Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Striker dilemma

My tuppence worth on this, is that Saturday would be an ideal opportunity to start Kyle Lafferty at Burton. Not wishing to disrespect the opponents, but they are not flying high at the moment.

If he performs well, not only would it help our cause, it would also help in putting himself into the shop window for August. If it doesn''t work out, then we have sufficient options to bring in later on in the game. But to be fair to the lad, judging him against a 10 minute display here and there is hardly giving him the opportunity to perform - the chance to start the match and prove himself could well be the motivator that he needs (being on the bench or not in the squad, week after week, is enough to start sapping anyone''s enthusiasm).

I can''t see any reasons against trying this - but then, as I''ve said before, I''m not a qualified football manager.

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]My tuppence worth on this, is that Saturday would be an ideal opportunity to start Kyle Lafferty at Burton. Not wishing to disrespect the opponents, but they are not flying high at the moment.

If he performs well, not only would it help our cause, it would also help in putting himself into the shop window for August. If it doesn''t work out, then we have sufficient options to bring in later on in the game. But to be fair to the lad, judging him against a 10 minute display here and there is hardly giving him the opportunity to perform - the chance to start the match and prove himself could well be the motivator that he needs (being on the bench or not in the squad, week after week, is enough to start sapping anyone''s enthusiasm).

I can''t see any reasons against trying this
- but then, as I''ve said before, I''m not a qualified football manager.[/quote]1. He is awful.2. He is clearly not match fit.3. He blatantly can''t be bothered.

"t would also help in putting himself into the shop window for August."I thought his contract was up in JuneEither way we are not here to act as some kind of'' shop windowand Morty succinctly sums it up

That said, I can see where ABC is coming from, but for different reasons.Lets face it, if Oliviera is out for a month and a half then I doubt we''ll see him hit his best again this season.Like it or not, we may actually need Lafferty.What a depressing thought.

[quote user="ABC"]My tuppence worth on this, is that Saturday would be an ideal opportunity to start Kyle Lafferty at Burton.[/quote]
No.
I rather we played 4-6-0 before letting Lafferty near the starting lineup.

Totally with Morty on this one.

This is a huge game for us, Burton or not. We disrespect them by playing a weakened team at our peril. We simply have to win this game if we are going to have any chance of catching the top six, particularly as they have some tough fixtures this week.

To risk this chance by playing Lafferty who is nowhere near Jerome''s standard would be madness.

Our away form has been so poor this season, we certainly do not have the luxury of resting our best players and disrespecting the opposition. Given that we''re playing catch up on the play off places I have no idea why anyone would suggest playing anything other than our strongest available lineup.

Also, Lafferty has been absolutely atrocious every time he''s been introduced for cameo roles this season - and Jerome was largely responsible for both our goals against a team who concede very few.

According to Morty - and to which many others agree:

1. He is awful.

2. He is clearly not match fit.

3. He blatantly can''t be bothered.

How have these statements been derived?

Since the beginning of December, he has played a total of 32 mins over 6 matches:

Barnsley 5 mins

Villa 2 mins

Rotherham 10 mins

Wolves 3 mins

Birmingham 2 mins

Newcastle 10 mins

From this contribution over a period of 2.5 months, when he hasn''t been given a decent run out, he doesn''t really have the chance to show whether he is awful or not. As for not being match fit - evidenced where? Can''t be bothered - again, evidenced where?

I think this is an unfair vilification of the guy who for some reason has fallen out of favour. I''m not saying he is the best thing since sliced bread or that he is the answer to our problems, but in all fairness, one needs to look at this a bit objectively

Rangers

Sion

Palermo

Norwich City

Rizespor (poor loan spell)

Birmingham (poor loan spell)

Do you think there''s a reason he''s fallen out of favour at most clubs and moved on?

Morty, how can you vilify Lafferty so much yet when anybody else on this forum speaks out about a player or God forbid, the manager, you slate them as a bad supporter?

I could care less who the opposition are from here on in.

We play our best team available every game.

We''re not good enough to do anything except that in my opinion.

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]According to Morty - and to which many others agree:

1. He is awful.

Since the beginning of December, he has played a total of 32 mins over 6 matches:

Barnsley 5 mins

Villa 2 mins

Rotherham 10 mins

Wolves 3 mins

Birmingham 2 mins

Newcastle 10 mins

From this contribution over a period of 2.5 months, when he hasn''t been given a decent run out, he doesn''t really have the chance to show whether he is awful or not. As for not being match fit - evidenced where? Can''t be bothered - again, evidenced where?

