Sign in to follow this  
Commando Canary

Anyone defending Martins honour this evening?

Ha ha ha, it might be offensive to some, but ''tit'' is NOT a swear word. Get a grip, making an argument for arguments sake!

Before wading in with accusations, get your facts right!

Russell Martin is the best centre back we have on our books, and the only one to start regularly by two managers. Name a better one.......

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I must have missed something, Martin didn''t do that badly today - certainly didn''t shoot us in the foot with a ridiculous pen - why make him scapegoat yet again?[/quote]Is it a coincience then that both Fulham goals in open play came from the right side of defence Martin needs to go in the shake up any sign of pressure in defence he is found wanting,

The other defenders were not the ones cupping their ears to the crowd last week. Bennett was rubbish and should go with Bassong and Turner but watch their third goal and the break they had shortly beforehand and look at Martins positioning. He is always out of position, regularly the wrong side of his man and I think must be incredibly hard to play alongside because he does not have the natural instincts or movements of a centre half. Three new defenders needed this summer please.

None of our defenders are any good and all need replacing. Dirks will not be staying and Pinto could be salvaged as an attacking wide midfielder. The rest should be shown the door and recruitment focused on their replacements.

Is his ''honour'' really isn''t question ?Footballing ability, but honour

ps well done to the OP for finding his little used login details

[quote user="lappinitup"]Russell Martin is the best centre back we have on our books, and the only one to start regularly by two managers. Name a better one.......[/quote]The problem is though Lapps, Russ is the best of a very bad bunch. We haven''t looked this poor at the back since the days of the Doc. Now don''t get me wrong, in spite of my little quip earlier in this thread, I have a ton of respect for him. The one time I met him he seemed a thoroughly decent chap, and those I know that have spent more time around him than me have nothing but good things to say about him. His commitment to City is also an admirable quality, and something that is lacking from many of the players that have been signed since he made his debut for us and I think he is a good club captain, but not so good on the pitch.That said though I have always had my doubts about him as a center back and still maintain that his best position is right back. I still think he can do a job for us there, and would like to see him play there more often. Next season I would like us to keep Russ in the squad but we must add two or three center backs that will be ahead of him in the pecking order. If we add quality in Russ''s preferred position I think we will have a chance of going up next season. However failure to do so will more than likely see us finish in a lower spot than where ever we finish this year.

So why did nobody moan about his goal celebrations last week? Last week "whataman for dedicating his goal to Pete Oldfield and his family". This week "he''s waiving his captains armband about" presumably to taunt the crowd.
Russ is not the best CB we''ve ever had but certainly not the worst. He''s not even the worst at the club right now. Bennett was the best when he was on the bench but then someone started playing him again.....

Martin should be playing RB, he''s far better defensively than Pinto in that position. Everybody loves Pinto but he''s out of position for so many goals it''s just silly.

The trouble is the way we have been playing full backs Russ is poorer than Whitts because Whitts and Pinto offer more attacking threat. When Alex neil came in the fullbacks were a huge part of that run to Wembley and the win. But they then were defensively exposed in the PL and that carried on this season. It''s a funny world now where defenders have to be competent attackers and midfielders have to be competent defenders. I can''t help wondering why they don''t just change roles[;)]

Is it a coincience then that both Fulham goals in open play came from the right side of defence Martin needs to go in the shake up any sign of pressure in defence he is found wanting.

Pliff, nothing to do then with the fact Klose was out at left back, missed placed a pass and left RM on his own at CB?

Is RM the best CB in the world, no, is he the best CB we have at the moment, imo yes. The lad did nothing wrong today, yet others did, but for some reason certain posters, who the last time they ranted about RM thought 10 minus 1 equalled 10, yes that''s you Canary Utd II, think he is to blame for everything that goes wrong on the pitch.

Oh dear Canary Utd & IBT....

Look. I''ve had years of good football debate on here with some really good posters. A lot of that has involved honesty, a bit of humour and hopefully a bit of evidence to back up what each other is saying.

If being honest makes me obnoxious / like I own the board / whatever else then fair enough. Just make sure you realise you ain''t stopping the way I post on here.

I agree he''s better at Right Back but he doesnt want to play Right Back anymore, he has stated as much. I think his mental approach when played there isnt totally right (i think he looks imo as if he thinks "i''m just filling in" hence he doesnt look as good in that position as he used to. Alot stems from when he started playing for Scotland at CB, admittedly very well especially early on, however the management of our club should have seen he wasnt up to it there, but through a combination of not strengthening in that position and poor competition he''s held down the CB position often as first choice.

"Russell Martin is the best centre back we have on our books, and the only one to start regularly by two managers. Name a better one......."

That really isn''t anything to boast about.

Happy to defend Russ, one of the very few who cares about the club, but also one of the many who has not had his best season.

Not brilliant, but think he would work well as the right of 3 centre backs.

