Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

Anyone defending Martins honour this evening?

Agree 100%. Not only the other CB''s but some of the defending from our fullbacks has been very poor but their mistakes get overlooked. Much as i loved watching Pinto, Olson, Dijks and Whittaker bomb forward their defending at times is less than impressive. Seems Russ has to take all the blame. In fact it seems certain sections of the crowd are waiting and hoping he makes a mistake to justify their continued criticism.

I don''t think anyone but the most trollish on here are suggesting all the blame lies with Martin. However over the last two seasons of shit defending I''d guess he''s played more than any other centre back so surely has to shoulder a solid portion of the blame?

I''d like to keep him as a back up and actually don''t think he''s as bad as some make out. However I have no truck with the idea that because he has a habit of ''fronting up'' in interviews that he is a great leader or should still be starting next season. I''d much rather he fronted up on the pitch.

Quick question - do you think it''s the CBs fault every single team we have played this season seems to be able to go from back to front in a couple of passes?

How many times have we seen teams break from our corners and cause massive trouble? Is blaming RM (who has won promotion several times) too simplistic a solution?

Perhaps a lack of tactical nouse and general solidity, coupled with an assumed arrogance from the majority of our squad is closer to the mark?

This idea that four managers have played Russ is irrelevant. Lambert and Hughton played him right back. It was Adams and Neil that played him centre half. In that those three seasons, we''ve had a half of a season where we''ve performed, the other two and a half have been poor with the defence being the biggest problem.

I have no issue with him being at the club as second choice right back or fifth choice centre half. To have him in the team virtually week in week out at centre half is suicide.

And of the seasons he played right back we had two promotions, two midtable Prem finishes and one relegation.

Facts don''t lie. He''s not big enough, strong enough, good enough in the air or tactically aware enough to play at centre half.