Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

Music top ten

[quote user="Johnny Stump"]Same with Carter. Only saw them once at the UEA, it was mental.

I see Jim Bob and the Wedding Present are doing and Indie all dryer at the Waterfront along with some other artists of that era.

Could be good for a laugh.[/quote]Aye they had one last year, but I was away for it, annoyingly I think the Wonder Stuff were there, a band I haven''t seen, but have always wanted to!Hopefully be home for this years, would love to see the Wedding Present.

Going back to the age thing, good music is timeless and will be loved by all generations. Some of my favourite bands were at their peak 20 or so years before I was born, and in the case of The Smiths etc I was only alive during the latter part of the band. There''s some really great new music around at the moment too, if you look hard enough, but the lack of decent rock/alternative bands in the charts these days is depressing. A Britpop like revolution is needed, but I can''t see it somehow.

Miles Hunt and Erica do an excellent acoustic gig playing a mixture of Wonderstuff and Miles own material. I haven''t seen the Stuffies live either, they''re on my list to hopefully see them this year.

Otis Redding

Clash

Stranglers

Orange Juice

Aztec Camera

Bananarama

Smiths

Redskins

WonderStuff

Shed Seven

I''ve put them chronologically, I''ve seen them all at least once apart from Otis Redding, I''ve seen The WonderStuff and Shed Seven multiple times.

Deep, deep respect Keelansgrandad....would never have guessed that anyone on this forum would choose Rundgren! It is obviously a wider ''gene pool'' than I had imagined.

Rundgren would have to be top of my list (yet to think more on this) and he is probably responsible for many soundtracks of my life.

It''s Immaterial, House of Love, Fischer Z, Spirit, The Pearlfishers, Steven Wilson, Psychedelic Furs, Calogero, Prefab Sprout would be others.

The Jam

Cocteau twins

The Smiths

The Sundays

Alanis Morissette

Ultravox

The Chords

O.M.D

Ye it is Mr Angry. Great drummer in Porcupine Tree as well ( and guitarist). Respect!

[quote user="sonyc"]Deep, deep respect Keelansgrandad....would never have guessed that anyone on this forum would choose Rundgren! It is obviously a wider ''gene pool'' than I had imagined.

Rundgren would have to be top of my list (yet to think more on this) and he is probably responsible for many soundtracks of my life.

It''s Immaterial, House of Love, Fischer Z, Spirit, The Pearlfishers, Steven Wilson, Psychedelic Furs, Calogero, Prefab Sprout would be others.[/quote]

Never mind Clapton-Todd is God!

He must be the greatest songwriter/performer of them all, and of course one of the great record producers and viruoso guitarists and I still listen to at least one or two of his tracks everyday.

My Grandson is a good guitarist and we do Tiny Demons together but my all time favourite track is Healing, Parts 1,2 and 3.

The wedding present did Lowestoft on the ''going going...'' Tour and are a fantastic live band. Gedge always comes over to the merch stand after and is a nice guy to have a chat with.

They''re playing ''George Best'' at the waterfront as its the 30th! Anniversary.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]The wedding present did Lowestoft on the ''going going...'' Tour and are a fantastic live band. Gedge always comes over to the merch stand after and is a nice guy to have a chat with.

They''re playing ''George Best'' at the waterfront as its the 30th! Anniversary.[/quote]30 years, blimey.

Great stuff Keelansgrandad. Agree about the breadth and quality of his whole output plus his values .... Saw him in late 70s in London at the Venue. I am actually thinking of seeing him in the US ....he is so often touring ..... still at his age. No doubt you''ll have seen the Darryls House YouTube videos.

As for favourites....so difficult. But I still love those first 4 albums. Tiny Demons great too and nice to play on guitar.

[quote user="sonyc"]Great stuff Keelansgrandad. Agree about the breadth and quality of his whole output plus his values .... Saw him in late 70s in London at the Venue. I am actually thinking of seeing him in the US ....he is so often touring ..... still at his age. No doubt you''ll have seen the Darryls House YouTube videos.

