Sign in to follow this  
Tired

Uwe Rösler

There was an interesting article about Rosler today on The Guardian, which includes some of his thoughts on the Head Coach/Sporting Director structure:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/24/uwe-rosler-fleetwood-town-manchester-city-english-football-dark-side

"I think stability in English football is key and that comes with [having] people between the owners and the coaches,” ... "I’m a big fan of the role of the sporting director or the director of football, as long as he has a major influence – he needs to suggest the coach to the board, because he has to work with the coach 24/7."

"For example, I speak to Gretar Steinsson, the technical director at Fleetwood, more than I speak to my wife, and that was the same when I worked with Mark Warburton at Brentford."

"There must be absolute chemistry between those two positions, to build the short-, medium- and long-term future for the club. When you don’t have that person in between, the coach is just firefighting. So in England, in the Championship, you see good people, good coaches, losing their jobs."

Must admit I didn''t know much about him before reading it, but he seems like a very intelligent guy and a good manager too.

I was speaking to my friends at Fleetwood today and explained the new structure at NCFC.  Without prompting they said UR would be perfect for that - he only wants to concentrate on the first team squad and doesn''t want the wider responsibilities of a traditional English manager.
As I''ve said before, Fleetwood expect UR to move on in the summer but they can''t speak too highly about him.

Just read some Holty''s comments ( google) re Rosler, he definitely doesn''t like him and apparently reiterated that in a q & a last week.

Just wondering how that will affect Holty if it is Rosler who has the head coach job, as Im pretty sure that Holty would like to work at the club if he retires from football in the summer.

People''s thoughts?

My thoughts are that neither are here right now, and if Rosler was to be Webber''s man, then GH would become secondary to the argument.

Who cares what Grant Holt thinks? If Rosler is the best man for the job then we should take him without worrying what Grant Holt would think who isn''t even here any more, we aren''t a retirement home for ex players.

He was dull as sh*te when speaking on the football on five programme last night. His press conferences would be "joyful"...

What actually is Holt''s complaint? Is it simply hurt pride because (I am guessing here)  Rosler wouldn''t play him, which  might well have been the right decision? Or is it an honest assessement, based on sound reasons, that Rosler just isn''t a good manager, irrespective of how he treated Holt?

Don''t know Purple was just reading/thinking about the comments from Holty elsewhere, probably as others have said just disappointment at not being played and communicated with as he wished.

Don''t know that much about Rosler tbh but hes doing a good job at Fleetwood isnt he?

[quote user="Diane"]Don''t know Purple was just reading/thinking about the comments from Holty elsewhere, probably as others have said just disappointment at not being played and communicated with as he wished.

Don''t know that much about Rosler tbh but hes doing a good job at Fleetwood isnt he?[/quote]He is, Diane, and he seemed to do well at Brentford, but was less successful elsewhere. Anyway, congratulations on the fantastic success of the social club!

Fleetwood are a well financed and well run club - I think his achievements this season are being overstated. Not that I''m saying he wouldn''t be a success here.

Many of the names in the frame have seen their sides falter at the crunch time of the season. I''m hoping we pick someone up not previously mentioned.

Thanks Purple re social club.

Agree re Rosler, seems to be a good fit for a head coach and if he''s Webber choice thats good enough for me.

Point I was trying to make, not too well, is that don''t see Holty coming back in a coaching position if Rosler gets the job, though do agree with Alex that we shouldn''t be a retirement home for ex players.

FCC

Would love to see Fleetwood''s wage budget & spending compared to rest of league. Bet they are in the bottom half of the league for that. A team that finished where they did last year and probably spent nothing on fees in the summer is a huge achievement.

The impression I got of him last night on the Football on Five programme was of a disciplinarian who''ll take no sh1te from any prima donnas. This will be fine as long as he is successful. At this level players can wield more power hand in leagues 1 and 2.

They''ve spent £275k in the last 5 years, hardly splashing the cash. Wonder what the wage bills of Sheffield U, Bolton, Bradford, Charlton, MK Don''s, Millwall etc are.

To take them to where they are Rosler has done an amazing job.

I must say Rosler wouldn''t be top of my list- didn''t do well at Wigan or Leeds. If we were taking anyone from League One I''d like Darrell Clarke.

I''m still not sure on Rosler, he has a bit of a mixed bag of a record, but if he is the guy Webber wants that''s who we should go for if the ''project'' is to work.

For the record, my Brentford supporting friends to a man reckon Warburton was the main reason for their success from behind the scenes and he then took over the reins, saw them promoted and into Champs play-offs.

Debatable- he took Bristol to back to back promotions. Rosler hasn''t actually got a single promotion on his CV if I''m not mistaken? He does have two sackings though.

He''s done wonders with Fleetwood but it is only one season.

Whoever becomes head coach at NCFC they have to be prepared to work the European model that Webber brings. Most if not all English managers refuse to work this system as they want total control, which they will not get at NCFC.

If AN had been prepared to accept this, he would not have been sacked!

It just so happens that Germany, France and most of the Dutch clubs use the director of football system. Hence Rossler and Wagner being in the frame!

I''m not against the idea of Clarke, just think we are obviously targeting someone who''s currently in a job for a team who has something to play for hence the waiting til end of the season, Rosler or someone like Wagner or Monk (which i highly doubt).

Wagner gets my vote. Particular as he has worked with Webber, who thinks Huddersfield wont go much further.

There is also the small matter of bonuses at Huddersfield. Wagner will be in line for those and will not want to walk away when he has a one in four chance of taking Huddersfield to the PL. There is no reason whatsoever for him to leave Huddersfield until their season is over. For either them or us.

Really don''t think it''ll be Wagner. I think it''ll be another appointment like him though, someone completely left field, an up and coming coach from a big european club. No idea who though!