Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

New banner, that kept quiet......

Loved the banner today, that was a surprise and seemed to have the desired effect, especially when the scum held up their "in the shadow" effort, quality that was worth all 3 points on its own.

Thought the applause was meaningless at best. Fair enough for the people who did it.

But the 14 years business is a history thing and they can point to their peaks of history being far more epic than ours.

As can Portsmouth .. and more recently as wellSimilarly Sheff Utd with titles and FOUR FA cupsneither of which matter diddly squat the pi  ss take about the binners is because they keep on bleating about their ''glorious history''so they will get a reminder of how irrelevant it is ie 15th season in a row in the 2nd tier

[quote user="Bulldog Rummin"]As can Portsmouth .. and more recently as wellSimilarly Sheff Utd with titles and FOUR FA cupsneither of which matter diddly squat the pi  ss take about the binners is because they keep on bleating about their ''glorious history''so they will get a reminder of how irrelevant it is ie 15th season in a row in the 2nd tier[/quote]

Considering we are a club that has a Hall of Fame with everyone in except Dean Coney and Jim Blair, have an open top bus parade as runners up and we hold dinners to celebrate teams that only got to semi finals, then to mention bleating on about history is a bit rich.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]The difference Keelansgrandad is that we don''t spend the whole game singing about it.[/quote]

Yes, that is true. Did not hear much singing today to be honest but was only watching on SKY.

The pre match hype didn''t appear to be justified.

"Considering

we are a club that has a Hall of Fame with everyone in except Dean

Coney and Jim Blair, have an open top bus parade as runners up and we

hold dinners to celebrate teams that only got to semi finals, then to

mention bleating on about history is a bit rich."No it is NOT a bit rich. What club''s do internally is their concern.nTheirs is not internal but and endless whine like a kitten wating feedingAs fans we do not claim some ''special'' staus because of that glorious history, there are no constant idiotic squeaks about our club being everybody;s favourite second club. No pther club''s fans have such a fetish, when many such as Villa and Forest have achieved far more than the paupers have or ever will.Even their won manager MM pulled the pi ss out of them about this glorious history guff within days of joing them. I would further suggest that living in Corwall you don''t meet too many binners so don''t hear this endless shite.

Seems the the wind up merchant has got wound up to me.

Just like the pathetic chanting at each other after yesterdays game, the need to try and act like the past is a chip too many for the girls of the Barclay.

I''ve seen a couple of references on here recently to claims that the binners think they''re a lot of people''s 2nd club. Is that a real thing? I work with people all over the country and I''ve never even heard anyone mention Ipswich, although most seem well disposed to us, Bayern Munich often gets a mention.

I suspect Ipswich supporters think they are a 2nd favourite because most people in Ipswich are either glory hunters who support one of the top PL teams, or are West Ham fans.

Yes ive heard from a lot of people who say Ipswich is the second best club in EastAnglia, so you can see how the dumb binners get it wrong!

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I''ve seen a couple of references on here recently to claims that the binners think they''re a lot of people''s 2nd club. Is that a real thing? I work with people all over the country and I''ve never even heard anyone mention Ipswich, although most seem well disposed to us, Bayern Munich often gets a mention.

I suspect Ipswich supporters think they are a 2nd favourite because most people in Ipswich are either glory hunters who support one of the top PL teams, or are West Ham fans.[/quote]

They''re most people in Ipswich''s second club.

The bit that is missing from this debate, is how much to our advantage continually bleating about the past is.

If you are unfortunate to visit Portaloo Road, as I was for the Brighton game this year, you are struck by the influence black and white photo''s of "Mickey" Mills still have at the heart of their culture. This is fan lead. The Club, like any organisation knows that is has to live in the here and now to succeed , but it isn''t allowed to. As soon as the Fans get involved, you have the Legends bar, with photos of Trevor Whymark instead of any modern day hero''s that youngsters can relate too.

TWTD ran a poll to ask for suggestions about a banner in the Ground and immediately got inundated with photos of dead people like Sir Alf and Bobby Robson. And images of long sideburns and the Twin Towers at Wembley, long ago demolished.

In business , those that cling to the past rarely succeed (Good Luck Nokia with the 3310 relaunch BTW) , and the Binners are a cracking example of this.

Let them carry on. I can remind my kids about the win at Wembley , the promotions, full houses and celebrations in the City. The binners tell tales of Franz Muhren scoring against some Belgium team that don''t exist any more.

Long may it continue.

Visit the dump and you''ll realise why they need to wallow in their little bit of past success.

Small town syndrome.

God awful place.

GP''s Beard wrote;

If you are unfortunate to visit Portaloo Road, as I was for the Brighton game this year, you are struck by the influence black and white photo''s of "Mickey" Mills still have at the heart of their culture.

Why oh why would you visit there to watch anyone other than Norwich (and that''s bad enough) ?

"You Norwich fans wouldn''t know much about owning things would you?"

Such as stadiums and training grounds you mean?

Oh hang on they.re going on about their history and that massive trophy cabinet of theirs.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I''ve seen a couple of references on here recently to claims that the binners think they''re a lot of people''s 2nd club. Is that a real thing? I work with people all over the country and I''ve never even heard anyone mention Ipswich, although most seem well disposed to us, Bayern Munich often gets a mention.

I suspect Ipswich supporters think they are a 2nd favourite because most people in Ipswich are either glory hunters who support one of the top PL teams, or are West Ham fans.[/quote]It is not a claim, as such.It is something they regularly post up on twtd... something they genuinely believe.Their view is that they are some sort of football '' national treasure'' and anything that happens now is of little meaning as they have their ''history''.Just as many folks undertsanding of WW2 is based around a handful of old films theirs is a sort of ..Mathews final, the Busby Babes, ''66 World cup and Ipswich Town''s domination of domestic and Europeean football.And as the average football hooligan can dismiss the English teams almost continual failing with " two world wars and one world cup doo dah" so the binners cling to the comfort of their glorious history''  .... hence the oft heard bleat of ''you''ll never be us''.So maybe like orthodox jews who wander about in 17th century clobber because that was when their particular sect was started, the binners should wander about in outdated clothes with sideburns, mulletts, and moustaches

..... oh yes I forgot, they already do !