Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

Substitutions

The pattern of last night''s game was similar to several others under Neil.

I wasn''t there but the times of the goals and subs are a matter of fact.

I do try to give thought to my opinion, footballs important.

If my opinion differs from others, I don''t mind, they may catch up.

[quote user="Number 9"]The pattern of last night''s game was similar to several others under Neil.

I wasn''t there but the times of the goals and subs are a matter of fact.

I do try to give thought to my opinion, footballs important.

If my opinion differs from others, I don''t mind, they may catch up.[/quote]For at least 20 or 30 minutes in the second half a Newcastle goal was coming, as we dropped deeper and deeper, and they had more of the ball.I honestly don''t believe dropping further deeper, with defensive subs, would have changed anything.And the subs -Pritchard for Wildschutt on 58Lafferty for Jerome on 80Murphy for Hoolahan on 86Were very much about keeping the same general shape, and taking tired players off, with a view on the workload.

Lafferty was useless when he came on. Jerome would have done a better job. Before Lafferty came on I assumed it might be for Murphy, to give us more physicality in the wide positions.

The only sub I agreed with was Josh for Wes, but that was after the equaliser.

Newcastle were totally dominant in the 2nd half, I think the subs were made to bring on fresh legs, and not disrupt the team any more than necessary. It was only a matter of time until they scored, everyone could see that.

Yes we were poor at the back, but if AN thought those on the bench could have improved things surely he would have started with those players??

We dont know which (if any) of the subs are carrying slight knocks etc, so he wouldn''t want to risk those, with fitter players/ areas with more cover in the squad etc.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Lafferty was useless when he came on. Jerome would have done a better job. Before Lafferty came on I assumed it might be for Murphy, to give us more physicality in the wide positions.

The only sub I agreed with was Josh for Wes, but that was after the equaliser.[/quote]Jerome faded out of the game pretty quickly, it was obvious he was knackered! And I really don''t think the manager was going to see the game out with no striker on the pitch.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]He did see the game out with no striker. Lafferty came on.[/quote][Y]

The majority view surely would be that it was a very exciting game from which we got a point against the league leaders.

I''m happy to think outside the box and set the target higher.

😁

Got to get back to work now

[quote user="Number 9"]The majority view surely would be that it was a very exciting game from which we got a point against the league leaders.

I''m happy to think outside the box and set the target higher.

😁

Got to get back to work now[/quote]This thread has put in a good shift but needs to be replaced by a tactical change. I hope it''s not the wrong time and any dissenters will appreciate my effors to try something different.

What was he doing taking off Wildshut for Pritchard?

Was his plan to have the smallest two players in the league clipping at their ankles like Jack Russells? We looked well balanced with power and size prior... then it looked weak! They brought on Diame the powerhouse and we brought on a 10 year old boy

[quote user="king canary"]I guess the question is was Jerome so knackered that he couldn''t have offered anything for the last 10 minutes.[/quote]I thought he visibly faded.

He was stood there holding his sides before he came off, totally fooked and had to be subbed.

Thought Pritchard did well when he came on, not a fan of both Murphy''s on at the end of the game though.

And with Oliveira injured, can you imagine the stick AN would have got if he''d kept Jerome on and he''d got injured. Tired muscles = increased chance of injury.

I don''t think AN had too many options with Jerome.

But I thought we should have either left Wildschut on or replaced him with Godfrey.. Wildschut didn''t offer much but at least had the physique. We were not chasing the game and managed to defend our lead for most of the 2nd half, so Pritchard was an extremely bad call as Newcastle had their tails up.

I am not sure AN was bending to public opinion as many supporters / press wanted Pritchard in the team but it was suicidal given the precarious situation of the game.

With the injuries, he certainly had the starting lineup right. My replacement for Windschut from the bench - Pritchard - too small, Bennett - too useless, Godrey - too inexperienced ?? I would have put Godrey on - thought that at the time, and still do now !

[quote user="Six Pack"]I don''t think AN had too many options with Jerome.

But I thought we should have either left Wildschut on or replaced him with Godfrey.. Wildschut didn''t offer much but at least had the physique. We were not chasing the game and managed to defend our lead for most of the 2nd half, so Pritchard was an extremely bad call as Newcastle had their tails up.

I am not sure AN was bending to public opinion as many supporters / press wanted Pritchard in the team but it was suicidal given the precarious situation of the game.

With the injuries, he certainly had the starting lineup right. My replacement for Windschut from the bench - Pritchard - too small, Bennett - too useless, Godrey - too inexperienced ?? I would have put Godrey on - thought that at the time, and still do now ![/quote]That would have required a change of formation, as Godfrey is seen by the manager as a left sided centre back, or a DM.I should imagine he wanted to retain the shape as much as he could, by replacing like for like, or as close as possible.

I would put Godfrey into central midfield and move Howson out wide in place of Wildschut Morty .

Any way the formation became disjointed when Pritchard was brought on.

He would be damned if he went more defensive and damned in trying to stretch the game. Hey ho.