Sign in to follow this  
DDD In The Fine City

Klose out

As yet again we have to find a single person to blame I''m going for the most overrated defender I''ve seen in a long time Timm Klose

Been here over a year now, started with a couple of awful games in the prem, then the only half a dozen decent performances we''ve seen from him before he got injured, since then he has looked no better than any lower league defender that can be picked up for about 500k, why is this bloke void of any criticism?

He constantly gets knocked of the ball by any player with a bit of strength, he''s got the turning circle and speed of the QE2, he isn''t that great in the air and struggles to mark players from set pieces and as for his passing I''d rather have Gary Doherty hoofing the ball long as his passes land square on the head of the opposition midfield.

Why is it the second Bassong makes a mistake the crowd and fans on social media jump straight on his back yet Timmy the golden boy gets zero criticism? Just look at the goals we''ve conceded this season which are solely his fault

Is it because he posts daily snapchats and hashtags?

I''ve got an idea Timm, get off social media and learn how to stop the opposition scoring

For me Klose is still our best centre back by a fair distance. It was staggering how much our defence improved when he settled in in that first season. However he has found the Championship a struggle and it does seem to be the increased physicality of strikers at this level that gets to him.

I definitely agree that Seb and Tim get treated very differently.

With regards to Tim''s place in the team I would be happy to drop him if I thought we had a better option. For me Bennett is not a better player and Seb has similar mistake potential. Turner is still injured.

I would say that Tim was better than decent during the pre-injury prem stint.

For me he is the best centre back at the club - sadly he isn''t that good at the moment but Tim playing badly is still as good as our other options - and if he finds some form again...

I love Pritchard but would have preferred if we had spent that 8m on a centre back in the summer - but hindsight eh? If you''d asked me at the time I would''ve wanted it spent on a striker along with the majority of City fans. Hopefully we can sort it this summer. A 25-ish aggressive stopper of a centre back would be a great partner for Klose in either the Championship or prem.

He''s not been better than Bassong (or Turner) used to be. And he''s not much better than Bassong now.

I would guess that Klose''s current level of performances have guaranteed his international call-ups well and truly at an end.

He is supposedly the leading light in what is proving to be one of the worst defences in the Championship. They are a shambles.

I haven''t yet seen the defensive coaches stand up and take responsibility. I assume we have some?

Physicality?

Murphy roughed him up earlier in the season yes but most of the other occasions he has been found wanting its been nothing to do with physicality. He just doesn''t mark people.

Massively overrated player. as much as people try and hype him up he was a Wolfsberg reserve not a "champions league" defender. On his day he can look class but this season he''s been appalling.

No he wasn''t there so he should have kicked the ball into touch instead of trying to be clever and getting caught on the ball trying to see it out, this is half of my point, golden boy Swiss international Timmy can do no wrong, Burtons first goal was 100% his fault no one else''s as has been several this season

@Jim

I thought Donaldson''s physicality away at Birmingham unsettled him.

@DDD

Out of interest which other goals have been 100% his fault?

I said this the other day. As soon as Russell Martin makes a cock up, he is hounded on social media etc. Klose does and the same people don''t even mention.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I said this the other day. As soon as Russell Martin makes a cock up, he is hounded on social media etc. Klose does and the same people don''t even mention.[/quote][Y]And that sums up the point being made here.

It''s a classic football philosophy though. People will always have their favourites and scapegoats. Klose isn''t a bad player and can be exceptional, however I don''t think he''s the defensive rock some see him as. If we were to lose him in the summer as long as a decent replacement was found, I don''t think we''d be any worse off.

I just don''t think the point about him not getting criticism is true though.

I''ve literally just typed ''Timm Klose'' in to twitter. Here are some tweets...

"Would a new manager get more from Timm Klose or is he just not very good? Been shocking all season."

"The Myth that is Timm Klose, yet another mistake (2 in a week) but presumably he will be immune from criticism"

"Another Timm Klose error today I''m hearing. How has Alex Neil not run out of patience?? Come on Norwich!!!!"

"Last few games timm klose has looked so poor. Another mistake today costing us a goal"

Was delighted he got dropped earlier in season. He''s been so under par it''s unbelievable. Many on here criticised AN for it. Especially on twitter i was seeing all sorts of crap.

