Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Striker dilemma

He was used primarily as a left winger at Burnley, Rangers and Palermo. Neil Adams bought him as, and played him as, a left winger. So while in his head his favoured position is striker, none of his managers have thought of playing him there. Go figure.

Someone asked me the other day, "Is he really that bad?" so I studied his career, who he has played for, his international career etc. And I can only come to the conclusion that whoever scouted him, three years ago, really dropped the ball.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]No I don''t think he works his socks off, but at the same time I think he hasn''t had a fair run in the team either in his favoured position. We can all debate why but the reason is only known to the manager.[/quote]
That''s kind of my point, AN isn''t picking him, why? because he doesn''t like what he sees, so tell me why he should get a fair run if he isn''t able to impress the manager in training?

Lafferty is technically poor.

Whoever was responsible for actually paying money for the league two goon and giving him a possible sizeable contract has burdened the Club and should be shot.

In previous games when Lafferty came on, he has tried, shown effort and even a few goals.

Fans will always respect effort.

Tues was different, he didn''t even try in the 14 minutes he was on, I think that''s why fans are knarked. We would all give anything to be able to put on a green and yellow shirt and turn out for our club.

I think some would have been more effective than he was Tuesday.

[quote user="Bulldog Rummin"]"t would also help in putting himself into the shop window for August."I thought his contract was up in JuneEither way we are not here to act as some kind of'' shop windowand Morty succinctly sums it up

[/quote]Why not, when we act as an experimental training ground for our young manager?[:^)]

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Morty, how can you vilify Lafferty so much yet when anybody else on this forum speaks out about a player or God forbid, the manager, you slate them as a bad supporter?[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Greavsy"]In previous games when Lafferty came on, he has tried, shown effort and even a few goals.

Fans will always respect effort.

Tues was different, he didn''t even try in the 14 minutes he was on, I think that''s why fans are knarked. We would all give anything to be able to put on a green and yellow shirt and turn out for our club.

I think some would have been more effective than he was Tuesday.[/quote]
Which previous games were those?! I saw him at Rotherham, Derby and Forest, he was a completely non entity, I only remember he came on at Derby because he got yellow carded.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Baldyboy"]The fact we are all debating about Lafferty surely underlines just how poor the clubs transfer policy is, in that we left ourselves with only 3 strikers for the rest of the season, and as we all know Lafferty is not liked by the manager! And before people say we have to get Lafferty out, surely the money spent on Wildschut would have been better used on a striker either permanently or on loan?[/quote]The clubs transfer policy of three years ago, you mean.Without the use of a time machine, we can''t do anything about it now.And we don''t have the money to be paying players contracts up.[/quote]

If that''s the case (whilst forgetting the fact that we could have bought a striker) and also bearing in mind how for such a long time it''s been evident how utterly gash Lafferty is supposed to be, why the heck did we sanction a loan move for Morris just last month?  No time machine needed there, was there? 

norfolkbroadslim wrote the following post at 17/02/2017 3:39 PM:

Baldyboy wrote:

Morty, how can you vilify Lafferty so much yet when anybody else on this forum speaks out about a player or God forbid, the manager, you slate them as a bad supporter?

Yes [Y]

Fair point well made.

Must admit I''ve had to look up the match he scored in, which was the 3 2 defeat to Leeds.

I''m no fan, but previously when he''s come on, he has had a bit more about him, certainly effort, that just wasn''t there Tuesday.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]If that''s the case (whilst forgetting the fact that we could have bought a striker) and also bearing in mind how for such a long time it''s been evident how utterly gash Lafferty is supposed to be, why the heck did we sanction a loan move for Morris just last month?  No time machine needed there, was there?  [/quote]
Exactly this the loaning of Morris and Toffolo baffles me, I would hope there was an emergency recall but from what I''ve heard we can''t recall them under any circumstance.

My guess is that Morris isn''t deemed good enough for Championship football yet.

