Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

Substitutions

I''m sorry to pee on the parade, but am I alone in thinking that when we are 2-1 up with half hour to go, a measure of control might be in order.

We had three defensive subs on the bench.

Wildschut was struggling by all accounts, Wes not defensively minded and Murphy not defensive.

Surely it should have been couple of those off to pack the midfield / defense and slow it down a bit, restricting nufc getting forward.

How many times have we seen leads thrown away in last 20-30 minutes because we haven''t got tactics right.

IF we get promoted we will be straight back down unless Neil and the players learn to protect a lead.

What do you do?

He went defensive at Newcastle & we crumbled under the weight of all the ball coming into the box. Last night it took a soft free kick which we had 3 chances to defend before the player scored.

Injuries really hurt us last night, we were crying out for Naismith & Oliviera

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]What do you do?

He went defensive at Newcastle & we crumbled under the weight of all the ball coming into the box. Last night it took a soft free kick which we had 3 chances to defend before the player scored.

Injuries really hurt us last night, we were crying out for Naismith & Oliviera[/quote]Agree with that.Sitting deeper and inviting them on would not have ended well.They were just discussing the game on Sky sports and they were very complimentary about us, agreeing it was an excellent point, that we were back to our best, and how not many teams will get much out of us at Carrow Rd.

Bullshit.

There was a time, long ago or not so long ago, when we could hold a lead until 90.

Nowadays anything happens. Don''t try to gloss over obvious weaknesses.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Bullshit.

There was a time, long ago or not so long ago, when we could hold a lead until 90.

Nowadays anything happens. Don''t try to gloss over obvious weaknesses.[/quote]At SJP we were leading until 90, they scored at 95 & 96 minutes.

I thought they were good, players to come in to try and get some foothold in the game as we dropped deap and were just getting wave after wave of pressure.

To be fair we were undone by a very good side who deserved their equaliser.

Can''t criticise AN for subs, he tried to change it to get a foot on the ball.

Just a shame we couldn''t hold on.

There were three players on the bench who were defensive, Bassong, Bennett and Godfrey.

For all that we might say about these players, surely it would have been more solid than the two Murphys, lafferty and Pritchard.

As already said when we''ve gone defensive we tend to lose!

I''m still behind his thinking, we should have controlled the ball better, unfortunately we kept lumping the ball back to Newcastle.

All about opinions but I''m sure had he bought on Bennett for Wes and they scored he would have got criticised, no win for AN.

Bottom line is 4 points from these two home games isn''t bad it''s down to our poor run that it''s not good enough for some.

Morty said -

Sitting deeper and inviting them on would not have ended well.

It didn''t end well though, we gave away another soft goal and snatched a draw from the jaws of victory.

Beefing up the midfield and defense to protect a lead doesn''t mean no attacking, Howson, Jerome and Dijks could easily have been in a counterattack, but making three attack minded subs didn''t win the game, didn''t win us a point in my opinion it cost us two points. Just about being professional, having control over the game rather than being too open when protecting a lead.

How many times this season and last have we not protected a lead? Tactics have been wrong, it''s a lesson which needs to be learnt if we are to make progress.

I can see an argument for bringing Godfrey on for one of the attacking midfield trio and pushing Howson further up but even that is a stretch.

[quote user="Number 9"]Morty said -

Sitting deeper and inviting them on would not have ended well.

It didn''t end well though, we gave away another soft goal and snatched a draw from the jaws of victory.

Beefing up the midfield and defense to protect a lead doesn''t mean no attacking, Howson, Jerome and Dijks could easily have been in a counterattack, but making three attack minded subs didn''t win the game, didn''t win us a point in my opinion it cost us two points. Just about being professional, having control over the game rather than being too open when protecting a lead.

How many times this season and last have we not protected a lead? Tactics have been wrong, it''s a lesson which needs to be learnt if we are to make progress.[/quote]I assume you are failing to recognise that they are a much, much better team than we are? And failing to recognise just how many players we had missing last night?Neutrals on Sky sports news are calling it an excellent point.It was obvious at 2-1 that we needed another goal to close the game out.