I think this is an unfair vilification of the guy who for some reason has fallen out of favour. I''m not saying he is the best thing since sliced bread or that he is the answer to our problems, but in all fairness, one needs to look at this a bit objectively[/quote]Firstly the evidence that he can''t be bothered is my own eyes, watching him play.He didn''t look anywhere near match fit, and by your own evidence, given how much he has played, isn''t likely to be.He is simply the last choice striker for a reason, and only here, making up the numbers, because we can''t offload him.

[quote user="ABC"]According to Morty - and to which many others agree:

1. He is awful.

Since the beginning of December, he has played a total of 32 mins over 6 matches.
[/quote]
You answered your own question right there, if he wasn''t those things he would have more than 32 mins over 6 matches.
If he''s in the starting line up tomorrow (and I really hope he isn''t) then so be it and I will cheer the guy on, I hope he scores a hat trick and people bump this thread and point out what an idiot I was.
However the likeliness of such is almost as high as LDCs prediction of an auto spot.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Morty, how can you vilify Lafferty so much yet when anybody else on this forum speaks out about a player or God forbid, the manager, you slate them as a bad supporter?[/quote]Or how about you post your opinion, like I have?

The fact we are all debating about Lafferty surely underlines just how poor the clubs transfer policy is, in that we left ourselves with only 3 strikers for the rest of the season, and as we all know Lafferty is not liked by the manager! And before people say we have to get Lafferty out, surely the money spent on Wildschut would have been better used on a striker either permanently or on loan?

We do have a striker dilemma and also a left back dilemma if dijcks gets injured. Didn''t do as much as we probably should''ve in the transfer window. We really need a bit of luck on the injury front if we are going to salvage anything from this season.

Can see your point about Lafferty but on balance I agree with what Ian said above.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]The fact we are all debating about Lafferty surely underlines just how poor the clubs transfer policy is, in that we left ourselves with only 3 strikers for the rest of the season, and as we all know Lafferty is not liked by the manager! And before people say we have to get Lafferty out, surely the money spent on Wildschut would have been better used on a striker either permanently or on loan?[/quote]The clubs transfer policy of three years ago, you mean.Without the use of a time machine, we can''t do anything about it now.And we don''t have the money to be paying players contracts up.

My opinion is that Lafferty has never had a run in the team in the striker slot so a lot of the stick he gets is unjustifiable in my opinion. He scores for NI so why not throw him in tomorrow? After all, Burton are small fish in this league just like Faroe Islands, Malta etc for NI. There that''s my opinion Morty, now how about you answer my original question and tell us why anyone else who slates a player or manager is not a true supporter of the club but you can slate Lafferty like you do and you are still great?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]My opinion is that Lafferty has never had a run in the team in the striker slot so a lot of the stick he gets is unjustifiable in my opinion. He scores for NI so why not throw him in tomorrow? After all, Burton are small fish in this league just like Faroe Islands, Malta etc for NI. There that''s my opinion Morty, now how about you answer my original question and tell us why anyone else who slates a player or manager is not a true supporter of the club but you can slate Lafferty like you do and you are still great?[/quote]I''m debating football points baldy, if you want to talk about me, I suggest you pm me.

Can you show me where I mentioned paying up his contract? No, thought not! Same old Morty, still acting as the Forum God!

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Can you show me where I mentioned paying up his contract? No, thought not! Same old Morty, still acting as the Forum God![/quote]Jesus, you''re another one of those, are you?We either sell him, or we pay up his contract.No one wants to buy him.What other suggestion do you have?

Isn''t an opinion on Lafferty a football point then? I asked a fair question but just like a politician you skirt the issue. Why is it acceptable for you to slate people who moan about players yet here you are doing the same to Lafferty who correct me if I''m wrong is still a Norwich player?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Isn''t an opinion on Lafferty a football point then? I asked a fair question but just like a politician you skirt the issue. Why is it acceptable for you to slate people who moan about players yet here you are doing the same to Lafferty who correct me if I''m wrong is still a Norwich player?[/quote]I''m not even sure what your point is?I have told you, if you want to discuss me, pm me.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Play him when needed is what I suggest, now are YOU going to answer the question I asked you?[/quote]No, I am going to stay on topic, and talk about Lafferty.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]My opinion is that Lafferty has never had a run in the team in the striker slot so a lot of the stick he gets is unjustifiable in my opinion. He scores for NI so why not throw him in tomorrow? After all, Burton are small fish in this league just like Faroe Islands, Malta etc for NI. There that''s my opinion Morty, now how about you answer my original question and tell us why anyone else who slates a player or manager is not a true supporter of the club but you can slate Lafferty like you do and you are still great?[/quote]
So answer why has he never had a run in the team? Do you really think he''s working his socks off in training and AN is just too spiteful to play him?

No I don''t think he works his socks off, but at the same time I think he hasn''t had a fair run in the team either in his favoured position. We can all debate why but the reason is only known to the manager.