Sign in to follow this  
AcrossThePond

Who have we built the squad around? A discussion (hopefully) on the Norwich way...

Saw this come up on some recent posts, and thought I''d put this out there and get folks thoughts.

The best example of this that comes to the top of my head, is how when Rio Ferdinand was bought by United. Fergie immediately changed the system to utilize his ability to both be a defensive stud, and his pace to break up play (aka sweeper) regardless of the actual formation.

Now, to clarify I know that we do not have a player of the capabilities and stature of Rio, but putting this lens on - specifically looking at the this and last season under Neil - who have we built our team around? Is it simply whoever plays in the hole (i.e Wes)) or just focusing on formation and not building around anything in particular.

Discuss.

Generally, I''d say Wes or a mobile centre forward who can win headers and bring others into play - i.e. Jerome or Nelson). Whilst its not totally true that we only play well when Wes plays well, I think we struggle when he doesn''t, or isn''t allowed to by more physical sides. Ipswich was a prime example of this.

Totally agree with this. Most games - and it is most games - when Wes plays (well I might add!) we win. I am still struggling though to figure out Neil''s overall strategy. Most managers that have been in charge for 2 seasons, it is usually apparent how they want their teams to play regardless of formation. He seems to change the underlying objective of the squad with each formation change.

when I say objective, I am referring to things like:

Swansea, Arsenal - Keep the ball on the ground and pass, pass, pass

United - Attack! Attack! Attack!

While these things do change to a degree with new managers, more often than not this ''philosophy'' stays constant

We are and have not been building a squad around anyone. All AN has done in every transfer window is fix and mend with no forward progression.

Pritchard for me. He''s young, talented and has shown he can do it at this level. A spine containing Klose, Howson, Pritchard and Nelson would be a good starting point. We''ve got a lot of talent in the squad but it is hopelessly imbalanced.

I do not see Pritchard as having the strength or build to have the squad built around him. But I certainly think he is very talented, looks a busy player, and great potential. He is two footed with quick feet plus a good shot. If he continues to develop looks a far better prospect than Wes. However he does need better service particularly from the likes of Tettey. With Wes and Naismith having little impact on Sundays game it was yet another poor managerial decision to delay his entrance until far too late in the game.