Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Cancer has no colours

Today I read the news that little Bradley Lowery has developed yet another tumour, and it just about damn near broke my heart.

The poor kid is five years old and was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma (just about the most aggressive form of Cancer) aged 3. It is now terminal and the lad just can''t catch a break. Yet through it all, he smiles and makes the best of the hand he has been dealt. That kid is stronger and braver than most of us could dream of being.
I know Sunderland (whom he supports) have done a lot to support him, and Everton also had him as a mascot (in addition to donating £200k to his fund). MOTD crowned him goal of the month winner for January. I personally will be doing something to raise funds for his cause, but I thought it would be good form for us as a club to do something for him. The family are taking donations to raise money for treatment that may prolong his life, to make memories with him and whatever is left when his day comes will be put aside into a charity fund to help Neuroblastoma sufferers.
The club thing doesn''t necessarily have to involve money (although I will unashamedly post a link to his JustGiving page here for anyone who wishes to contribute: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/bradleylowerysfight ), but just something to show we care and that the lad has got thousands supporting him.
Maybe we can ask the club to invite him down for the day and give him a taste of proper football (and of course the full blown VIP treatment), or maybe we could do something as fans to support him (eg get a banner made up or something or a card display before kick off or something).
I don''t know, I''m not full of ideas right now, but I just know I want to do something personally, and I would really like NCFC as a club to do something too. Open to suggestions.
Image result for bradley lowery

Kick it Off, your motives and comments are commendable, cancer strikes at every corner of society.

The young man has had much to fight in his short life, I certainly wish him the very best.

Many many others contend daily with life threatening situations, and they need support too, most of them with a lower public profile than that young man.

It''s up to all of us to do what we can to support neighbors and friends in those situations while we can,who knows what may strike us in the future.

I think a large banner is a great idea for before kick-off on Sunday, it won''t go unnoticed either with Sky being there :) I would be willing to donate (although I have extremely limited funds after still adjusting to the world after uni).

Anyone know anyone at the club to help get this set up?

A lovely idea.A few years ago I lost my uncle to cancer – he was only in his 40s, a long-distance cyclist and as fit as a fiddle. He was also an avid ITFC fan, which makes the thread title even more apt. I always think of him on derby day and the banter we used to share – some things are bigger than football.

Kick it off

Well said, you are in my opinion a great human being.

A wonderful idea, i have seen some of the stuff that has been released on young Bradley and the image with him when Jermaine Defoe took time out with him was especially touching. Cancer touches so many people in so many ways, bloody horrible disease! but in a perfect world no child would ever die before their parents, cant think of anything worse, and can only imagine what his parents are going through, as their fight must be the toughest imaginable.

Any message of support we can get to him or his family, i''m sure would only serve as encouragement, and if that adds just one ounce of strength to them then that''s great.

Good thread, and puts life into perspective, any inititiave i could lend any small amount of support to i will, the banner is a great idea, shows the world of football cares, would be nice if there is someone who can help ??

I don''t know what it is like elsewhere but the communities down here in Cornwall do take an active part in helping raise, not just funds, but the awareness of not just the illness but the toll it takes on families.

And I am delighted for this poor little innocent lad to have a great deal of sunshine brought into his dark life. And it must be so supportive for his brave family who must be suffering what none should.

Today''s news brought a lump to my throat as I, among millions, had been hoping there would be good news for this family.

It would indeed be heart warming to see a gesture by the club and /or supporters on Sunday with hopefully a big audience world wide.

Indeed the news of a generous donor for a young Liverpool supporter to continue life saving treatment is helping keep these stories in the public eye.

Hi all,

I will contact Bradley''s family and the club tomorrow and see what is feasible, and then will update the post and we can get the wheels in motion.
Yes [Y]

The poor lad is suffering enough, without having to come down here to see Ed Balls do the gangnam.

It''s been announced that he will be the mascot at the England v Lithuania match at Wembley on March 26. If it''s not sold out already I''m going to get a ticket and support him, every time I see an article about him I feel so emotional, seems like a lovely lad and what is happening to him is so awful.