Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

Anyone defending Martins honour this evening?

The OP''s question did not really need to be asked. Not on here. There is and has always been a contingent who are prepared to look straight past Martin''s unsuitability as a CB. Instead, they listen to his self-acclaim and his constant spouting to the media and absorb every word of it. I do not doubt the excellent work he does for worthy causes, his attendance at supporter evenings etc. but the fact remains that he is little short of a joke as a CB at this level. This is never better demonstrated than when we win a corner. Every time, he runs the length of the pitch to compete for a header. He never gets near winning one because he doesn''t compete in the air (in either penalty area).

As a captain, he''s beaten before he starts because leading by example is just not his thing. Let''s just hope the new guy will not be swayed by his rhetoric in the way recent managers have.

In purely footballing terms the main problem he has at full back and to a lesser extent at centre half is his lack of pace now. He knows that one on one he is likely to get done for pace and so constantly backs off keeping 5-10yds and therefore allows the attacker to make much more ground either down the wing or towards goal than they should. There was a scenario on Friday where the striker was between the 18 and 6 yard box and he still wouldn''t get tight to him for the fear of getting skinned. Ultimately whatever kind of leader/pro he is his time is up. And he''s not the only one in that team. Lack of pace throughout the side is a massive issue.

@ Rogue Baboon

Klose by a mile, but he needs to be playing with another quality CH , yes he`s had a poor season but having a different partner most games then being dropped for what appeared to be non footballing reasons doesn`t help a player reach his potential. Just my opinion.

[quote user="Punting Canary"]In purely footballing terms the main problem he has at full back and to a lesser extent at centre half is his lack of pace now. He knows that one on one he is likely to get done for pace and so constantly backs off keeping 5-10yds and therefore allows the attacker to make much more ground either down the wing or towards goal than they should. There was a scenario on Friday where the striker was between the 18 and 6 yard box and he still wouldn''t get tight to him for the fear of getting skinned. Ultimately whatever kind of leader/pro he is his time is up. And he''s not the only one in that team. Lack of pace throughout the side is a massive issue.[/quote]I''m not to sure what the team has been issued with, but the rest I agree with. i suspect that both Martin and Hoolahan may move on in the summer. If it is becoming obvious now what will it be like this time next season. Both Holt annd Drury moved ''early'' (for some), as did Mackay. There also appears to be a lack of understanding at the back ie who should be marking who at set pieces. We seemed to have conced goals in almost every game, all too often silly goals where the marking was non existent.Busy summer ahead, methinks

Getting rid of Wes would be silly when he''s been proven to be a better option than anyone else. If Pritchard had managed to take his place and hold onto it this summer I would say otherwise. Plus it''s his testimonial year coming up and he has earnt that

[quote user="hogesar"]Getting rid of Wes would be silly when he''s been proven to be a better option than anyone else. If Pritchard had managed to take his place and hold onto it this summer I would say otherwise. Plus it''s his testimonial year coming up and he has earnt that[/quote]I can only see both Pritchard and Maddison improving, and Wes slipping out of the frame. Best to quit whilst you are ahead.As to the testimonial then did not Drury leave shortly after his ?Don''t get me wrong, on his day Wes is a genius. My thought is that ''his day'' will become less and less.

The Preston highlights dont show Martin out in too good a light once again. Dorrans gets caught in the middle of the park when he clearly has a 20yard backpass to RM. GD either doesn''t have faith in RM to play it, or RM wasn''t calling\demanding for the ball to be played.

Second half, RM gets caught call watching as a 40yard pass drops over his head fr the Preston player to volley just wide. Either RM switches off whilst ball watching or he''s simply standing in the wrong place with enough time to move his feet. I cant believe he got a call from players around him to leave the ball and not try to head it clear. Any decent defender would be taking responsibility to clear it.

[quote user="djc"]The Preston highlights dont show Martin out in too good a light once again. Dorrans gets caught in the middle of the park when he clearly has a 20yard backpass to RM. GD either doesn''t have faith in RM to play it, or RM wasn''t calling\demanding for the ball to be played.[/quote]
People might not like the way I express myself on here but this post highlights everything that''s wrong with some NCFC fans in trying to apportion blame onto a ''scapegoat''. I''m a massive Dorrans fan but to blame Martin for Dorrans losing the ball / not playing a backpass is laughable.

My favourite post on this thread is the one that says Klose''s bang average season is the fault of his centre back partner. Scapegoating at its finest.

Welcome to the morons thread danielsroundabout. You''ll fit in well. After a decent 3-1 away win you really have to questions fans that log on to tear Russell Martin to pieces.

Why allow his clear deficiencies to be brushed under the carpet because we managed a win? He''ll be in front of the press ahead of Friday''s game, claiming credit for today''s victory.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="djc"]The Preston highlights dont show Martin out in too good a light once again. Dorrans gets caught in the middle of the park when he clearly has a 20yard backpass to RM. GD either doesn''t have faith in RM to play it, or RM wasn''t calling\demanding for the ball to be played.[/quote]
People might not like the way I express myself on here but this post highlights everything that''s wrong with some NCFC fans in trying to apportion blame onto a ''scapegoat''. I''m a massive Dorrans fan but to blame Martin for Dorrans losing the ball / not playing a backpass is laughable.
[/quote]

Hey Hog, there was no blame given directly to Martin in my post. Just stating from viewing the highlight that the easy simple pass was on, yet not given for some reason.