With wingers, overlapping full backs, and the defensive midfielder not slotting in when the full backs charge forward, all of our central defenders have too much ground to cover and no shape to the backline.

Hoolahan and Naismith don''t score enough to support a lone striker.

We need a style of play, and then the players with the ability, discipline, and work ethic, to want to be part of a team. Players with some backbone and desire as well.

Russ ticks enough of those boxes for me, many others don''t.

Put it this way, I can see Russ staying at Bennett, Bassong, Klose and Turner all leaving.

@ hogarse

No. But I am saying your opinion is f*cking stupid and devoid of logic and facts.

Nice ! So as you claim to sit just in front of me , you didn''t see RM watch the ball drop over his head to the feet of Matt Smith ? Luckily , Smith fluffed it and Klose cleared from Ruddy save with his shin .

Russell Martin is just as bad as Klose and Bennett ,, Turner,, Bassong ,, the only question is , why have we persisted for so long with this weak and pathetic defence ?

Great. I''ve got you to deal with now too!

No, I''ve never said Martin doesn''t make mistakes nor have I said he''s the perfect defender. Heck, I''ve never even said I want him starting next year!

But he''s the best of a bad bunch. I''m pretty sure you were one of the ones telling me I haven''t got a clue Bennett is so much better etc. So I can understand why you''re in a p*ss, after getting something so monumentally wrong.

It''s your manner hogesar, you just aren''t a very pleasant individual, you haven''t GOT to deal with anyone, just accept that other people have different opinions to that of yourself, and by swearing and shouting the loudest won''t make you right or have the definitive answer. I wondered how long it would be until Morty''s shoes were filled, I think we have a front runner in you...

Just look at their second goal, we are in possession passing amongsr our back four the ball ends up with Martin who then makes a suicidal 10 yard pass to Howson who is marked the Fulham player steps in takes the ball Howson clips him to halt play then heyho Bennett adds to our woes. If Martin had launched the ball forward we wouldn''t have been in that possession.

I rate Martin as an average right back a centre half he has never been and never will be.

Whilst I like Martin I do not understand how he decides where he plays. This is player power in the extreme. He was great as a RB under Lambert and should just accept that is where he should be playing, if at all.

[quote user="Canary Utd II"]It''s your manner hogesar, you just aren''t a very pleasant individual, you haven''t GOT to deal with anyone, just accept that other people have different opinions to that of yourself, and by swearing and shouting the loudest won''t make you right or have the definitive answer. I wondered how long it would be until Morty''s shoes were filled, I think we have a front runner in you... [/quote]
Maybe we have different matching criteria. 
You could always try watching the football to come up with a more balanced view point. Then we''d probably be able to have a football related discussion.
P.S - Morty was a good poster. I have no problem being associated...

Russell Martin cost the club about 100k, Klose was about £8 million. I know which I believe to have been the better player for the club. Though in Klose''s defence he does keep an active twitter account so obviously that cuts him slack on the pitch!

This thread has gone off track slightly, mainly due to the less than insightful ramblings of Hogarse.

This was never a thread about comparing our defenders, who in my opinion are all pretty garbage, it was a thread suggesting RM should bee dropped because he is a crap player and crap captain. Who cares whether Bennett is worse???

The fact is the player that calls himself our captain is not up to it and hasnt been for a number of seasons.

He is one of the major problems with the club at the moment in that his attitude and arrogance show him as somebody who thinks he is bigger than the club and should not be criticised...The cupping the ears thing reflects that.

I agree Canary Untd - Worst Captain, Crap Player and should be shipped out with Alex Neill!

I reckon a AN & RM double act at somewhere like Inverness Caledonian Thistle would be about the right level!!

well we will need to buy at least three good defenders from somewhere - on that everyone on this thread agrees.

It says something about the Scotland national team that Gordon Strachan thinks he is a world-cup-qualifier level of centre back however, so perhaps I''d agree that he isn''t our worst one.

If he stays in squad here, I agree we should definitely change the captain next season, and I''d like some more leaders on the pitch please.

Russell Martin is like the stereotypical teacher''s pet. And has kept his place under multiple managers for this reason. Dire captain and even worse performer on the pitch, why on earth is he still even here? He can''t handle any sort of criticism and thinks he''s earned the right to give it back to the fans.

Seems ''Russell Martin bashing'' has become a new pastime for some. Like Ray says, RM may not be a world class defender however he is probably the best we have right now.

I enjoy seeing Pinto & Dijks marauding up & down, however that can leave defence over-exposed. Russell Martin on the right of 3 centre-backs seems an ideal position for him. Should we appoint a foreign manager (German in particular) I also think we could see far more from Timm Klose on the left of a 3. That would mean recruiting one truly dominant CB + one like-minded deputy. I''m assuming Ryan Bennett & Turner are already out of the picture.

Given Ryan Bennett single-handedly cost 2 goals against Fulham it''s amazing some supporters find it more appropriate to criticise Russell Martin who did not.