Sign in to follow this  
Coq au vin

Dorrans rumours

Just wondered what people''s thoughts are on Graham Dorrans should he leave come summer with the rumour of Rangers sniffing around..

At 29 he isn''t going to get any better.

On his day a very good Championship player, but not as good as Howson and the midfield looks unbalanced when they play together. To expensive in terms of wages to have as a back-up player.

I doubt Rangers could afford his wages to be honest.

Good player. Not sure there''s much difference between him and Howson personally, although Howson probably edges it. I very much like the idea of him as part of a 3 in midfield alongside a proper DM, Tettey maybe.

He''s good if you want to play a patient, possession game. Helps our defence by always dropping deeper to take the ball off them unlike others. Is quite slow though and pretty lightweight in the tackle. I''d actually play him alongside a proper defensive midfielder who sits and holds and drop Howson.

He''s not a left midfielder though.

Been one of the better cm this season (only one with a 50% win ratio) but not much in the way of good competition there.

But is firmly in the happy to sell for the right price/release wages category.

Would be nervous if we lost both him & howson - but not unhappy if that happened if we signed the right replacements.

I''d be disappointed if we sold him. I don''t consider him better than Tettey or Howson, but if either is unavailable, he''s a pretty able replacement and he''s useful if you wanted to go ultra defensive with him, Tettey and Howson in front of a back four.

We''re also likely to release Mulumbu, so that would be 2 central midfielders we''d need to buy - though we will have Louis Thompson coming back and the lesser-spotter Andreu and McGrandles.

How long do we have on Howson''s contract - if it ends in 2018, we might have to sell. I wouldn''t want to lose both.I think Dorrans is a good player and often underrated.

I like Dorrans and think he could still be a useful squad player. I think we lost something when O''Neil went and I see Dorrans in a similar vein albeit slightly more adventurous going forward. I am probably with ZLF on balance in that while I would rather have him, for the right money and right replacement would not be distraught either if he went. The defence is the main priority and should be fixed with urgency, I think the midfield with Thompson and Maddison in the mix also is in not too bad a shape and could wait until the defence is sorted.

Has been a good player for us, but like many, his future will depend on what is going to be the new Norwich City "style" of play.

Would much rather see Tettey and Mulumbu leave and see us sign a strong DM.

Four central midfield options of Thompson, Howson, Dorrans and a new DM would be potentially very strong with the likes of Pritchard, Wes or Maddison in front.

IMO Dorrans is far better than many give him credit for, and would be some way down my list of players to get shot of. I can''t quite see why we''d release him, as the Scottish link suggests, unless the finances are too tight for us - but you''d have thought Rangers can''t afford any more than us. Surely it''d be a move for next summer if at all.

Amazed at some of the criticism of Dorrans, a very solid capable player, i get he isn''t always stand out, but we always look a better side with him in. Hope the new coach keeps him aboard, could do worse.

Probably the best distributor of the ball we have from a deeper midfield position. I''d rather we kept Dorrans and Howson, binned off Tettey and Mulumbu, and got a more technically gifted (but still tough) DM to compete with Thompson.There will be so much turnover this summer, it makes sense to keep hold of technically strong and experienced players who are still under contract. Tettey and Mulumbu are way past their sell-by dates.

Didn''t think we should have signed after he was underwhelming on loan. If we can get anything in the way of fee then won''t be sad to see him go. Anonymous all too often.

Keep him, can do a decent job. Tettey one of the first out of the door for me.

I do wonder if these same people who don''t like Dorrans would have said the same of Phelan, for whom much of his good work went unnoticed but remains one of the better m/f that we''ve had.

Not good enough. Get rid. Can be good in the odd game but that''s not good enough to be challenging for promotion. Not consistent enough. And probably overpayed. None of the players over 28 years is not hungry and good enough to continue except maybe for Cameron Jerome.

Agreed. Howson and him once and for all dispelled the myth that we can''t do without Tettey. Best performance for a long time but players in those positions.

I definitely prefer him to tettey every time.

Just needs to work on his tackling and add a bit of bite to his game and then him alongside Howson are more than a match for most midfields in this league.

Together with a defence that can actually defend we should be back pushing for top two spot next season

2 wins on the bounce and only 1 goal conceded, against good opposition, with a midfield without Tettey. Of the 2, I''d personally rather keep Dorrans as I think he''s a far better player and we look more composed with him in the team.

Terrific performance from Dorrans this evening. His distribution from the back was excellent. Helped control the midfield and got us up the pitch. His defensive work was up to scratch too, which in the past has been the major concern when played alongside Howson. In that regard, we haven''t missed Tettey at all.