Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

Anyone defending Martins honour this evening?

I don''t think for a second that it''s an act when he does these interviews. It''s whether he''s good enough that''s up for debate.

He reminds me of Gareth Southgate as his career declined.

Chris Goreham labelled a similar interview a while back as ''brutally honest'' from Martin almost exactly a month ago.

I''m a little fed up of hearing from brutally honest Martin. Whilst I don''t think it''s an act, I certainly think the rhetoric needs changing- just constantly coming out and saying ''We haven''t been good enough'' doesn''t excuse constantly not being good enough.

I''m interested in what those criticising the interview think he should have said differently regarding all the raised points and questions asked?

Hogesar, two things, I don''t think Mr Webber will like being labelled as someone who "shoots from the hip", not the sort of person you want in control of and responsible position. Secondly, what''s he talking about getting tired playing in the Premier League every week??? Is he that clueless that he''s failed to realise he''s been playing in the Championship for the past season?

Get rid!!

Get rid ? Then we''re left with Klose. Personally i''d rather keep Russ. Another thing, with Russ gone, who would be your scapegoat for next season?

[quote user="sillysausage"]Get rid ? Then we''re left with Klose. Personally i''d rather keep Russ. Another thing, with Russ gone, who would be your scapegoat for next season?[/quote]Picking out what I can it appears that some weren''t giving their all because they wanted away (Brady,Olssen) or weren''t getting the games they felt they should (Pritchard, Bennett, Ruddy, Bassong). AN went because he was not able to change the mindset of those, and others who were not happy. Josh Murphy probably being one of the youngster frustrated at not playing. Martin has then merely echo''ed Webber''s words that players will need to be fully committed from now on. I should imagine that Irvine has been consulted about those who he feels won''t fully commit, for whatever reason. Whether Martin is up to the standard need next season is a moot point. What is not, is his confirmation that all was not well between certain players and AN.

I don''t think Webber will mind what Martin has said. In fact half that stuff probably came from Webber himself. Russ is media trained you know, and Webber will use him as club captain to get points across.

Anyone actually believe Webber told Martin to go out and say what he wants to the media? No doubt this was discussed and decided upon before the interview as a deliberate strategy. If not, Martin will be in huge sh*t and I can''t see that being the case.

Seems to me this interview is the start of an attempt to clear the air, explain away/close the chapter of the problems of this season, and get the fans back onboard and the club united for next season.

About time we got rid of the cushy atmosphere and players have to start fearing for their place and future at the club.

Russell Martin seems to be being criticised for doing things that he''s been criticised for not doing if that makes sense?

Accused of not being a leader, then gets criticised when he shows some leadership in an interview!

I''ve got absolutely no problem with constructive criticism of players, and Russell Martin is deserving of some, but some fans will find absolutely anything to beat him with, while conveniently forgetting the flaws of his peers in the team. In my opinion Martin has been our best central defender this season. Not perfect by any stretch, but Klose and Bennett have had absolute s hit shows too and you can apportion direct blame for probably a dozen goals between them.

@Hoola

How is giving an interview showing leadership though? I want him to show leadership on the pitch. He''s captain and a leader in the backline yet that same backline has been poor and appearing to lack leadership.

I think it''s pretty simplistic to point and say "You''re the captain, it''s your fault there appears to be no leadership".

Put it this way, he wasn''t a bad captain a couple of seasons ago.

Is it not also simplistic to say ''he was a decent captain two years ago so much be now.'' Or to praise someone for showing leadership because they gave an interview?

I''m not putting the lack of leadership on him solely but as a leader on the pitch and in the backline the constant lack of organisation, teamwork and responsibility does fall more on him than others. If he is such a great leader as many seem to claim then why is it not remotely apparent on the pitch?

Yes it is, but I wasn''t saying that it necessarily makes him a good captain now.

