Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Odds Stacked Against Us

I appreciate that Neil says it''s a rediculous stat but I''d be interested to see some evidence that backs up his statement that our odds of winning have reduced by a third simply due to us playing mid week and Burton not.

I would think there''s a number of far more important factors that come into play when determining the winner of a football match and to say this reduces our chances by as large a percentage as a third, just seems absurd.

Not only did we play midweek, several of those players were struggling with niggles and one or two unwell, injury crisis means they will have to go again so maybe the statement is a little extreme but certainly does not help

The way footballers are treated these days is so much like training a racehorse - finely tuned and prepared to the n''th degree. As a result, even though to most people it would seem that three or four days is ample time to recover, the relative fitness of teams on a given day is affected by what they have done during the week.   That is why so many managers use squad rotation as a matter of course to keep things fresh.  Burton have had a whole week to prepare and will be at us today like a red rag to a bull - they will be giving it everything like it''s a cup final.   We have to match that - and with our injuries and midweek match, that will be tough to do.  Should have enough quality, but it will be a battle and a half. I hope they''re up for it.

They are pros, train regularly, have all the support such as physios etc.

Thing is though, having known a few pros, what we forget is that by this stage in the season a lot of them will probably be playing with injuries of varying degrees.

There are obviously those that can''t play due to injury but many of those on the field will not be 100% and the extra game can make a big difference to players in that category.

Bryan Thurlow was never ever injured.

(and a superior player.)

Joe Mullet took knocks constantly but played on.

TWTD. (oops!)

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Wasn''t Brian Thurmond in the Tremoloes ?[/quote]

Or the little kid in Bad Santa