For me he''s slap bang average. Slow, gets bullied to easy and mistake prone. To top it off probably our highest paid player behind Naismith.

The reality is his social media antics has whipped some of our fans into a frenzy about him.

Would 100% cash in on him in summer. Hopefully a German side will take him back. Can''t see another English team wanting him.

Are you trying to say Bassong is getting abused by our fans when he''s just warming up? Would be interested to hear if anyone else has heard that...

Can we stop blaming individual players and realise there is only one real idiot at this club and that is the manager who should have gone long ago.

I went to both Rothrham and Burton and apart from the sending off the pattern was exactly the same. We have a lazy lazy arrogant team full of players who somehow believe they are better than the opposition so dont need to do the ugly side of the game, rather like England.

The back four especially the center backs are so static during the game it is like they are asleep, and for that I will round on our darling captain Russell Martin. He can talk the talk but when he is on the pitch well I never saw him sort anything out. His reaction after the Klose incident was apalling just started wandering back to kick off. At least Ruddy had a go showed he cares!

Josh Murphy came on and showed in ten minutes how to take Burtons defence apart.

I honestly from the start of the season do not think this team are at the right fitness levels hence look so sluggish on pitch and pick up so many injuries.

As someone pointed out we are now in same situation as Arsenal in that we have a manager who is "OK" if you just want Champs football, hasnt a clue how to build from the back ie getting rid of Martin Bassong Turner Whitts and bringing in decent young backs.

Which is why having watched the pathetic performance at Burton I for one would happily see Ipswich thrash us if it meant AN leaves, trouble is think he is now teflon coated!

Yes know I will get huge stick for this but I actually want to see players who give a fig when they concede a goal and that involves getting decent captain in team preferably one at center back!

All 4 of our CBs have been awful this season (not counting Turner) and Kloses error on sat is indefensible and he deserves the criticism he is getting.

However we are stuck with just them until the season end. And it is clear to me that the least bad pairing we have seen so far this season is Klose / Martin; when they were dropped our defending quickly got worse - so I am not sure that there is much alternative.

However the one pairing we have yet to try is bassong / klose - we tried it a few time last season before making the choice to concede more by going with klose / bennett.

Both normally outperform their even more inept partners, while making a regular mistake, so while they both prefer the left side it for me has some merit. Its not great, but I doubt it will be the worst pairing we have seen this season.

Don''t think Klose has offered us anything more this season than Martin or Bassong (and in some cases even less). For his fee etc that''s abysmal yet there''s much more anti-bassong and anti-martin stuff on here.

Klose & Bennett to some extent seem to avoid any sort of criticism. Martin & Bassong have at times this season been booed or jeered. And to be fair there isn''t much between the 4 of them. Think it''s because we all wanna believe Klose is really good because we all love a cult hero signed from over seas. But in reality he really isn''t.

The fact that russell Martin has probably been our best centre back this year tells it''s own story. Personally think Bennett is better dealing with the physicality than what Klose is.

Chemical Bro wrote:

''''How can u blame the manager for individual mistakes''''

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Because he''s the manager? He controls the training, motivates and mentally prepares the players for games etc etc? When individual mistakes are as frequent and widespread across the team as they are for us it''s pretty obvious that the problem is in the coaching.

Where were these individual errors 2 seasons ago when we got promotion? Even last year in the prem we were nowhere near this sloppy!

Ask yourself what the common denominator is in all this..

The mistake by Klose was making the wrong decision, trying to shepherd out a ball that was slowing down - I could see (I was on that side of our stand so very close to this bit of action) as soon as the pass was played, it would be a struggle to see it out for a goal kick.

But the question is, why is Klose still trying to do that in the Championship ?  Why hasn''t the manager made him understand he has got to take a bit more of a safety-first attitude at this level of football ?

What people miss is that defending is more about the unit, the players need to be well-drilled, organized, and to work together.  We''re talking about the back 4 plus the GK plus the midfielders with defensive duties.

IMO any of our CBs - Klose, Bennett, Martin and Bassong - are fully capable of playing to a high standard in the Championship.  If we had a manager who could get the defence properly organized.  But we don''t.