Sign in to follow this  
The Engineer

Rules often broken but not penalised

I was just looking ah when an indirect free kick is given instead of a direct free kick, and whilst reading I noticed a rule that seems to get broken a lot!

An indirect free kick is given if a goalkeeper bounces the ball, throws it up in the air, or holds the ball between any put of is his hand and a surface (i.e. ground or goalpost) except in the circumstance of a save. A goalkeeper also cannot hold the ball in an outstretched open hand.

Seems as though there would be indirect free kicks galore if these particular rules were actually enforced! How many times do you see a goalkeeper bounce the ball or hold the ball out on an outstretched arm in a single game??

Anyone know of any other rules similar to this that seem to be utterly pointless?

Bugger, scratch that! Missed the bit above it which is incorrectly paragraphed in the rules!

I just stated when a goalkeeper is deemed to be in control of the ball...

Pointless thread. Unless anyone does have some real rules that are often broken but not penalised.

Time wasting is my bug bear- refs seem to wait until it gets ridiculous before they use their power to issue yellow cards. I wish they just handed them out as soon as the timewasting starts to lay down a marker.

My big bug-bear is when players are shepherding the ball out - they are meant to be within kicking distance of the ball or it''s an obstruction. You see it time and again where players are miles from the ball blocking off, but it''s never given - it annoys me as much when we do it as it does when it is other sides, as it should be a free kick.

Obstruction would be top of my list too.

Also in the Champs defenders can get away with stopping a run by our players with just a foul as long as they make sure it doesn''t look too bad, which can effectively take someone like Pritchard or Jacob M out of the game for long periods - you have to do something pretty extreme to get a yellow.

[quote user="Jamie Witherspoon"]Wasn''t there a rule change where free kick could be moved forwards ten yards if players argued with the referee? That went well....[/quote]

Throw ins

many are now no more that the player tapping the ball to his forehead before ''pushing'' it into play

gaining distance - how often do you see players gain and extra 5/10 yards... why not simply have the linesman point to where the ball went out and then flag in the player moves forward along the touchline

if the player doesn''t return to that correct spot it is deemed a foul thrown and the throw is given to the opposition

one other point

is it not time to enlarge the corner markings ?

when they were originally drawn up football pitches did not have a stadium a few feet behind them, it makes no sense to have about a foot as it is now

Morty,

Don''t always agree with you but on this occasion I''m in.

Do you think it is an age thing, i.e. the younger generation showing the macho side or just all round general pratness?

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

Don''t always agree with you but on this occasion I''m in.

Do you think it is an age thing, i.e. the younger generation showing the macho side or just all round general pratness?[/quote]Driving is mostly based on common sense, so your second option.

Morty,

But common sense, by definition would be common, i.e. all of us, so therefore is there such a thing as common sense, or do we really mean, those that think the same as us??

Either way, I choose to find it bl**dy annoying. My problem I guess!

Back to football.

When was the last time you saw a penalty kick taken when there was no encroachment

No player should be within ten yards of the ball when it is kicked.

I have observed that 50-70% of throw ins taken in the top flight are foul throws. This particularly annoys me as I couldn''t take a throw-in as a school boy and was always getting called up on it. Professionals who are earning £50K a week plus should be able take a throw in properly.

Not a rule infringement but something that annoys me.

Say an Ipswich player goes down injured screaming histrionics and we put the ball out of play.

A few seconds later the player is fine and an Ipswich player throws in to another who then kicks it right down the pitch to our keeper. And the crowd applauds????

Play only used to be stopped if was an obvious David Busst type injury or something to the head. Or if the ball does go out of play. But play used to continue until the ref stopped play.

So many times it is used as a ploy to stop play for no other reason than to upset the rhythm.

Whilst we''re on the topic, the whole enigma you have to "go down" to get a penalty.

With how ref''s implement the current rules, someone could break both your legs but as long as you were still standing you wouldn''t get a penalty!

Boils my blood!