Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

Top Six still on?

If we can''t beat Rotherham or Burton Albion away from home, we need to question whether the playoffs are a **realistic** target given our remaining away fixtures.

I wouldn''t be surprised to see us finish 8th. Our mental weakness and defensive frailty has not been resolved and this will be our, and Alex Neil''s, downfall.

I think we should finish around 10th. Depends on Derby, Preston, Barnsley and Fulham. It could be 11th but not lower.

Of course it is possible.

But I cannot see it happening without what I believe to be the real way we might do it, and that is a change of attitude from the manager about how we achieve that,

No.

We had chances to close the gap, but we have taken 1 point from games against the bottom 3 teams and fell further behind the playoffs, despite having the easiest away games possible on paper

I was at Rotherham and at Wigan recently and saw little that could give me confidence that we were a top six side. Cannot believe Neil thinks we are either.....i guess he has to.say we are but it would be good to hear some honesty from him. Surely he can see what fans can. Walker and Brown more honest from what I remenber

No.

A club that doesn''t want promotion with a manager that shouldn''t be here. The rest of the season is just going through the motions.

Unlikely as:

1) the current top 6 deserve to be above us and continue to win.

2) we look tired too early in matches.

3) we have conceded more goals than all but a handful of other sides.

4) we melt when confronted with physicality.

Unfortunately, I think the last few weeks of this season will be the first time in quite a number of years where our run-in will not have much at all riding on it. Previously we''ve been in the hunt for promotion/play-off''s, trying to avoid the drop or trying to jump some Premier League spots to gain the big cash on offer per position. I just think we''re letting that gap to the top six get too big now, and it would take a miraculous turnaround in away form to close it up, especially considering some of the places we still need to go and get results (Huddersfield, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Villa).A morale-boosting win next week in the derby may kickstart a run, but we''ve made it so hard for ourselves. One point in total away to Rotherham, Wigan and Burton in recent weeks is just pathetic really when you consider what the club should be aiming to do in this league.

Have to agree with Keith on this..."still on"?..it has not been all season. Just to many on these forums still  thinking the old guard can do it for us again, when it was obvious  from the past 2 or 3 seasons they are past their sell by date. In fact some have a touch of Ipswich about them these days, relying on past glorys  to convince themselves City are still good enough to head to the Prem, when its clear they are not a top 6 champs side, and not playing like one.The recent thread from Lakey was absurd in its optimism, it was and has never been on for us to catch, challenge, chase the top 2, maybe now others will start to admit top 6 is not on either.Im never far out in my predictions, last season said 33 points and relegation. This season at the start i said 8th to 12th, with around 65..maybe at a push 70 points. Thats where City are headed, as ive alluded many times, its this coming close season, with the ins and outs of players, that is the importance of the future, not the remaining fixtures this season. Of course as manager, Alex will keep battling away, thats his job, he has a pivotal few months when this season ends. A time for a charge next season, only with a telling amount of old faces gone and new faces in. Otherwise we for sure are headed for solid stability for some seasons in the same division....playing our neighbours regularly.

No chance as some other teams have game in hands like Fulham not had a decent striker last season or this and defence is a joke klose is so disappointing this season ,expected more. don''t help keep dropping players like after the Nottingham forest game .

As frustrating as today is, it changes very little.....we still need to win at places like Sheffield Wed, Huddersfield, Leeds and at home to Reading and Brighton. However unlikely these results might be why chuck the towel in? Do people really have so little intestinal fortitude? Have the inquests and spread the misery when the season really is over and not while there are still 39 points to win.

I don''t think anyone is chucking the towel in, but when you taken 1 point in total from away games at Rotherham, Burton and Wigan, and when you have won 1 away game in 11, you would have to be a supreme optimist to think our away form will suddenly improve.

Winning all our home games will not be enough.

Lots of games left and there will be days when it will look possible but in all sincerity I think there is very little chance of it happening. We don''t have the right personnel in defence and that will prove to be our Achilles heel.

Huddersfield , Sheff Wed and Leeds will rip this lot to shreds , we need new owners  , new manager and a whole lot of new players .Russell Martin was finished 2 seasons ago and still he turns out week after week . Pathetic but probably what Smith and her other half fully deserve .

No chance. We could win away at both Sheff Wed and Huddersfield and still be 7th. I''ve a horrible feeling Ipswich will end any lingering hopes of reaching the play-offs.

Only just still on.

Sounds harsh but in reality it''s not. Our terrible run meant we can afford basically no slip ups. Drawing to Wigan and losing to Burton ain''t how you get in the playoffs.

But Klose made the mistake today not Martin? In fact Martin has probably been the more solid of the two so why are you bringing him up?

That''s a fair point Hogesar, Klose believes he is better than he is. Doesn''t matter what level of defender you are if you get caught out not doing the basics

Our away form tells you that we will not make the playoffs. Alex Neil is going nowhere this season or probably next tbh. Owners have bought into him and will continue to do so and they also aren''t going anywhere either

It remains a possibility rather than probable. Our dire away form heaps too much pressure on our home games. The squad had been underperforming all season. We probably need to win the majority of the 6 pointers in particular v Leeds owls and Huddersfield which are away. Possible but just as likely a few good hidings