Several posters have said it wouldn''t have ended good if we used subs to make the team mire solid.

That is conjecture, the facts show that three attacking subs were put on and we went from leading to drawing the game almost immediately.

The attacking subs weren''t able to influence the game enough to score any more goals.

This is a pattern which has been repeated several times during Neil''s management, keep doing the same things and expect different results?

[quote user="Number 9"]Wildschut was struggling by all accounts[/quote]Strong views from someone who wasn''t even there......

[quote user="Number 9"]Several posters have said it wouldn''t have ended good if we used subs to make the team mire solid.

That is conjecture, the facts show that three attacking subs were put on and we went from leading to drawing the game almost immediately.

The attacking subs weren''t able to influence the game enough to score any more goals.

This is a pattern which has been repeated several times during Neil''s management, keep doing the same things and expect different results?[/quote]Which is exactly what you''re doing....

Morty -

assume you are failing to recognise that they are a much, much better team than we are? And failing to recognise just how many players we had missing last night?

Surely that logic makes the tactics even more important?

I was only looking at the subs on the bench, not in the docs room.

[quote user="Number 9"]Morty -

assume you are failing to recognise that they are a much, much better team than we are? And failing to recognise just how many players we had missing last night?

Surely that logic makes the tactics even more important?

I was only looking at the subs on the bench, not in the docs room.[/quote]Of course you''re entitled to your opinion, but mine is that the manager did the right thing, and it was a hard earned point. Everybody at the final whistle seemed pretty pleased with it too.

You should know Number9 that if you don''t go, you cannot post an opinion on here!

Shame on you.

Can''t you try harder?😋😋😋

I can see the argument for bringing Godfrey on instead of Pritchard to go 4-5-1 & push Howson up to pressure Shelvey

I think taking Wildschut off was what caused us problems - despite being poor, we had a much more solid shape. Alarm bells were ringing as soon as Hoolahan was brought out wide right

I saw on another post that Wildschut should not be in instead of Murphy - but we have seen playing both Murphys together doesn''t work & leaves us too open

To be fair, we were never going to withstand that much pressure and I''m sure than when they equalized people could only see one winner

It was a good result, but a bad point if that makes sense due to the teams in the playoffs all winning. As a player I would be devastated to see that much effort rewarded by falling further behind the playoffs

I listen when I can''t watch, and reading carefully reports via media, this forum and other forums gives me my fix when I can''t get there.

[quote user="Number 9"]I listen when I can''t watch, and reading carefully reports via media, this forum and other forums gives me my fix when I can''t get there.[/quote]Have you seen anything, in any independent reports, suggesting Alex Neil got his subs wrong?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Number 9"]I listen when I can''t watch, and reading carefully reports via media, this forum and other forums gives me my fix when I can''t get there.[/quote]Have you seen anything, in any independent reports, suggesting Alex Neil got his subs wrong?[/quote]

There''s thishttp://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/2/3493968/ShowPost.aspx#3493968

I haven''t, Morty, but I do try to think about it, formulate opinions of my own after researching thoroughly.

I don''t take at face value everything that passes before my eyes. And I do get to quite a few games, I just can''t make every game.

[quote user="Number 9"]I haven''t, Morty, but I do try to think about it, formulate opinions of my own after researching thoroughly.

I don''t take at face value everything that passes before my eyes. And I do get to quite a few games, I just can''t make every game.[/quote]But you weren''t at the game last night, right?And before you go off on one, thats not some kind of snidey point, but I haven''t seen anyone, who was at the game, come to the same conclusion.

AN has come in for a lot of well deserved stick in the last few months and I still don''t understand why he dropped players who scored in the previous game.

However, I commend him for the substitutions last night. I only listened to it on Canaryworld but it sounded exciting and entertaining. And any thought of trying to defend the lead would probably have ruined the game as a spectacle.

Hats off to him, the faithful have just been treated to 180+ minutes of just what it is all about no matter what division you are in.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I was at the game. I thought he got the subs wrong.[/quote]Did you say at the time, or is it only with hindsight?