Sign in to follow this  
The Engineer

Number of away games attended

I was at City''s furthest away game.

11 May 1979 at Newmarket Park Auckland. against the New Zealand national team.

City won 4-1.

The next day, the main stand collapsed and the NZ team had to find a new ground.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Excellent KG. Were you living there at the time?

I did see the ''2nd leg'' when we beat them 5-0 (or 5-1?) at home![/quote]

Indeed I was Crabby. I met up with a few from Norwich at the match and we had hoped to be able to go to the team''s hotel afterwards but we weren''t allowed.

I met some of the players before the game and the next morning at the airport when they were flying back home to the UK and I was flying home to Wellington.

Thinking back to those days, I think the players were much more approachable and didn''t really realise how much they meant to us supporters. And to be honest, I would have paid the club to be able to play for them, talent aside of course.

I think nowadays the players know how important it is to us but are too far up themselves. Probably not entirely their fault but I would like to see a little more humility from players.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Seen City play away at 86 current league sides but 3 of those have now moved to new grounds. Have also seen 24 clubs on more than 1 ground, 3 in the case of Brighton[/quote]What about the 3 for Charlton at The Valley,Upton Park and Selhurst Park ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Seen City play away at 86 current league sides but 3 of those have now moved to new grounds. Have also seen 24 clubs on more than 1 ground, 3 in the case of Brighton[/quote]What about the 3 for Charlton at The Valley,Upton Park and Selhurst Park ?[/quote]

Remember the days when a 3rd replay in the cup was played at a neutral ground, I saw us get a trouncing by Leeds at Villa Park. 

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Seen City play away at 86 current league sides but 3 of those have now moved to new grounds. Have also seen 24 clubs on more than 1 ground, 3 in the case of Brighton[/quote]What about the 3 for Charlton at The Valley,Upton Park and Selhurst Park ?[/quote]

Remember the days when a 3rd replay in the cup was played at a neutral ground, I saw us get a trouncing by Leeds at Villa Park. [/quote]5-0 if i remember rightly ?Also i remember being at Stamford Bridge for a League Cup replay v Man City and i think that ended up 6-1 with Martin Peters scoring our goal. The crowd was only about 6,000.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Seen City play away at 86 current league sides but 3 of those have now moved to new grounds. Have also seen 24 clubs on more than 1 ground, 3 in the case of Brighton[/quote]What about the 3 for Charlton at The Valley,Upton Park and Selhurst Park ?[/quote]

Remember the days when a 3rd replay in the cup was played at a neutral ground, I saw us get a trouncing by Leeds at Villa Park. [/quote]

I got married the day we played the home match so vowed we would have to break the honeymoon in London to go to the replay.

I had a very wealthy aunt in Guiseley near Leeds who we managed to stay with and she drove us to the match in her Rolls Royce. We gave a Leeds bloke a lift who was late for the game and running to the ground. Talk about all his Christmases coming at once.!

We drew 1-1 and could have won it despite hardly having the ball. Got our comeuppance as you say.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Seen City play away at 86 current league sides but 3 of those have now moved to new grounds. Have also seen 24 clubs on more than 1 ground, 3 in the case of Brighton[/quote]What about the 3 for Charlton at The Valley,Upton Park and Selhurst Park ?[/quote]

Remember the days when a 3rd replay in the cup was played at a neutral ground, I saw us get a trouncing by Leeds at Villa Park. [/quote]5-0 if i remember rightly ?Also i remember being at Stamford Bridge for a League Cup replay v Man City and i think that ended up 6-1 with Martin Peters scoring our goal. The crowd was only about 6,000.[/quote]Just looked it up and it was 29th September 1975 and a League Cup 2nd Round 2nd Replay. It was indeed 6-1 and the crowd was 6,238.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]2004/5 did every game home and away. With matches at the end of the previous season I did about 50 consecutive[/quote]Likewise. That didn''t end well. Probably do around 8/10 aways now but it''s hard work.Did Burton as a neutral once and many moons ago was in Devon on holiday and watched Bournemouth beat Exeter in a pre-season friendly at St James''s Park when Ted MacDougall still played for them. He scored two I think.Been to London Rd as a neutral a few times over the years the best match being when they dumped Liverpool out of the League Cup.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Also i remember being at Stamford Bridge for a League Cup replay v Man City and i think that ended up 6-1 with Martin Peters scoring our goal. The crowd was only about 6,000.[/quote]It would have been two less without you and me then Tilly.You''re bang on with the score. Though at the time when Peters made it 1-1 you''d never have thought it''d turn out that bad [:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Seen City play away at 86 current league sides but 3 of those have now moved to new grounds. Have also seen 24 clubs on more than 1 ground, 3 in the case of Brighton[/quote]What about the 3 for Charlton at The Valley,Upton Park and Selhurst Park ?[/quote]
Three teams at that wonderful Selhurst : -
Palace
Charlton
Wimbledon
Three teams at Villa Park: -
Villa 
Everton 
Leeds

Went to many in the early 2000''s with my son. Went on pre season to Malaysia in the Worthy promotion season. Great experience. Only get to one or two away games a season at the moment, strange how your time becomes more committed once the kids move out and you don''t have them as an excuse to go away!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Seen City play away at 86 current league sides but 3 of those have now moved to new grounds. Have also seen 24 clubs on more than 1 ground, 3 in the case of Brighton[/quote]What about the 3 for Charlton at The Valley,Upton Park and Selhurst Park ?[/quote]
Three teams at that wonderful Selhurst : -
Palace
Charlton
Wimbledon
Three teams at Villa Park: -
Villa 
Everton 
Leeds
[/quote]

Not sure about Wimbledon/ MK Dons

Original Wimbledon at Plough Lane, Selhurst & National Hockey Stadium

I went to Birmingham City vs. Preston earlier this season (was down in Brum on business). 2-2, and a fine demonstration of hoofball. Also been to most of the Scottish grounds as a neutral.

I don''t really ascribe to the no-one but Norwich idea...it''s a bit like saying I only like Star Wars, so won''t bother going to see anything else at the cinema.

Apples

I''ve been to a couple of games in the US, saw Colorado Rapids play at Mile High Stadium in Denver and also the Red Bulls in New York