"Why allow his clear deficiencies to be brushed under the carpet because we managed a win?"

I agree. So in the interest of fairness and balance, you''d better constructively criticise every other player''s performance today. Fill your boots, son.

One day Hoolahan, you might come to realise (although probably not), that personally abusing anybody who holds a different view to yours, says far more about you than it says about those you attack. I am referring to the moron reference.

[quote user="djc"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="djc"]The Preston highlights dont show Martin out in too good a light once again. Dorrans gets caught in the middle of the park when he clearly has a 20yard backpass to RM. GD either doesn''t have faith in RM to play it, or RM wasn''t calling\demanding for the ball to be played.[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey Hog, there was no blame given directly to Martin in my post. Just stating from viewing the highlight that the easy simple pass was on, yet not given for some reason.[/quote]
Fair play but you''re using Dorrans not making the pass and saying it doesn''t show ''Martin out in too good a light''. That sounds like a desperate attempt to lay blame. It could be Dorrans didn''t see the pass, thought he had more time, thought he could take a touch inside, or simply lost concentration himself. 
If anything, all it shows is Martin positioned himself to allow for the pass.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]One day Hoolahan, you might come to realise (although probably not), that personally abusing anybody who holds a different view to yours, says far more about you than it says about those you attack. I am referring to the moron reference.[/quote]
He has a point though.

[quote user="Alf Tupperware"][quote user="hogesar"]Getting rid of Wes would be silly when he''s been proven to be a better option than anyone else. If Pritchard had managed to take his place and hold onto it this summer I would say otherwise. Plus it''s his testimonial year coming up and he has earnt that[/quote]I can only see both Pritchard and Maddison improving, and Wes slipping out of the frame. Best to quit whilst you are ahead.As to the testimonial then did not Drury leave shortly after his ?Don''t get me wrong, on his day Wes is a genius. My thought is that ''his day'' will become less and less.[/quote]
I agree that (hopefully, really) Wes becomes more of a bit part player next season because of the improvement in the younger players but I wouldn''t take the risk of just letting him go - he''s still been our most consistent of the three this season and alongside that - what better mentor for Maddison and Pritch anyway?
I too think his day will become less and less but in this league, at home, 9 times out of 10, he''ll be dangerous. And 4 or 5 out of 10, he''ll be unplayable. 

You kind of proved my point though. You have an agenda against Russell Martin and take glee in pointing out all his errors while conveniently forgetting his good moments. Fair enough, but to not apply the same principle to countless other underperforming members of our squad shows you are just scapegoating. If we were to have a discussion about our squad this season, we could pick apart the mistakes and decencies in any number of players.

I apologise for the moron tag 👍🏻.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]I too have a point Hogesar and mine applies to you more than anyone on here.[/quote]
Had a feeling it might [:D]

Hog. If the captain is not vocal enough to be heard from 20yards on a pitch in an almost empty stadium then something is clearly wrong.

I''m not wanting an argument on here, I was just posting my opinion on the highlights based on a view having played many years at centre half myself.

For example, Ryan Bennett is an atrocious defender that wouldn''t look out of place in League One.

McGovern has been at fault for at least a dozen goals.

Klose has been directly responsible for the concession of at least four or five goals.

Pinto has been guilty of poor defending, most notably for Ipswich''s goal at home.

John Ruddy has made a few cock ups.

The midfield in front of the defence has been guilty of not picking up runners.

So while Russell Martin has been part of a poor defence, highlighting him as the biggest problem is well wide of the mark. In truth this summer needs to see him replaced as well as at least two or three of his defensive colleagues, and a new keeper isn''t out of the question too.

Clearly on pitch communication is poor amongst the team. You can watch local Sunday league players talking better to each other, shouts of "man on", "clear it", etc etc etc.

[quote user="djc"]Hog. If the captain is not vocal enough to be heard from 20yards on a pitch in an almost empty stadium then something is clearly wrong.

I''m not wanting an argument on here, I was just posting my opinion on the highlights based on a view having played many years at centre half myself.[/quote]
We''re not arguing, we''re discussing. Maybe Martin wasn''t vocal enough but that still doesn''t make it his mistake in my book - it was Dorrans; who then went on to score a great goal so not too many complaints. 

"Tommy Spurr rose unmarked to plant Paul Gallagher’s free kick beyond

John Ruddy. Jonny Howson appeared to mis-judge the flight of the

delivery to spark a sustained home onslaught."Bloody Martin, disguising himself as Jonny. Not a good thing for a captain to do.

Hogs, i agree Dorrans was caught in possession. Disappointing to see he had an outlet, but didnt use it. Any of the defensive line would see Dorrans turning towards them with a Preston playing closing him. A shout for the ball from a teammate in space should have occurred. If this was my team I''d be f*cking angry to give the ball away so cheaply. Yet it seems to happen to often this season.