Or is that too out of left field?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Even if Morris isn''t yet deemed good enough for the Championship, he surely couldn''t do no worse than Lafferty?[/quote]My mention of "He couldn''t do no worse" earlier in the thread was homage to people who ring up Canary call and say exactly that.Take that how you will.[:D]

Ginja wrote: That''s kind of my point, AN isn''t picking him, why? because he doesn''t like what he sees, so tell me why he should get a fair run if he isn''t able to impress the manager in training?

If that is the case, then why has AN selected him for the matchday squad 8 times out of the 14 league games since the beginning of December?

ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) wrote the following post at 17/02/2017 4:07 PM:

Ginja wrote: That''s kind of my point, AN isn''t picking him, why? because he doesn''t like what he sees, so tell me why he should get a fair run if he isn''t able to impress the manager in training?

If that is the case, then why has AN selected him for the matchday squad 8 times out of the 14 league games since the beginning of December?

Because there is no one else?

Who would you play there, who is available?

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]Ginja wrote: That''s kind of my point, AN isn''t picking him, why? because he doesn''t like what he sees, so tell me why he should get a fair run if he isn''t able to impress the manager in training?

If that is the case, then why has AN selected him for the matchday squad 8 times out of the 14 league games since the beginning of December?[/quote]To rotate the squad, and also depending on injuries?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Even if Morris isn''t yet deemed good enough for the Championship, he surely couldn''t do no worse than Lafferty?[/quote]My mention of "He couldn''t do no worse" earlier in the thread was homage to people who ring up Canary call and say exactly that.Take that how you will.[:D][/quote]You really didn''t need to explain your quote.If Lafferty is a disinterested, lazy, waster, who has put in little if any effort this season and is a completely gash footballer, then don''t you think Morris would be a better option than this?If the reason why Lafferty has had so little game time is based on what the manager and coaches see in training and if he is really as bad as some people think, then irrelevant of whether the management team think that Morris is ready for first team Championship football, it''s suicidal to say the least and very perplexing to leave us such a ''footballer'' as our only cover & send Morris out on loan.  At least Morris would put in the effort.Is Lafferty really that bad, then?If so, is Morris even worse than Lafferty?If Lafferty is that bad, then whoever sanctioned the Morris loan should be severely reprimanded!

Fair point Ginja.

Surely having Morris available is a better option for the manager than putting somebody on the bench that he has no belief in.

It''s madness!

[quote user="Greavsy"]If that is the case, then why has AN selected him for the matchday squad 8 times out of the 14 league games since the beginning of December?

Because there is no one else?

Who would you play there, who is available?[/quote]
Yes because there is noone else, the guy has an average of 9 mins per game appearance, being picked for the bench 11 out of 32 games and having only 108 minutes on the pitch is the sign of a man who is not wanted here.
Who would I play there? Anyone but Lafferty.

Just some interesting stats from 
"Kyle Lafferty has a Squawka rating of 1.5 stars out of 5 with a Performance Score of -15. His best game of the season was against Leeds United where he earned a Performance Score of 29. His worst game this term was against Derby County where he accrued a score of -30."

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Even if Morris isn''t yet deemed good enough for the Championship, he surely couldn''t do no worse than Lafferty?[/quote]My mention of "He couldn''t do no worse" earlier in the thread was homage to people who ring up Canary call and say exactly that.Take that how you will.[:D][/quote]You really didn''t need to explain your quote.If Lafferty is a disinterested, lazy, waster, who has put in little if any effort this season and is a completely gash footballer, then don''t you think Morris would be a better option than this?If the reason why Lafferty has had so little game time is based on what the manager and coaches see in training and if he is really as bad as some people think, then irrelevant of whether the management team think that Morris is ready for first team Championship football, it''s suicidal to say the least and very perplexing to leave us such a ''footballer'' as our only cover & send Morris out on loan.  At least Morris would put in the effort.Is Lafferty really that bad, then?If so, is Morris even worse than Lafferty?If Lafferty is that bad, then whoever sanctioned the Morris loan should be severely reprimanded![/quote]Lafferty is a barely adequate third choice striker. Morris is clearly not judged to be up to Championship standard.So Morriss''s career structure should be put in jeopardy?The fact is that we play with one striker, so having three in total is about right, and we have gambled on the fact that at least two of them don''t get injured. Which hasn''t actually happened yet. So nobody needs reprimanding.

