Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Newcastle

2011, we surprised Newcastle with a 442 formation and did the business, winning 4-2.  AN tried 442 against Wigan and it will be interesting to see if he tries it again, maybe even on Tuesday.  There will surely be the odd change or two from Saturday''s team (Newcastle will freshen up their team from Saturday so we will have to, imo). As a 442, similar to Wigan away -                     Ruddy      Pinto Martin Klose Dijks  Jacob  Howson Tettey Pritchard            Oliveira Jerome Wes/Josh to come on later in the game. 

I suspect Tettey and Jerome will come in for Mulumbu and Nelson. I also very much doubt Wes or Pritchard will play wide left as Wes did on Saturday. A fair chance in my view that Wes will play behind Jerome and Wildschut will start, though wouldn''t rule out Nelson keeping his place.

I remember the game in 2011 very well; Newcastle had an injury/suspension crisis and their defence was totally changed from the previous games, including both centre backs were missing. Lambert put two up front and hit the ball high and long to Holt and Morison , who rattled the stand in CB''s. It was a highly tactical decision based on the circumstances.

I suspect it will have absolutely no bearing on the game on Tuesday.

Ruddy

Pinto Martin Klose Dijks

Jacob Howson Tetty Wildschut

Pritchard

Jerome

I think the whole starting 11 from the last match deserves to start, however I think against Newcastle we will need more physicality. That is why I include Wildshut even though he hasn''t contributed anything significant to the team yet. Josh was fantastic against NFFC but Jacob is on par with him but probably in better condition. Jerome, again he adds physicality and should also be in better condition than Oliviera, plus the guy always puts 100% effort in every game.

Subs: Oliviera, Hoolahan, Josh Murphy, Mulumbu, Bennett, Whittaker and McGovern

If possible I''d keep the same XI apart from Tettey ahead of Mulumbu.

I can see him wanting to play Yanic ahead of one of Wes or Pritchard though.

So we don''t like Alex Neil''s tinkering, but we think we should tinker for Tuesday?...

I would keep the same starting 11 for me, most of those lads won''t be feeling a thing today and will be fine tomorrow. Josh deserves his place over his brother and I don''t see what he''s done to be deserving of being put back on the bench. Oliveira to start, love CamJam, but Nelson is more clinical, cool, and the better striker, so unless injured he doesn''t deserve to lose his place. Mulumbu I think is playing better than Tettey. Basically, the 11 on Saturday is as strong a footballing line up as we could put out, and in my eyes, a stronger 11 than what Newcastle can put out. So let''s give them a good hiding in our own back yard playing good football please, and remind the rest of the division that thanks to underachieving during that awful spell, we''re in a false position, which I firmly believe to be the case. OTBC!

If you want to beat Newcastle you have to match up to Shelvey, Colback and Diame - three big, strong guys in the centre of the park.

Not sure this is a game for Wes, Pritchard and a Murphy to start. Pretty sure Wildschut was rested on Saturday in order to play tomorrow, especially with Naismith still out.

I would be tempted to play both Tettey and Mulumbu in a 4-3-3 to try and give Norwich a little more control in the centre of the pitch. But fear it would probably be a game to much for Youssouf given his recent lack of game time.

Interesting to see how AN reads it, guessing we will have a better idea after the presser today.

Surprised at the number of people who feel Jerome will start ahead of Oliveira. Thought he had a very decent game against Forrest and would be more likely to cause Newcastle''s defense problems than a more direct approach.

Two up front I can''t see. Newcastle''s strength is the middle of the park so my bet is we''ll pack the middle.

It is odd how much criticism has been given to tinkering, yet no one seems to want to play the same XI as Saturday. IMO there''s not so much wrong with tinkering, all managers do it (PL as much as anyone) and it only gets noticed/criticised when we''re losing.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It is odd how much criticism has been given to tinkering, yet no one seems to want to play the same XI as Saturday. IMO there''s not so much wrong with tinkering, all managers do it (PL as much as anyone) and it only gets noticed/criticised when we''re losing.[/quote]Yup, made that exact point in another thread.But I think we need to deal with the physical power of Newcastles midfield, Shelvey in particular, he really makes them tick. Tomorrow will be a very, very different game to Saturday, hence changes required.

