Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Great piece on Morison/Lambert

Most of your colleagues wear them do they? Now that does figure, what with the flouncing and all that.😉

Good bloke who did well for us despite the ludicrous allegations of not putting the effort in or not getting on with holt.

Much maligned for not chasing down every lost ball.

Even when he was scoring regularly in the Prem there were moaners 😀

Thanks so much for sharing this as wouldn''t read Mail normally. It illuminates quite interestingly just how different the Lambert and Hughton years were and their different approaches. Lambert comes across here almost like he has an intuition about things and sets out a culture. It then works or it doesn''t. At some stage soon it might again. It''s like Clough for me.

Then his comments on Hughton indicate he had a fixed recipe. Morison was never the same once Lambo left for me. And now I understand. more that Hughtons management style was so different.

But I still take an interest in Morrrison ( like many others) both at Leeds and Milwalll again. He is an interesting bloke and pleased there is still a kind of Norfolk connection.

It''s a really good piece.  If Morison had shown a bit more of the personality he obviously has when he was at Norwich, he might have had an easier time. The Hughton quips were interesting too.  Just shows what a difficult transition it must have been for the players to go from someone like Lambert to someone with a totally different ideology about how the game should be played. 

I was never a huge Morison fan, because y''know, Grant Holt, but upon reflection he was a brilliant player for us that season. His contribution and goals (8 or 9?) is better than anything Hooper, RvW and even Jerome have ever produced in the Premier League.

Apparently he''s a reserved, quiet and a bit eccentric. When at Norwich he lived on a little Norfolk farm and had loads of dogs.

An old but nice article.

I genuinely felt sorry for him during his time here. Rumours flying around of his personality and infidelities and many supporters seemed to have a down on him.

He did appear lazy and certainly had very little pace but to score 9 goals as the secondary striker in the Premier League was totally undervalued.

He probably would still be warming the bench at many clubs but is still scoring regularly for Millwall.

Well , I would''ve loved the Messiah to have stayed...but he chose the money and the "bigger club"...

He really built a TEAM out of a group of "average " players

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I was never a huge Morison fan, because y''know, Grant Holt, but upon reflection he was a brilliant player for us that season. His contribution and goals (8 or 9?) is better than anything Hooper, RvW and even Jerome have ever produced in the Premier League.

Apparently he''s a reserved, quiet and a bit eccentric. When at Norwich he lived on a little Norfolk farm and had loads of dogs.[/quote]

HHS,

It was a barn conversion and he and his family had 3 dogs and kept a few chickens and more pleasant and family oriented guy you couldn''t wish to meet.

Thanks for posting the link to the article

There’s a whole chapter about Steve Morison in a book I’ve read called Family, Life Death and Football by Michael Calvin’s on Millwall’s 09/10 season. They won the play-off in the year City were promoted from League 1. It’s one of the best non-NCFC books I’ve read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Death-Football-Frontline-Proper/dp/1906850267

(apols if link is not clickable)

The chapter is called Scapegoat to Saviour was about November in 09/10 season

Below are quotes some paraphrased on Morison:

1 From the author: “Morison his pet project needed a reality check, was losing respect within the dressing room”

2 Kenny Jackett “He’s built like a brick shithouse, quick, strong fit but in too many games he doesn’t play his weight. He needs to use his physical attributes”

3 Kenny Jackett comparing him to Neil Harris, “It was an attitude of mind. If he throws his weight around fans will give him more of a chance”

4 Morison, “Even though I’m big, I don’t feel big but I’m starting to feel I’m a presence. On the pitch you have to be someone you’re not”

5 From the author: “He was growing into himself and was beginning to make those to judged him early change their minds”

My impression of Morison from the chapter; he was a quieter character maybe slow to adjust to higher club, probably had the same sort of issues at City about moving on up in standard. I thought we saw all of 2-5 at Norwich in the time he was here. (No idea about 1, obvs)

Morison, “Even though I’m big, I don’t feel big but I’m starting to feel

I’m a presence. On the pitch you have to be someone you’re not”

The fact he didn''t make it earlier in his career and dropping out of professional football for a while was probably because of his personality not being ideally suited to being a top pro. The pro''s that really make the top have to be pretty thick skinned to get the best out of themselves and maybe he just isn''t thick skinned enough.  Had all the physical attributes and of course he did well at times, but not enough overall to be a regular top player.  Maybe too nice?

Which backs up what he says about Lambert making players feel invincible.

You have to say Lambert was a special manager for us but he''s not managed to get the higher quality or better paid players into the same mindset at another club. Blackburn would have been a good opportunity to do so but he quit.

Just look at Steve''s smile on the BBC website!

Bl00dy good luck to the guy.

I thought Morison was great. He polarised fans. Me and Mrs Beard stood behind the goal when his goal went in at the Emirates.

All the Tierney stuff was cobblers.

SM was a decent player , a classic example of Lamberts man management skills (compare him to todays efforts with Lafferty) - a slightly wayward player , with ability , who needs an arm around their shoulder.

Oddly enough , having had a chat with Cam , their philosophy on life isn''t that different, but SM fell by the way side , and Cam keeps (rightly so) the right side of the manager.

Here''s a night out for you. Lambert, McNally, Morison and me. You might find out more than you expected. Not from me (i''m a nobody and will just buy the dinner) , and you wont get DM and PL in the same room . But we can dream.  

Irrespective of anything else, any other pros or cons, it''s clear AN doesn''t have the motivation factor of Lambert.

I don''t think any single player has over performed beyond their perceived ability under AN.