Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

Anyone defending Martins honour this evening?

I can''t see that driving the same traffic but we could give it a go.
Bassong on the other hand....
He''s not even been playing but reckon we can get 10 pages blaming him for us not getting promoted.

Apology totally accepted Hoola.

I can understand you thinking I, and many like me are obsessed with highlighting Martin''s weaknesses whilst ignoring others but no other player has consistently "talked" their way into the team when their performances have not merited selection.

Some have never rated him, my personal criticism stems from the time he was played at centre back as injury cover and then went on a publicity crusade, informing everybody that he was a central defender and that was his best position. Successive managers have bought into this idea and still he is there. Of course our defensive problems are not solely down to him but he is pretty much the only CD fixture in these past couple of seasons. He simply does not have the necessary attributes to play in that position and that is why I and many others keep harping on about him.

I don''t think Martin has talked himself into the team. I just don''t think we''ve had anyone better unfortunately.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]Apology totally accepted Hoola.

I can understand you thinking I, and many like me are obsessed with highlighting Martin''s weaknesses whilst ignoring others but no other player has consistently "talked" their way into the team when their performances have not merited selection.

Some have never rated him, my personal criticism stems from the time he was played at centre back as injury cover and then went on a publicity crusade, informing everybody that he was a central defender and that was his best position. Successive managers have bought into this idea and still he is there. Of course our defensive problems are not solely down to him but he is pretty much the only CD fixture in these past couple of seasons. He simply does not have the necessary attributes to play in that position and that is why I and many others keep harping on about him.[/quote]successive managers ?all fooled by his eloquent words rather than his on field playdear me

Exactly, he even managed to trick his international manager and or coaching staff!

Would that be the same international manager who selects Naismith and on occasion Whittaker? Guess I should re-evaluate Martin in that case, Lafferty also, he''s another top international.

[quote user="Alf Tupperware"]yes, it''s not as if Lafferty ever scores for NI is it ?[/quote]
Against the mighty San Marino, Azerbaijan, Belarus or Faroe Islands...
Funny that when he plays against a side we''ve the slightest hint of quality he suddenly can''t score.

Lafferty isn''t a particularly good player, certainly not good enough for us, but it''s hard to argue about the performances and goals he''s contributed for his country.

[quote user="djc"]Hogs, i agree Dorrans was caught in possession. Disappointing to see he had an outlet, but didnt use it. Any of the defensive line would see Dorrans turning towards them with a Preston playing closing him. A shout for the ball from a teammate in space should have occurred. If this was my team I''d be f*cking angry to give the ball away so cheaply. Yet it seems to happen to often this season.[/quote]

Watching the highlights I think Dorrans has one touch, but miss-controls with his second touch which allows the Preston player to nick it off him.  Hard to criticise a team mate in any way for that.

Another abysmal performance from our captain.

Missed tackles, Missed headers, Poor positional sense and NO leadership.

He is integral to our defensive issues and needs to leave in the summer.

Webber over to you ! Listen to the majority on this occasion.

An embarrassment of a centre back and captain.

"The majority"? I haven''t seen a poll of our 35k+ fan base that has said Martin should go. IMO he needs to stay if not necessarily as a starter.

ViewfromtheJarrold wrote the following post at 29/04/2017 5:46 PM:

Another abysmal performance from our captain.

Missed tackles, Missed headers, Poor positional sense and NO leadership.

He is integral to our defensive issues and needs to leave in the summer.

Webber over to you ! Listen to the majority on this occasion.

An embarrassment of a centre back and captain.

I always thought the view from the jarrold was good? Evidently it''s shit though!

Before I get slated for giving Martin a hard time, I will just say that the whole defence needs a overhaul.

View From the Jarrold is right though, and the view he/she has had has been unobstructed, so he/she is in a good place to comment.

I wasn''t at the game today, but how many times did I hear the commentator say "an error from Martin.

The bloke has to go, we need a captain that gives strength to the team. He was out of his depth against Wood today, I think the term used was ''bullied''.

There are positives in the team, but a huge negative in our defence and Martin at the helm.

Get rid!

He will undoubtedly be moving on this summer. But hopefully not with stupid abuse behind him. He has given his best, but that now is not up to what we need.He''s not committed a crime or anything so cut out the abuse.

Unfortunately, Martin''s defending has created questions about his place in the team.

Unfortunately Martin''s leadership has created questions about his place as the Captain.

No abuse required, it''s time for a change.

Leeds first goal was something we''ve seen time and time again from Martin. Woeful. As others have said you can''t have a captain who costs us so many goals and consequently team mates can have no faith in. However it isn''t just Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Klose, Whittaker, Ruddy and McGovern all need to go. Can''t see many takers though.

Branston has not seen a poll of 35k supporters, the majority of whom would wish to see the back of Martin. Well you obviously will never get an opinion from that number of people.

The nearest you are likely to get is this week''s response in the EDP to their question "Which 15 players would you keep next season?"

Players like Pritchard and the Murphys had a percentage in the high 90''s. Martin was about 45% and not in the top 15. Scalewise, that''s as big a poll as you are likely to get and obviously gives the answer you were saying you had not seen.

You can run al the polls you want. The only decision that matters is the managers

I wasn''t listening to the commentary and have only seen the Iditarod highlights so maybe not a fair assessment but I didn''t see Martin as being directly responsible for any of the goals?

For the first Dijks is with Wood and makes almost no attempt to stop him. The second, Pritchard looks like he''s clearing the ball and then somehow doesn''t, I''m not really sure what happens. Bennett is in the mix and Murphy is laying on the floor. Not sure how the free kick came about for the third.

I personally just think the whole team are a shambles when it comes to defending so unfair to single one person out.

Clint, your view may change if you watched the game.

You might be able to form an opinion by watching the highlights.

The team is never ready to defend when they should be - at the start of each half; at set pieces; after we''ve scored.

The number of goals we have conceded in the last two seasons because of this very simple organisational failing is staggering. Part of that is down to the captain, whoever it may be.

When your captain is a centre back, that failing is unforgiveable. He should be screaming at people to concentrate, pick up their men etc but isn''t.

If he had done that last year, or frankly if anyone had done it , we would still be in the PL.

And my other comment on yesterday is: anyone who thinks John Ruddy is top Championship quality is delusional. He lets in so many goals that others would save - at least 2 of Leeds 3 were saveable by an agile keeper on their game. Someone like Declan Rudd maybe.

I think they''re all pretty culpable, having watched the highlights.

In particular, see the positioning of the back four for their first goal. Pinto is out on the wing, standing up the ball. Mitchell Dijks is the deepest man, and Wood gets the wrong side of him.

But the two centre backs are setting up in a 1-1 formation, so it looked a little like this:

Pinto

Martin

Bennett

Dijks *Woods*

Ruddy

It''s like a centre-forwards dream lineup. Watch Martin- his feet stay planted from the moment the cross is hit to the goal being scored. This is indicative of either the cardinal sin of ball-watching or the captain holding the offside line but failing to martial his defence to do the same. You could probably level similar criticism at Ruddy.

Martin, unsurprisingly, always defends like a right back playing in the middle; he watches what is to the front and right of him, but generally forgets about the rear and left as habit says there is another 3 defenders to deal with that. Add to that Bennett and his fondness for being caught in no-mans land, Dijks letting his man goal-side, Pinto defending with the over-zealousness of a Jack Russell and Ruddy failing to knock the CB''s heads together and get them positioned correctly... and you have 8th place in the Championship.

Hm. In the preview, Pinto was far right and Dijks was more to the left. Imagine it like that.