Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Home Record

P16 W11 D2 L3 F36 A15
Top home scorers in the Championship. Fabulous entertainment. Great goals. And yet...
People have been boycotting. Not renewing. And booing.
I understand about the bigger picture and the rubbish form away from home. But I read on a friends face book time line where a season ticket holder was only renewing because he liked his seat so much. (I''m sure the club would sell it to him for less that he pays to use it for the season). Do these people go to see Norwich or do they go to see PL opposition? I know and fully understand about ambition and playing against the best but our home games this season in the main have been far more enjoyable than last. Unless it''s your bag seeing us beaten by the top sides and grinding out the odd result against the rest. 
Taking away the disappointment of league position have you had VFM from your season ticket so far this season. I have to say I have.

Entertainment, unfortunately, isn''t enough. There is a strong sense of expectation which sours a lot of what we do.  "We should be in the PL"   "We

should be at the top of the league"  "We should have rich owers" "We

should be beating this team" "We should be beating that team".    So multiple home wins, lots of goals, fabulous quality at times, isn''t enough. Shame, really, but it''s the expectation that ruins it.

I do get that Lakey. And I could understand away fans being peed off and maybe not renewing away season tickets. But I don''t understand why home season ticket holders would be even considering not renewing unless they ultimately only want to watch other PL teams?

LDC, you sound like one of those whiny social media quotes...

"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed"

It''s the expectation that ruins it?

Expectation is a key part in making football the great game that it is.

Many many reasons Nutty. Financial. life, family etc

There MAY be one or two who want to just watch PL teams, but they would be considered slightly ridiculous, considering how our recent years have gone. They will be in the minority of those who will not be renewing.

I think a lot of the problem is we''ve been spoilt (maybe not the right word).

We''ve had something to play for every season - fighting for promotion, or fighting against relegation.

I think disposing of the lesser teams in this league at home with some good goals isn''t quite the same when you don''t feel that same sense of importance is attached to a game.

After all, I enjoyed some of Neil Adams late games where we smashed a couple of teams at home but it didn''t feel like it had the same significance because of our surrounding form.

Personally? I''ll always renew. At the very least it gives me something to moan about =]

You raise an interesting point, Nutty. I remember during the Hughton era the style of play came in for much criticism as being too defensive, or too pragmatic. Some suggested that they would rather see us play expansive football and not do so well - which is perhaps what we have?The truth of the matter is that we want it all - we want to adventurous attacking football AND we want to win - a tall order for any manager.

I think you can gauge people view from the last two home matches, and which one they enjoyed the most.

Forest was a goal fest, with quality goals, but not much in way of a match. But got the required win/ 3 points etc.

Newcastle, undoubtedly better opposition who will be premier league next year, was a tougher match, but in my view a better match, and I personally felt more entertained in that match.

Are we not still aiming for a top six place Hoggy, have we not been at least doing that all season, how can you say the games didn''t have a sence of importance or significance?

I think the point about having something to play for is very relevant - well, it is to me. Whilst this season has been a disappointment in terms of our league position, we are still within a couple of wins of the playoff positions and ultimately a chance of going up. If 5th or 6th place becomes unachievable, the excitement of going to the game will automatically disappear for me and the games become meaningless and turn into a pre-season friendly atmosphere - like the West Brom game of a couple of years ago and the Watford one last year.

However, 3 of the games are against Reading, Fulham and Brighton who will all have something to play for, so they''ll come here fighting for the points, meaning they''ll be much more competitive games. Potentially the only one that''ll be a damp squib will be the QPR game, unless we''re in with a chance of a play of place, obviously.

Double NN.

People who bother to post on this site are highly unlikely not to renew their season tickets. If they are involved to the extent that they post on here then they will go because they "have" to.

I have lived in Cornwall for a long time but "have" to follow City. But for the last four years I have been caterinf for a local rugby team and love the excitement of watching "live". Crowd banter, pint at half time (few after as well) and the smell of grass and liniment don''t compensate but help in not being able to watch City.

I have posted many times that I don''t care what division City play in as long as they entertain, excite and play the way that has been pretty well established since John Bond.

And many branded me lil ole Norwich or unambitious. Far from it.

We have a squad good enough in this division and as you point out, the home form illustrates that. That hasn''t stopped me wanting AN replaced because I don''t like his attitude of worrying more about the opposition than vice versa among other things.

But Norwich is reasonably unique in that it has no other reasonable opposition. Good grief our derby game is in another county and over 40 miles away. Most people go because they want or "have" to and to be fair, when I see the crowd on TV, there does appear to be a lot of middle aged people attending so they aren''t as impetuous as some of the more younger outspoken fraternity.

