequate backroom support facilities.