Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Nathan Redmond

I noticed he made his England debut tonight, personally I alway rated Redmond and thought he got unfair stick when he was here.

Simple question though, does his rise to elevation show either a) how much he has grown since he left us, b) that we have a number of supporters who don''t recognise talent or c) a bit of both?

He was selected by the England manager, who managed to nurture some of Redmonds finest performances during their time together with the under21s.

Both.

But considering our own fans berated our own young winger you can probably lean more towards b

Positional and tactical.

Redmond played in a 343 last night in a fluid 3/4 position. He has typically played as a 10 or similar 3/4 role for the U21''s and Southampton.

This minimises his liabilities and emphasises his abilities as advised some years ago in the Masterclasses.

Parma

Thanks Parma,

Do you see both the Murphy''s developing similarly. I have a view that they develop it should enable us to play a more solid 4-1-2-3 away from home utilising their pace and directness on the counter attack.

We do need to identify and bring in a deep lying midfielder with the ability to keep their discipline/shape, pas the ball and set our tempo in the new year. Wonder if Bournemouth would let us have surman back?

I moaned about Redmond not utilising his obvious talents, to the best of his ability. Is that down to attitude, confidence or coaching? For me, a bit of all 3.

He had, in his armoury, talents that no one else in our squad had, but failed to produce them on a consistent basis. 1 good game in a few was just not good enough.

I was very frustrated that he didn''t produce, anywhere near enough, for my team.

It is to do with his typical starting and finishing positions.

There is a great difference in defensive shape on turnover with players like the Redmond or the Murphys in modern football whether they typical play in-to-out or out-to-in.

If they do not have a natural instinct to take up correct defensive positions - even lamp post standing has benefits if ''stood'' in the correct position - then tactical adjustments in shape, formation and coaching instruction must be made to minimise their weaknesses.

This is the cost-versus-benefit equation of decisions, players and tactics that many Masterclasses focused on.

Without fundamental neurological work, base instinct tendencies are rarely overridden by football-only drill training. At least not when under the keenest pressure.

Parma

Big O: "We do need to identify and bring in a deep lying midfielder with the ability to keep their discipline/shape, pas the ball and set our tempo in the new year."

Dorrans?

Yes agree Parma, perfect formation for him, pace in transition and a high press when necessary👍

I wonder how many managers will look at that performance and, personnel permitting, adopt the same tactics to get the maximum out of their forward players.

Have I missed some sarcasm here?

Redmond didn''t do anything ''amazing'' when he came on...

Nor was England''s attacking style worth copying.

England''s back 3/5 would make Alex Neil proud with all that sideways passing.

I thought they looked like they had a formation that suited them: they looked more dangerous than any England side I have seen for some time.

Germany barely got out of second gear though. Imo England looked good because we were allowed to look good.

You can draw absolutely nothing from these friendlies. Look at our qualifying and friendly records under Capello and Hodgson. Qualifiers against bigger nations and when the world cup rolls around will be the time to judge this England set up.

Perhaps the reason he could only make the bench on a number of occasions is probably down to having a Conference Manager and a coaching staff from MacDonald''s

Saw Redmond on his second game for City in the friendly in Sacramento and stated on this site that we would sell him in the future for 7 million. I was shouted down as an idiot by the usual suspects

Wise words. Many seek to think that Redmond should play at fullback, centre half and winger at the same time. Much like Snodgrass he has gone to a team which value his talents. Good luck to him.

The vast majority have always supported and liked Snodgrass and and Redmond though. Murphy only got abuse from literally a handful of morons. We shouldn''t judge our supporters by the lowest common denominator.

Every club has their idiots. Most have always liked both of them. Redmond was getting pelters at Southampton for the first third of this season as well by the way.

They''re performing better because they''re surrounded by better and more intelligent players and under better coaches. More passing options, quicker players to run onto through balls, better cover from their team mates etc

That''s it. Neither underperformed here (I''d disagree, particularly with Snoddy) because of a few heckles in odd games and criticism on a messageboard.

Positional and tactical.

Redmond played in a 343 last night in a fluid 3/4 position. He has typically played as a 10 or similar 3/4 role for the U21''s and Southampton.

This minimises his liabilities and emphasises his abilities as advised some years ago in the Masterclasses.

Parma

This is what transformed Wes from a liability into the lynchpin he is now

classic case of a pacy, attacking winger. Using him obviously put lots of strain on the defence but quite often, at least at championship level he was such a game changer or at least pegged the opposition back that it was worth putting him in. someone like redmond who is basically not going to do his defensive duties (yes he can work hard but he simply hasn''t got the ability to defend well) can be hard to accommodate for a side near the lower end of the table. he thrives in games when his side is on the front foot or at least holds their own on the counter a bit like hucks did for us.

it''s also a bit of a waste when there isn''t the personnel to take advantage of redmond stretching the defence and work in tandem with him. that''s when you can sometimes see him seemingly sulking and drifting out of the game. same can be said for both murphys or at England level Sterling.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15409947.Redmond_valued_at_around___53m/

What a fookin bargain.

If Redmond is valued at £53m then we need to be holding out for at least £25m for Josh and not a penny less. The reason we only managed to recoup around £10m for Redders was that he was in the final year of his contract. Josh however, still has 4 years to run and as such (plus taking into consideration the stupid hyper-inflated prices Premier League clubs are now paying for average players) the price any team from the top flight should pay should reflect the fact that we have the player under-contract until he is 26.

It''s all bollox really but it does make me think that if we do let Murphy go, which I hope and pray we don''t, £15-20 m is the right sort of range.