[quote user="Woodman"]I think the point about having something to play for is very relevant - well, it is to me. Whilst this season has been a disappointment in terms of our league position,we are still within a couple of wins of the playoff positions and ultimately a chance of going up. If 5th or 6th place becomes unachievable, the excitement of going to the game will automatically disappear for me and the games become meaningless and turn into a pre-season friendly atmosphere - like the West Brom game of a couple of years ago and the Watford one last year.

However, 3 of the games are against Reading, Fulham and Brighton who will all have something to play for, so they''ll come here fighting for the points, meaning they''ll be much more competitive games. Potentially the only one that''ll be a damp squib will be the QPR game, unless we''re in with a chance of a play of place, obviously.[/quote]Two wins will not have us in a playoff spot but it is probably just me being a whinging,whiney miserable old git. [:)]

It''s a good job we have such a great customer base, it''s this customer satisfaction requirement which is the difference to the results at home to away.

Just think if we had a poor customer base we would have a home record similar to our away form!

Long live the NCFC customer.😉

Keelan, the age of our supporters is, in many ways, reflective of the cost of going to a game. £500 min for a season ticket or £30 for an adult casual ticket is out of range for many, and if you bring the kids, it becomes an expensive afternoon with drinks, programmes, food... Middle aged and older people with more disposable income are more likely to attend.

Oh and thanks Til, missing out by a point would be galling!

All interesting points. especially about John Bond because thinking back to that era we went a long time (nearly 2 years?) between away wins.

I specifically asked the question because there are ST holders not renewing. They''ve said so on this site. And most of the comments on this thread seem to be from disatisfied customers. Is that maybe the problem? Am I the only one who feels they have had vfm this season or is this another supporter/customer divide?

Good job we have the playoffs otherwise over half the league would have nothing to play for. However did we hold our interest back in the day?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]All interesting points. especially about John Bond because thinking back to that era we went a long time (nearly 2 years?) between away wins.

I specifically asked the question because there are ST holders not renewing. They''ve said so on this site. And most of the comments on this thread seem to be from disatisfied customers. Is that maybe the problem? Am I the only one who feels they have had vfm this season or is this another supporter/customer divide?

Good job we have the playoffs otherwise over half the league would have nothing to play for. However did we hold our interest back in the day?[/quote]

And under Bonzo we had, I believe, 23 draws, a record, in a season,

And of course with only 2 points for a win then, there was a little bit more of a squash in mid table so you were never too far off the top but never too far from the bottom.

So I doubt managers "rested" anyone then rather they pumped them with cortisone and sent them out.

Maybe some won''t renew but will still turn up on a casual basis to watch the bigger games.

Let''s not forget, we only started getting crowds over 16K in 2003/4 after we went top after Derby away.

Are they not renewing?

Or are they just saying they aren''t renewing?

I simply couldn''t imagine my life without a season ticket now - I work from home so its my pass away from the wife & kids for a few hours on a Saturday, plus its time spent with my dad, which at 27 is still as important to me as when he first started taking me when i was 10...

''Let''s not forget, we only started getting crowds over 16K in 2003/4 after we went top after Derby away.''

Isn;t that wrong though, as that''s when the Jarrold Stand was being built so we had a capacity of roughly 16,000 until it opened?

[quote user="VW"]Are we not still aiming for a top six place Hoggy, have we not been at least doing that all season, how can you say the games didn''t have a sence of importance or significance?[/quote]
I think we''re still aiming for a top 6 spot but there seems to be a lot who wrote us off the play offs midway through that bad run - and that''s when the non-renewers started chirping up on here...

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]When i was a youngster (cup run time.)

38, 000 was the norm.

Standing though.[/quote]]]38,000 was never the norm. we got that many in the ''59 cup run. 38,000 for the cup game then 16,000 for the league game the following Saturday. My first game, 50 years ago next month, was 42,000. The following Saturday''s league game was 13,000. This year''s Cup game suffered a boycott. The times have changed so much!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Two wins will not have us in a playoff spot but it is probably just me being a whinging,whiney miserable old git. [:)][/quote]

Age and experience bring a sense of reality[:D]

38, 000 was the norm.

Standing though.[/quote]But only for Cup games Broadstairs and there have only been 11 of those and all between 1952 and 1967.There have only ever been 9 league attendances over 35k in our entire history.

The club will obviously now have a take-up figure for the first renewal date which can be directly compared with last year''s figure at that stage. I keep thinking they made a comparative statement immediately after February 11th. Anybody recall this or am I imagining it?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]All interesting points. especially about John Bond because thinking back to that era we went a long time (nearly 2 years?) between away wins. [/quote]It was exactly two years Nutty.Went to the first one and would''ve gone to the second but ended up getting married instead.These things happen....[:''(]

38, 000 was the norm.

Standing though.[/quote]

really ?

you have any evidence of this ?