Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

A few (nice) selection dilemmas for Tuesday

Tettey back for Mulumbu possibly with the latter tired after two games.

Jerome or Oliveira up front?

Hard to drop either Pritchard or Wes but I suspect he will feel that playing both against Newcastle is risky.

Pritchard to remain in team for me. He got rested/dropped after scoring in an excellent performance previously. Lesson learned I hope?

Jerome on from the bench after Olive has battered Newcastle defence around for an hour or so.

Tettey has not been great this season and for me Mulumbu is a definite starter. Is more mobile and we need a marauding midfielder who gets stuck in without being booked !! Yes, he will tire and then Tettey to come on for the last 20 minutes. Whilst being a Cam fan, partly because of his effort, Oliviera had a great game yesterday, and reminded me of our recent legendary striker, a total pain in the backside for the opposing defence. We are more than capable of beating Newcastle who on recent form are nothing special. Finally it will help if Ruddy comes off his line, even for 3 yards, to pick up crosses etc.

Should stick with Pritchard and Wes, you could see Pritchards confidence growing as the match went on. I also think that they link much better with Oliveira than Jerome

Change have to be made for this match imo.  Newcastle with Mr Squad Rotation in charge will freshen up his team with four or five changes.  If we don''t do similar, we will have the same problem as against Huddersfield who did the same - and we''ll be in danger of being slower out of the blocks than Newcastle and put on the back foot straight away. 

It depends who is in good shape and who is feeling the effects of the heavy schedule. The starting eleven need to be as fresh as possible without making too many changes. I''m sure the management team will get the balance right.

I''m all for horses for courses n all that but i can''t help think AN is making a back for himself if he drops Pritchard/Wes for next game.

Hugely tempting to just stick with same XI and go for it.

[quote user="Chemical Bro"]I''m all for horses for courses n all that but i can''t help think AN is making a back for himself if he drops Pritchard/Wes for next game.

Hugely tempting to just stick with same XI and go for it.[/quote]I think there will be a tinker of the formation, I think the key to keeping Newcastle quiet is stopping Shelvey.

Yep, agree with stopping Shelvey ( always disliked him ever since I think he kind of rejected us) plus dislike Mitrovic but he may be suspended?

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]I reckon both Tettey and Jerome will start and I have a feeling we will start with one of Hoolahan or Pritchard......[/quote]That doesn''t sound far off to me[Y]

My thoughts exactly FadedJaded. I think Jerome was rested to start Newcastle. ...just unsure about Wes or Pritchard because cannot imagine both will play.

Maybe his subs yesterday told us what we needed to know.

Pritchard played full game whilst Hoolahan came off.

Oliveira also played full game.

So i guess on that basis Pritchard and oliveira could make way Tuesday. Hope not but can see the logic.

[quote user="Chemical Bro"]Maybe his subs yesterday told us what we needed to know.

Pritchard played full game whilst Hoolahan came off.

Oliveira also played full game.

So i guess on that basis Pritchard and oliveira could make way Tuesday. Hope not but can see the logic.[/quote]That would make sense, add to that Jacob for Josh, Tettey for Mulumbu and you would have four fresher players starting the match, with Pritchard, Oliveira and Josh able to come on as subs.

I take it back actually as just remembered pinto went off after a heavy challenge as precaution and dijks was given a rest so i suppose u can''t read too much into it.

If he drops Pritchard the only logical replacement is Wildschut and he doesn''t look up to speed as of yet.

Unless of course the formation all together will change.

Lots to ponder

[quote user="cypriotcanary"]But will both the fullbacks be available or were they taken off as a precaution because of slight knocks when 3 goals up.[/quote]I read somewhere that Alex said they both should be okay.

Are we in a place where we are happy with him making changes now, by the way?Because he has been accused of tinkering, or is that only when the changes don''t work?

I think we are in a place where it''s ok for him to make changes where we''ve got players who are much of a muchness or who need resting.

I expect Tettey to come in for Mulumbu and maybe Pritchard to be on the bench if he thinks the three we started with yesterday is too attacking/lightweight in which case Wilschut may start. I don''t see why you would play Jacob ahead of Josh after the latter had a good game. His confidence should be high and he''s not played much so won''t be burnt out. Jacob has not done much of late.

Jerome for Oliveira tight call as well.

I don''t think we should be making/considering more changes than that.

Rather we kept same side after such an impressive win and i don''t think anyone would complain about it pre match Tuesday.

They''re a top side but so are we at home.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I think we are in a place where it''s ok for him to make changes where we''ve got players who are much of a muchness or who need resting.

I expect Tettey to come in for Mulumbu and maybe Pritchard to be on the bench if he thinks the three we started with yesterday is too attacking/lightweight in which case Wilschut may start. I don''t see why you would play Jacob ahead of Josh after the latter had a good game. His confidence should be high and he''s not played much so won''t be burnt out. Jacob has not done much of late.

Jerome for Oliveira tight call as well.

I don''t think we should be making/considering more changes than that.[/quote]Yeah, thats pretty much what I think.Really not sure about Jerome / Olviera. They both bring very different things to how we play.Really hope Naismith makes a sudden recovery.

Guess it will depend what style he wants to play Morty and what their weaknesses are at the back. Oliveira brings a bit more finesse and I think is the option if we are looking to play more of a possession game. Jerome is probably the option if we are looking to go a bit more physical and direct.

If all fit would keep the same team, including mulumbu. If Naismith fit would play him though, for Wes maybe. Think Naismith would battle well with Shelvey.