Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

Shelvey

Didn''t have a great view of the incident, from where I sit looked like he made contact with his arm off the ball, but not even a yellow as I recall. What actually happened!

If the ref didn''t see it, he can''t call it. He can''t guess, or worse, give a yellow when it should have been red

My guess is that is why he spent so long talking to Martin after - to explain that he hasn''t seen it so can''t give anything until after the game

Was the linesman looking the other way, it wasn''t far infront of him, but admittedly off the ball.

Agree the Martin lecture was to avoid having to make a decision. Shame both officials appear to have not seen what happened, a bit like me 😀

Was disappointing, we were on opposite side, so hard to see, but by the reaction of the players looked like there was something naughty, ref let quite a lot go i thought, maybe in this case retrospective action needed?

I was in the South stand near the away fans.

From what I saw, Hoolahan was marking Shelvey and there was a bit of a tussle. Shelvey then turned around and shoulder barged Hoolahan''s face, possibly due to the height difference.

I couldn''t tell if WH was making a meal of it, as he has had a habit of doing so in the past!

It would be nice for JS to get a ban though - he is a key player for them and really, really unlikable!

I don''t think there was much in it. He turned to receive the ball from the throw in and literally bumped into Wes, who went straight down holding his face. Once he got up, Wes was quite apologetic to the other Newcastle players. If it had been the other way round with, say, Klose and Mitrovic, we''d have been furious at the play acting.

Reminded me of our beloved Grant Holt, every club hated him but secretly you''d kill to have him.

Seemed to have all day on the ball, great range of passing, wind up merchant, puts his foot (shoulder) in, everything you''d want in CM.

Good footballer/bit of a knobhead

i didnt see the incident, but i would disagree with you saying he is overated, he was the calmest player on the pitch and controlled the game single handedly, one of the best players in this league by far. But his non footballing antics do let him down.

He is a very good player and one many on here were worried about before the game.

Shame about his unpleasant character though.

Sitting in block E about 7 rows back right in line with it Shelvey as you say turned to move to receive the ball however moved his arm/shoulder towards Hoolahan as if to barge him away and connected with his face. Did he intentionally mean to elbow him in the face, probably not due to the height difference. Did his shoulder connect with his face and had the ref have seen it should he have been sent off, yes.

I suppose it''d be better for us if he didn''t get a ban given that Newcastle have to play some of our rivals for the playoffs, no? Not his biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, and had done nothing to impress me in games against us previously but it sounds like he had a good game last night.

I think he''s a dirty ugly racist pr*ck who wouldn''t look out of place on an EDL march.

He also has a unique feature of being able to look in his mid 40s when in his mid 20s

[quote user="hogesar"]I think he''s a dirty ugly racist pr*ck who wouldn''t look out of place on an EDL march.

He also has a unique feature of being able to look in his mid 40s when in his mid 20s[/quote]^^^ Pretty much that.Yes, a good player in this division, but I don''t think I could get past how he is, and want him here.

Couldn''t agree more Morty. I remember when he came here as a 16 year old when we were in league one and he was playing for Charlton. He was a dirty little sod then and wound the Barclay up, I have hated him ever since. Every time he comes here he winds me up more and more

There game plan was knock it around the back, give it to Shelvey who would hit a (sometimes aimless) ball forward, hoping a forward would run on to it. How he picked out Gayle in that much space in the last minute I dont know, seemed to just hoof it forward

linco2188 wrote the following post at 15/02/2017 10:12 AM:

Couldn''t agree more Morty. I remember when he came here as a 16 year old when we were in league one and he was playing for Charlton. He was a dirty little sod then and wound the Barclay up, I have hated him ever since. Every time he comes here he winds me up more and more

He was bald as a coote even then, some sort of health issue I imagine.

[quote user="VanWink"]linco2188 wrote the following post at 15/02/2017 10:12 AM:

He was bald as a coote even then, some sort of health issue I imagine.[/quote]He has alopecia.

"its (alopecia) is something I was born with," Shelvey says. "I fell down the stairs when I was a baby and fractured my skull and I think that made it worse. I think I always stressed myself out as a kid, and alopecia can be caused by stress."

Might explain a lot.

He''s been doing that all season - sitting deep and spraying the passes around. The wingers hug the touchline to make the pitch as big as possible and, with Gayle running in behind and the full backs bombing on, gives him plenty of opportunities to pick a pass.

That''s exactly what happened when they beat us earlier in the season.

I had a great view of it and it looked like the right decision to me.

At the time I thought it was accidental but he did catch Wes solidly. I don''t think Wes play acted, it took him out. In the heat of the moment I wouldn''t be surprised if Wes thought it was intentional and decided that it everyone was going to know he''d been struck in the face. It looked like it would hurt him, and our Wes is not as soft as some make out.

It will interesting to check out the footage later.

You could be right RB - Just saying how I recall seeing it in live time.

My recollection is also that Wes was on the move and Shelvey was on the turn.