Sign in to follow this  
The Engineer

Number of away games attended

Out of curiosity I just made a spreadsheet listing all the grounds I''ve ticked off my list, went one step further and listed how many times I had been to see the City play at said grounds and worked out I''ve been to 59 away games in the 15 seasons I''ve been going to games, working out at 3.93 away games per season :)

(Been to Newcastle, Leeds and Wigan so far this year, planning on at least Sheffield Wednesday & Huddersfield for the remainder bringing my average up to 4 by the end of this year...)

Also curious to see what neutral games you have been to? I''ve been to...

Man City v Villareal

Man City v Bayern Munich

Man City v Real Madrid

Man City v Liverpool

Accrington Stanley v Tranmere

Bolton v Spurs

Bolton v Blackburn

Bolton v QPR

Fulham v QPR

QPR v MK Dons

Chelsea v Everton FA Cup Final

Chelsea v Blackburn.

I also worked at Old Trafford for a season and saw many games there!

(Was a student at Bolton and Man City did VERY reasonable cup tickets, Bolton did a couple £5 student ticket offers, and I lived with a QPR fan - to explain some of the recurring teams!)

So how many games has everybody else gone to and their averages?

I go to neutral matches for the love of football, and to see teams and players that you wouldn''t necessarily expect to see lining the tunnel at Carrow Road anytime soon... Was gutted Kaka didn''t come off the bench at Man City as thought it would be the only opportunity I would get to see him play!

Forgot another neutral match!

Man City vs Borussia Dortmund - where I discovered my obsession for Mats Hummels after watching him and Santana in the warm up pinging balls to each other over 60yards with unbelievable technique in control never letting the ball hit the floor once!

The Engineer wrote - "I go to neutral matches for the love of football, and to see teams and players that you wouldn''t necessarily expect to see lining the tunnel at Carrow Road anytime soon... "

That''s fair enough, I guess many people have a wide interest in football generally. I''ll watch a neutral match occasionally on the TV, but if I am going to make the effort to go to a match, it would have to involve Norwich in some way.  (Went to an England match once, but that is all).

This will be my lowest season for years due to family commitments. I will probably manage 4 or 5 away games.

From 1994-99 I did around 10-12 a season, between 1999 and 2010 I probably did 20 plus aways per season (with a few seasons where I barely missed a game) and since then the number has been decreasing year on year as the kids have arrived/grown up.

I''d therefore probably put my overall figure around the 330 mark with an average of 12 per season over the years.

I used to travel regularly with guys who will have done 2 or 3 times that.

Depends season to season as my work varies but a paltry 3 so far, though I''m going to Sheff Wed and Bristol City, and hopefully more, I''m thinking Wembley 😉

I''ve done a majority of away grounds (some that are no longer here)

Neutral games?

QPR - West Ham

Sheff Wed - Chelsea

Crewe - Bristol City

Colchester - Crewe

Burnley - Crewe

Lincoln - Chesterfield

Arsenal - Sheff Wed

Walsall - Torquay

Binners - Southampton

Exeter - Plymouth

York - Hartlepool (on the day that we won at Bolton, with a last minute winner from Gary Hooper, and me shouting out ''Yessss'' as we were all leaving the ground, got me lots of strange looks)

Also at Halifax, but can''t remember the opposition.

Forgot a few Torquay home games (when they were in the League) as I was dating a girl from there at the time...........

Depends season on season for me too, when I lived in Devon most away games were easier to get to than Carrow road. I decided on the way back from Brentford nye that was my last away game for the season and I will no longer be traveling by cabbage unless I have no other option, soul destroying having to sit on a coach with mongs blowing party blowers and balloons when all I want to do is get as far away from idiots and sink large amounts of cider

As for neutral games my step dad is a Man City fan so been to the etihad about 10 times for various games as well as a few away games but it ain''t as fun when you don''t really care about the result

Ah, I thought you meant ''away games THIS season''. Been to a lot of grounds but Sheff Weds will be a new one for me, and am looking forward to it.

With our travels through the divisions, I had the idea I''d do all the 92 but looking it up, you need to submit tickets for all matches attended ! I haven''t even kept my ticket for my first visit on Saturday to Burton !  

I''ve been to a few neutral games- I live near Cambridge and have gone there a couple of times, went to Fulham a couple of times when I lived in London.

Also went to watch Koln play when I was out there- German football stadiums are really something.

I''ve done around 35 to 40 in 6 years, and done around 30 of the League grounds. At my peak I''ve done around 12 in one season.

I''m on 7 consecutive away games without us even scoring and after our slump and the defeat to Derby in November, I''ve decided to stop for the time being. Mr Plastic.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I''ve done around 35 to 40 in 6 years, and done around 30 of the League grounds. At my peak I''ve done around 12 in one season.

I''m on 7 consecutive away games without us even scoring and after our slump and the defeat to Derby in November, I''ve decided to stop for the time being. Mr Plastic.[/quote]I am on a short break after Barnsley. No shame in it.

One of my neutral games was back in the 70''s when I was in the Royal Navy. I was going out with a girl from Glasgow, at the same time there was a Celtic v Rangers match on, so I went. so much trouble and a running battle throughout. Needless to say I was frightened to even open my English mouth  !

Saturday at Burton was my 7th away game this season and as it was a new ground made it 84 of the current 92 that i have watched City play at. In 1980 i did the full 42 game season home and away.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Saturday at Burton was my 7th away game this season and as it was a new ground made it 84 of the current 92 that i have watched City play at. In 1980 i did the full 42 game season home and away.[/quote]Have you kept the tickets of those 84 attended ?

[quote user="SwindonCanary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Saturday at Burton was my 7th away game this season and as it was a new ground made it 84 of the current 92 that i have watched City play at. In 1980 i did the full 42 game season home and away.[/quote]Have you kept the tickets of those 84 attended ?[/quote]No mate.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]How many matches did you spend the game with a face like a slapped ass grumbling and moaning to yourself?[/quote][:D]

The last away game I went to (the 2015 play-off final being at a neutral rather than an away ground) was at Craven Cottage on May 15, 2005. The game itself seems to have wiped itself from my memory - probably not a lot happened - but I do remember it was a nice day, with a pleasant stroll by the Thames beforehand...