As for favourites....so difficult. But I still love those first 4 albums. Tiny Demons great too and nice to play on guitar.[/quote]

Tried to see him in New York but the tickets had sold out and to be honest were typical NY prices.

Yes the Daryls House videos are something special and the respect between the two guys is enormous.

My early favourite was Initiation but have to admit that Hermit of Mink Hollow, although very commercial, was special because it was the first album he totally wrote, played each instrument, produced and engineered.

One of my favourite other bands is the Tubes and a few of them, particularly Prairie Prince and the late Vince Welnick are associated with Todd.

Yes the Hermit album is very good. Was listening to the Tubes last week too ( produced by Todd)! Initiation was more his prog rock period (with Another Live).

My son is also a fan.

I guess one day he might be revered for the musical icon he is (sorry for the Initiation pun... Should have said ''Ikon'') and there might be one of those bbc2 documentaries?

[quote user="sonyc"]Yes the Hermit album is very good. Was listening to the Tubes last week too ( produced by Todd)! Initiation was more his prog rock period (with Another Live).

My son is also a fan.

I guess one day he might be revered for the musical icon he is (sorry for the Initiation pun... Should have said ''Ikon'') and there might be one of those bbc2 documentaries?[/quote]

I have a documentary, a poor VHS tape, from the early 80''s, named after the album The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect.

I kind of get the feeling that Todd isn''t bothered about acclaim and although he has hosted it would not be bothered about the R&R Hall of Fame. His catalogue is proof enough.

Frank Zappa (with or without The Mothers Of Invention)Neil Young (with or without Crazy Horse)YesGolden EarringLed ZeppelinBlack SabbathDeep PurpleSteve VaiWithin TemptationAnd finally my one "non rock" indulgenceMylene Farmer (French, brilliant & gorgeous)[img]https://s11.postimg.org/jj8y7stj7/16486896_1219559301430734_1861243475434872531_o_X.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Making Plans"]Frank Zappa (with or without The Mothers Of Invention)Neil Young (with or without Crazy Horse)YesGolden EarringLed ZeppelinBlack SabbathDeep PurpleSteve VaiWithin TemptationAnd finally my one "non rock" indulgenceMylene Farmer (French, brilliant & gorgeous)[img]https://s11.postimg.org/jj8y7stj7/16486896_1219559301430734_1861243475434872531_o_X.jpg[/img][/quote]

Black sabbath and deep purple.

Top stuff

The Human League

Shakatak

David Bowie

Hollies

Duran Duran (early years)

Soft Cell

Kate Bush

Kraftwerk

Slade

John Miles

The WhoRadioheadFrank TurnerBeastie BoysPulpREMThe ClashGreen DayRancidPublic Enemy

Too hard. the first are permanent but the last 4 i could''ve picked any from about 30 depending on my mood!

From the start of my musical love to now.Iron MaidenTalking HeadsPixiesSonic YouthMercury RevNeil YoungGodspeed YBEJohann JohannssonMax RichterThee Oh SeesCoud be a long list so honourable mentions to Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Jimmy Smith, AC/DC,Black Sabbath and Fuc*ed Up[Y]

A top ten is tricky to pick if you like a lot of bands. There''s probably between 100 to 200 bands I could find myself listening to. I''d probably have my next 10 as:-

Foo Fighters

Radiohead

Queen

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Pink Floyd

Lana del Rey

Blondie

Wolf Alice

Pixies

The Stone Roses

Ow, just 10 is about as hard as it gets. In no order

The Specials / Terry Hall

The Cure

Blondie

Depeche Mode

REM

Talking Heads

Jack White in his multiple incarnations

New Order/Joy Division

The Undertones

Soft Cell

I feel dirty at excluding the likes of the simply wonderful Aretha Franklin, Editors, Pulp, Madness, Bob Mould/Husker Du, The Pixies, The Clash, The Stone Roses, Blur, Radiohead, The Go-Betweens, Rolling Stones, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, Ray Charles et al my list could go to 50.

but thats my today, right now list - would be different come 3pm..