Ginja wrote about some interesting stats from Squawka....

Ignoring the mantra of "lies, damn lies and statistics", if we relied upon stats alone, then football matches would be predetermined based on the statistical analysis. They are useful guidelines, but cannot be used as the sole measurement of a player''s or team''s performances.

I suppose its much like polling data - if you get it wrong, you get Trumped! (sorry, couldn''t resist that one)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Even if Morris isn''t yet deemed good enough for the Championship, he surely couldn''t do no worse than Lafferty?[/quote]My mention of "He couldn''t do no worse" earlier in the thread was homage to people who ring up Canary call and say exactly that.Take that how you will.[:D][/quote]You really didn''t need to explain your quote.If Lafferty is a disinterested, lazy, waster, who has put in little if any effort this season and is a completely gash footballer, then don''t you think Morris would be a better option than this?If the reason why Lafferty has had so little game time is based on what the manager and coaches see in training and if he is really as bad as some people think, then irrelevant of whether the management team think that Morris is ready for first team Championship football, it''s suicidal to say the least and very perplexing to leave us such a ''footballer'' as our only cover & send Morris out on loan.  At least Morris would put in the effort.Is Lafferty really that bad, then?If so, is Morris even worse than Lafferty?If Lafferty is that bad, then whoever sanctioned the Morris loan should be severely reprimanded![/quote]Lafferty is a barely adequate third choice striker. Morris is clearly not judged to be up to Championship standard.So Morriss''s career structure should be put in jeopardy?The fact is that we play with one striker, so having three in total is about right, and we have gambled on the fact that at least two of them don''t get injured. Which hasn''t actually happened yet. So nobody needs reprimanding.[/quote]

You can''t have it all ways though Morty!

So, at this stage in Morris'' career do you think he isn''t as good Lafferty?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Even if Morris isn''t yet deemed good enough for the Championship, he surely couldn''t do no worse than Lafferty?[/quote]My mention of "He couldn''t do no worse" earlier in the thread was homage to people who ring up Canary call and say exactly that.Take that how you will.[:D][/quote]You really didn''t need to explain your quote.If Lafferty is a disinterested, lazy, waster, who has put in little if any effort this season and is a completely gash footballer, then don''t you think Morris would be a better option than this?If the reason why Lafferty has had so little game time is based on what the manager and coaches see in training and if he is really as bad as some people think, then irrelevant of whether the management team think that Morris is ready for first team Championship football, it''s suicidal to say the least and very perplexing to leave us such a ''footballer'' as our only cover & send Morris out on loan.  At least Morris would put in the effort.Is Lafferty really that bad, then?If so, is Morris even worse than Lafferty?If Lafferty is that bad, then whoever sanctioned the Morris loan should be severely reprimanded![/quote]Lafferty is a barely adequate third choice striker. Morris is clearly not judged to be up to Championship standard.So Morriss''s career structure should be put in jeopardy?The fact is that we play with one striker, so having three in total is about right, and we have gambled on the fact that at least two of them don''t get injured. Which hasn''t actually happened yet. So nobody needs reprimanding.[/quote]

You can''t have it all ways though Morty!

So, at this stage in Morris'' career do you think he isn''t as good Lafferty?[/quote]What are you on about, can''t have it all ways?I have watched Carlton play a few times and have thought he looks decent, but its not my opinion that counts, is it?The decision to send him on loan seems to me to be the right one, he''ll never progress just playing under 23 games, and taking Lafferty out of the equation, sitting on a bench (maybe) hoping that both Jerome and Oliviera get injured.

If we have such bad luck as to lose Jerome to an injury, then instead of using Lafferty, Wildshut could be used as a lone striker and has been used before at Wigan.

Believe he is not truly fit and firing on all cylinders yet,after an injury before he joined, but will get sharper the more game time he gets.

Fingers crossed Jerome can stay fit and keep his superb workrate he always shows