Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

FA Cup shocks

So, according to a BBC poll our defeat to Luton did not make the top 5 shocks of all time. Says it all really, almost as thought it was no great surprise.What I''d like to know is though, when they do these polls how come our victories in 1959 never get included and our epic run, when every team took the competition seriously, never gets a mention.Given our pathetic attempts over the last 10 years the attitude to the Cup by our club has been a disgrace.I mean it''s not like giving a bye to our opponents in the cup has ever saved us from relegation or got us promotion and nor will it this year. ByOh for a manager who takes the cup seriously.I miss those days.

Show me any club in the top two divisions which puts out a full strength side in the first few rounds of the FA Cup. It''s not a Norwich thing, it is a general reaction to the relative value of the Premiership being by far the biggest prize.

The attitude towards the fa cup by the majority of clubs is a disgrace. Most clubs will NEVER challenge in Europe or for a league title. The cups should therefore be a priority for those clubs with little or nothing to realistically play for. Yet so many play ''squad players'' who inevitably put in a dire effort and the club lose in a ''shock exit''. It really is quite pathetic.

As much as Lincoln and Sutton should be applauded this year really neither had any business lasting this long in the cup. In 1989 Norwich demolished Sutton Utd 8-0. I expect arsenal to do the same tomorrow unless they are gutless wasters.

Our attitude to the competition has been pathetic for years and years now. It has to change.

As with almost any issue in football there is one simple answer- money.

Clubs are now ''businesses'' more interested in money than real sporting competition. So for teams like us, Premier League promotion is worth far more money than a glorious cup victory, while for teams like Burnley or Swansea, survival is much more important.

[quote user="Making Plans"]So, according to a BBC poll our defeat to Luton did not make the top 5 shocks of all time. Says it all really, almost as thought it was no great surprise.What I''d like to know is though, when they do these polls how come our victories in 1959 never get included and our epic run, when every team took the competition seriously, never gets a mention.Given our pathetic attempts over the last 10 years the attitude to the Cup by our club has been a disgrace.I mean it''s not like giving a bye to our opponents in the cup has ever saved us from relegation or got us promotion and nor will it this year. ByOh for a manager who takes the cup seriously.I miss those days.[/quote]

Trouble is with polls, 12 year olds with tablets and an Xbox are making them meaningless.