Certainly don''t doubt that - Wildschut was certainly rested on Saturday, having had a recent injury, maybe Jacob too. With Tettey also available you''d not be at all surprised to see 2-3 changes against what is likely to be a bigger threat.

The defence picks itself - what a change!

The striker - I think only one, either Jerome or Oliveira - difficult decision. I personally would give the latter another chance, as a more consistent striker.

Midfield- Pritchard, Wes, Howson - then either Murphy and finally either Mulumbu or Tettey.

I think that Josh will start, after his direct play on Saturday, but who knows how AN will see Tettey v. Mulumbu?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Certainly don''t doubt that - Wildschut was certainly rested on Saturday, having had a recent injury, maybe Jacob too. With Tettey also available you''d not be at all surprised to see 2-3 changes against what is likely to be a bigger threat.[/quote]Though thinking on it further, are Tettey and especially Mulumbu mobile enough to match the threat? I wish Dorrans was fit!I think Alex has got the balance better recently regarding his selections, earlier in the season we very much fell foul of a bit of arrogance, and playing our own game, without showing a bit of respect to what the other team want to do. That said, we are in form, and at home.Whatever happens, it''ll be interesting.Looking like Gayle could be available, after injury.

After the most convincing performance of the season I am amazed at the number of posters who want to tinker, simply because they base making changes in view of the opposition. Lets be positive and go out and play the same style and let the opponents worry about us. Seen Newcastle on TV recently and they really do not look that great. Defence seemed wobbly under pressure and without Gayle they do not carry the same threat in attack. Providing Pritchard receives some decent service, with passes to him on the ground, he is beginning to look impressive. It will be an appalling managerial decision if he is dropped tomorrow. We finished the game on Sat with bags of some overdue confidence, let the same boys at least have 60 mins and see how it goes.

Why can''t we start the game with the same line up?

If it doesn''t work out then change it. But lets not speculate about what Newcastle will do. We need to keep winning and get into the fifth/sixth spot.

Let Benitez do the worrying especially the luck they had Saturday and he will remember we were 3-1 up at St James.

Wes is dropped from the starting line up and we lose a number of games.

He is reinstated and we start winning. He is rested and we draw. Come on AN, be brave.

I don''t think anyone is advocating change just for the sake of it though. More recognising that Newcastle will bring a very, very different threat than Forest did, and also the fact we have played Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday.And for a bit of devil''s advocating, Pritchard, when faced with real physicality at Barnsley, didn''t do too well.Horses for courses, and all that.

To be fair Morty, Pritchard seemed to get right stuck in on Saturday so he''s learning.

I''m sure the Newcastle management and players will be absolutely delighted at 6:45pm on Tuesday when they see our team sheet that basically says ''we are second rate to you in our own back yard hence why we''re playing a more defensive compact line up to combat you''. What we should be saying is ''we''ve got a team that will strike fear going forward once you lose the ball''.

I respect Newcastle for sure, but let''s not do ourselves a disservice here. We''re not Wolverhampton Wanderers who had no problem with that team on Saturday night despite the 1 nil loss, had Lambert had our squad playing Saturday then we''d have dicked them at Molineux. And I would not swap our attacking players for Newcastle''s in a million years - and I certainly wouldn''t swap our back 5 including Ruddy either, especially with the arrival of Mitchell Dijks who has strengthened us no end.

One final thing re what Bethnal said - we played at our best against Newcastle at St James Park or whatever it''s called now when we attacked - when we gave them the respect and tried the defensive and sit back tactic then that was when we came seriously unstuck and they got back on top! I believe it went wrong when we swapped Murphy for Bennett.

We''re at home, and we''re starting to play in a manner that we would expect with such quality at our disposal. We will win if we go for the jugular, that I''m sure. It is going to be interesting to see how AN plays this, both tactics have their pros and cons I guess and we could argue it all day long! OTBC

I''ve changed my mind several times in the last couple of days. Really tough decision for Alex Neil tomorrow.