What I was trying to get across is no one questioned his ''leadership'' then but because we''ve been naff defensively this season then there''s a lot of blame being attached to him individually as the ''leader'', which I think is poorly judged.

You certainly don''t need to be a shouter on the pitch etc to be a leader. Plenty of quiet captains that do their work in the week leading up to the game behind closed doors and on the training pitch.

What I will say is him and Jerome are pretty much the only two who have given completely frank interviews. Martin is the only one who''s given the kind of interview we saw yesterday asking for unity - with or without him at the club.

That doesn''t make him a leader, but I hugely respect him and think he cares about the club far more than some give him credit for.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Russell Martin seems to be being criticised for doing things that he''s been criticised for not doing if that makes sense?

Accused of not being a leader, then gets criticised when he shows some leadership in an interview![/quote]

Martin has always shown leadership in interviews. Nobody (sane) is criticising him for what he says in interviews. he seems a decent presence in the dressing room and given it looks like being a time of transition i''d keep him around for next season as a squad player as I think a degree of continuity and some wise older heads will be important.

The problem though has been Martin''s lack of leadership on the pitch and also his continued selection at centre back. We have been lacking a spine and character and from my perspective some of that flows from the captain. Its difficult for a captain to lead by example and to command true respect when its fairly clear to all around that he is one of the weaker links in the side and is at fault for quite a lot of the calamitous defending.

shoot from the hip

''react without careful consideration of one''s words or actions''.

Playing in the Premier League

We haven''t been playing in the Premier League!

Media trained? The comment about shooting from the hip is disrespectful and saying that you''re tired from playing in the Premier League is nonsense, maybe true if we were in the Premier League.

Jesus f*ck did Martin sleep with your clearly significantly better other half?

Say what you like about Martin but he has been picked regularly by four managers for us and averages 35 appearances a season.

And of course has become an international (yes I know Scotland aren''t brilliant) with over 20 caps.

The defence rests.

To be fair, he''s totally correct.

He isn''t good enough.

I agree with him entirely on that, it''s difficult not to with the performances of the defense over past few seasons.

[quote user="Number9"]To be fair, he''s totally correct.

He isn''t good enough.

I agree with him entirely on that, it''s difficult not to with the performances of the defense over past few seasons.[/quote]

So why was the defence so good in 2014/2015, particularly the second half of the season?   Martin and Whittaker were key components of that defence.

Was it that good? When we went up I thought the two obvious areas to strengthen were centre half and right back. We waited until January and paid the price.

It seems slightly odd that Martin is apparently being blamed for being picked at CB - call me old fashioned but I always thought it was the manager/head coach who picks the team?

True Clint, but you''re forgetting all the posts which essentially claim Martin is capable of consistent mind-control and all of Hughton, Neil Adams, Alex Neil and their backroom-staff have all been victims. Oh, and Strachan too.

[quote user="hogesar"]True Clint, but you''re forgetting all the posts which essentially claim Martin is capable of consistent mind-control and all of Hughton, Neil Adams, Alex Neil and their backroom-staff have all been victims. Oh, and Strachan too.[/quote]Well frankly he should be using his mind control powers on:
  1. The rest of the team so that they are tactically flawless,
  2. The opposition, so they crumble before us,
  3. And the fans so they worship the ground Martin walks on.

The fact he has clearly failed to achieve any of this is shocking and a gross dereliction of his duties as telepathic master of Norwich City (as well as captain). Martin out!

[quote user="sillysausage"]So who would you play at centre back Sunday, Nuff. ?[/quote]

I''m not sure if you got that or not SS. But I would play Martin. Not that we have much choice do we?

Over the course of the season he''s been our best centre back this year. I know that''s not saying an awful lot even accounting for having to play in AN''s naive set up that exposed defenders badly most of the year but it does make me wonder why he gets singled out for criticism and boo''ed on his 300th game when our other CB''s who we bought for much more money and who are all supposedly natural centre backs by trade have been much worse.