Sign in to follow this  
Ooh Ahh Lee Power

Ian Culverhouse

Crikey. That''s a fall from grace in 3 years. A number 2 at a prem club to a manager in the 3rd tier of non league football.

Was well known he was the tactical brains behind the Lambert era.

[quote user="Move Klose"]Crikey. That''s a fall from grace in 3 years. A number 2 at a prem club to a manager in the 3rd tier of non league football.

Was well known he was the tactical brains behind the Lambert era.[/quote]He left Villa a few seasons back after allegations of bullying, so maybe it was a case of take what comes - and this way he is in charge rather than being the assistant

[quote user="Move Klose"]Crikey. That''s a fall from grace in 3 years. A number 2 at a prem club to a manager in the 3rd tier of non league football.

Was well known he was the tactical brains behind the Lambert era.[/quote]The PL isn''t the be all and end all of football - in some ways top tier football is the most distorted of all forms of football.  He''s got his first manager''s job and embarking on a new challenge. No fall from grace that I can see, only a footballer of some intelligence wanting to be a manager.

I''d say its a pretty good opportunity, Lynn has the infrastructure and potential to be challenging at the top if the conference if somebody can get the results on the pitch right. Having Norfolk as a base obviously appeals to him as well. No doubt he would have liked his first job to be a bit higher but it''s still a good place to start.

Lol, Lakey, I do admire your unerring ability to spin something in the most positive light. Well played sir

[quote user="Ian"]Lol, Lakey, I do admire your unerring ability to spin something in the most positive light. Well played sir[/quote]It''s not difficult because it''s a win win situation for Culverhouse.  Experience at playing and coaching at the top level of the game - but no managerial experience and unlikely to get it at any high level. So for career development he''s going to get managerial experience lower down, which if he does well at, will probably springboard him to manager''s jobs higher up....if he wants it. 

''Unlikely to get it at any higher level.''

Again, what on earth are you on about?

Take a look at the managers in the Championship and see how many of them started their managerial career at the level Culverhouse is going in at.

I''d hazard a guess that the bullying issue that saw him lose his job at Villa has tainted his reputation so much that people higher up won''t touch him. It is notable that since he left the only job he could get was assistant manager at a League Two club.

[quote user="king canary"]Being as Lynn is something of a retirement home for our failed youth team prospects I imagine it is a fall from grace.[/quote]

I thought that was Lowestoft?

[quote user="king canary"]It is notable that since he left the only job he could get was assistant manager at a League Two club.[/quote]All the more reason to go to a club like Kings Lynn to start a managerial career.   With his experience of the top level game he will always be able to step back up to higher leagues - if he does a good job at KL.   Incididentally, the "bullying" allegations are just that - allegations.  The truth of the matter is probably more to do with frustration at results, anger from the coaching staff at the lack of effort being shown by the Villa players - and probably fallings out with other established staff at the club with Karsa and Culverhouse trying too hard to change attitudes and practices at an institutionalised failing club.  And it is still failing. If Culverhouse needs to get some vindication and needs to lose the Villa baggage for the sake of his career, he is at the ideal kind of club to do so. Oh, and less of the "what are you on about" thanks, just keep it to fooball.

Lakey, you''ve just created your own story about what happened at Villa, without actually being there, to suit your agenda. I would hazard the bullying allegations had an element of truth to them and that is why Culverhouse has had to drop to such a low level. It''s also interesting that Karsa has since been employed at Championship clubs but IC hadn''t, and Paul Lambert hadn''t chosen to work with him, which suggests something went on there.

Unless IC pulls up some serious trees at Lynn, the chances of him being noticed and managing a higher level club are pretty slim.

Perhaps he has struggled to get a position due to the bullying allegations, who knows, but it could just be an attempt to stay in the game and give management a crack on his own. He''s only 52 so doubt he''s seeing it as a retirement job! Good luck to him and Lynn anyway, not a bad project there

The ''what are you on about'' was about football and your opinion on it that all to often don''t appear to be based in reality.

1) You claimed that Kings Lynn was the highest level he could hope to get a managers job due to his lack of managerial experience despite the fact this is demonstrably untrue. Paul Heckingbottom got his first managerial job in League One, Dean Smith at Brentford is the same, Simon Grayson started in League One, Wagner got his first full job at Championship level. In fact you can argue that by dropping down into non-league he''s hurt his chances of building a successful managerial career as I can''t think of anyone off the top of my head who has moved up through the levels in that way- lots of places would rather take a coach or assistant from a professional team than a manager from a semi-pro non-league team.

2) As another poster pointed out you''ve just made up a narrative for what happened at Villa based on nothing. All the available evidence points to him being sacked for bullying.

[quote user="king canary"] As another poster pointed out you''ve just made up a narrative for what happened at Villa based on nothing. All the available evidence points to him being sacked for bullying.[/quote]You said I was guessing in an earlier post, but you are doing exactly the same.   Your "available evidence" is bare and unexplained. The whole story about his time at villa is under wraps, no-one know the full story. I will "hazard a guess"  that there were extreme personality and ego problems going on at villa - and probably still are, judging by Saint Steve''s lack of success with the club.  I would also "hazard a guess" that Karsa and Culverhouse were at the sharp end of those issues and had to battle to try and have any effect in their jobs.  If that turned into bullying, so be it, but if you fighting against a culture that is well set, there are going to be problems.  I suspect..no I will guess....that player power did for them. There is no smoke without fire and maybe they did overstep the mark, but as I said to start with, in his position - a club like Kings Lynn is a good place to start to embark on rebuilding his career. He was plainly NOT going to get a job higher up - for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.Good luck to him.

Here is the available evidence...

He was suspended, investigated then sacked by Villa out of the blue over bullying.

Paul Lambert, who had worked with him at multiple clubs, was happy to cut him loose and hasn''t looked to work with him since.

He was then unable to find a job for over 18 months before popping up as a League Two assistant.

What part of that points to his sacking from Villa being abut player power?

I''d "hazard a guess" that being sacked after an inquiry following allegations of bullying, meant that they probably found evidence of bullying.

http://www.pm-law.co.uk/2014/04/aston-villa-backroom-staff-suspended-over-bullying-allegations/

"If that turned into bullying, so be it"

So is bullying OK now, if you''re fighting against a "culture"? I suspect, no sorry guess, that club staff and players were unimpressed and offended by bullying and that player power had nothing to do with it.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I''d "hazard a guess" that being sacked after an inquiry following allegations of bullying, meant that they probably found evidence of bullying.

http://www.pm-law.co.uk/2014/04/aston-villa-backroom-staff-suspended-over-bullying-allegations/

"If that turned into bullying, so be it"

So is bullying OK now, if you''re fighting against a "culture"? I suspect, no sorry guess, that club staff and players were unimpressed and offended by bullying and that player power had nothing to do with it.[/quote]

That isn''t what "so be it" meant. It meant "so be it" in the sense that if it was bullying, it was bullying - so no "alright" about it.    If they stepped  over the line then they were rightly disciplined for it.