The question is are we good enough to let them worry about us or do we need to compensate for their quality. I think the answer is somewhere in between.

Win, lose or draw whatever AN choses i won''t be criticising after and i hope others don''t also. It''s almost dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn''t situation.

I think we''ll see 2 changes (fitness permitting) Naismith in for Pritchard and Tettey in for Mulumbu.

Oh indeed Alex, and it wasn''t meant to be a criticism of Pritchard, more an illustration of the point that sometimes you have to match up certain areas of the pitch.

Totally hear you re Pritchard mate, and know what you''re saying!. I think it''s one of those games where if we don''t go with the same team (where possible) as Saturday then you know that if we lose so many people will have the knives out unfortunately. I think it''s a hell of a dilemma for Alex Neil, but fortunately it is for Rafa Benitez as well! I can definitely see pros and cons for what everybody has been saying on this thread, and of course cons in my argument too, as so many make good respective points for the more compact approach - I just want to see us tear them a new one so badly because I know we''ve more than got what it takes!. A good win will also have an affect on those above us, make no mistake folks!

Spot on Chemical Bro 👍

If Mulumbu is fit then I''d definitely play him, to me he''s just been a real improvement on Tettey in so many ways of late, who I don''t think has been playing anywhere near his best this season. I''m not sure more game time will necessarily be a bad thing for Mulumbu either, he''s probably been suffering from a lack of it if anything!.

[quote user="Alex "]Spot on Chemical Bro 👍

If Mulumbu is fit then I''d definitely play him, to me he''s just been a real improvement on Tettey in so many ways of late, who I don''t think has been playing anywhere near his best this season. I''m not sure more game time will necessarily be a bad thing for Mulumbu either, he''s probably been suffering from a lack of it if anything!.[/quote]Glad to see this re Mulumbu. I have been praising him too, and people have been giving me funny looks!

Haha I find that bizarre M, Mulumbu has generally been very good when called upon this season, and I think not only does he link up far better with Jonny, but he offers more to our team than Tettey. On the former point, Howson also seems to have the confidence to attack more too from what I''ve seen. The Tettey of this season is far more prone to mistakes and attention from the referee in my opinion, which is too much of a gamble against Newcastle. If fit, Mulumbu is a definite starter tomorrow night!

100% on Mulumbu chaps. Just a few suggesting he won''t be able to play 2 in a few days. Let''s hope he''s fit n available.

Couldn''t agree more with you more about Tettey. His distribution is wretched. I appreciate that''s not his strengths however at this level where we''re expected to be on the ball (city) more often than not you need players who can pass to a yellow shirt and retain possession.

I''m adamant Tettey has his boots on the wrong feet most games!

Our biggest undoing at Newcastle (aside from the suicidal sub) was giving Shelvey the time to pick out any pass he wanted, over & over again.

I would play Pritchard, tell him to be creative when we have the ball but then when we havent stand on Shelveys toes. Maybe dump him on the ground a few times (he can be wound up) but make him play the passes early, dont give him that time to pick out a 50yard ball

Its a bit like the Superbowl last week - for 3/4 of the game Atlanta dumped Brady on the ground over & over & didn''t give him time to pick out the passes. He was awful. Then Atlanta stopped putting the pressure on & he was picking out every pass he tried & won the game. Its the same with Shelvey - dont give him that time...

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Our biggest undoing at Newcastle (aside from the suicidal sub) was giving Shelvey the time to pick out any pass he wanted, over & over again.

I would play Pritchard, tell him to be creative when we have the ball but then when we havent stand on Shelveys toes. Maybe dump him on the ground a few times (he can be wound up) but make him play the passes early, dont give him that time to pick out a 50yard ball

Its a bit like the Superbowl last week - for 3/4 of the game Atlanta dumped Brady on the ground over & over & didn''t give him time to pick out the passes. He was awful. Then Atlanta stopped putting the pressure on & he was picking out every pass he tried & won the game. Its the same with Shelvey - dont give him that time...[/quote]Completely agree on that.Naismith would be my choice for the job, not 100% sure Pritch would be though!