Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

stop buying this utter nonsense that we don't have players suited to the championship?

Does playing in the championship mean you can''t mark players from crosses or cut out basic through balls along the ground?

Which of the 6 players who started on Saturday who were in our promotion team of two years ago are not suited to the championship? Or is it Pritchard who was in the championship team of the season the same year? Or mam mountain Dijks who looks like he was born to play in the championship?

If it were true it would still be down to Neil as he has assembled the squad but it''s utter nonsense. The truth is we struggle because our defence is a disorganised shambles, we have no style of play, no organisation, no identity as a side and a rubbish manager who the players don''t really rate/like. If our main tactic of having better players than the opposition fails then we have nothing to fall back on other than hoofing it to Jerome and we have a squad rammed with attaching midfield players who are individually decent but we''re not really needed at the time we bought them and who we struggle to accommodate in our side.

Why even Archant are allowing Neil to spread this narrative to again pass the buck (he started drip feeding it during our bad run) is beyond me.

Was interested yesterday to listen to an interview with Sir Clive Woodward about coaching, he was saying that it was his training as a PE teacher that had helped him immensely in his work as a coach.

Amongst the many things he said was that it was his job with the team was to make every individual player as good as they could possibly be as individuals, if you can achieve then the team as a whole can more or less look after itself. Bit of an exacgeration I know but the key point for his success was his work with individual players and seeing them reach their own potential.

Part of that work also involves consistency of performance and self belief, add that to confidence in your system and your team mates to do their own job and you have success.

How many of those ingredients do we have?

JS I agree completely and it''s why I am utterly frustrated this season.  I think we have easily got one of the 2 or 3 strongest squads for the Championship, judged on suitability of the players for the Championship.  A couple of top strikers for this level, a wealth of creative attacking talent, a well-stocked midfield, and a defence of players who have all shown they can perform well at this level. 

Yes, in an ideal world we''d probably have kept Bradley J for this season, but I think we have several midfielders fully capable of playing the same sort of role.  It''s really asking for the icing on the cake to strengthen that area.

What was truly appalling about Saturday was not that we went down to defeat at Burton relatively tamely... it was the fact that no one could really say they were surprised.

To have this squad and be in the position where even the playoffs are now unlikely... it just beggars belief.

I agree that lack of players suited to the Championship is not the issue. The issue is our players'' inability to adapt to playing in the way needed in both the EPL and increasingly the Championship. It isn''t just that the manager pays no more than lip service to defence (as ron obvious rightly commented on another thread), it''s that we have a squad built to play "expansive" football and only comfortable when allowed by other teams to do just that. Away from Carrow Road, and sometimes even there, the Burtons and Rotherhams of the Championship can do much the same against us as the defensively well-organised counter-attacking teams of the EPL, with much the same results.