Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Jacob Murphy

Will Jacob have learned a lesson from yesterday?   His switching off from the opposition player for the first goal was schoolboy stuff.   Great that his goal got us back in the game - but he has to learn!!  And so do some of the others.  We let in too many goals form too many positions that could have been avoided.  Yesterday was yet another one.  It''s a different player every time - players just thinking that others will deal with the situation.  It''s nothing to do with tactics, shape, the team selection - it''s individual players not taking responsibility to do their job properly.  I''m sure Murphy knows he was at fault, but I also hope he learns from it. Knowing you are at fault and doing something about it are two different things. He needs to learn from it. 

I sit in the N&P & haven''t watched any highlights from yesterday so actually surprised me after the game to hear Murphy was at fault.

However, if it was Whittaker at the back post he would be getting absolutely slaughtered for not picking the man up, or not blocking the cross (if it was from the other side) - yet Murphy & Dijks seems to get mild (at most) criticism.

We know the Murphys need to pick up some defensive nous - maybe because they were played in a 4-3-3 instead of a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 in the youth team they didn''t pick this up when they were developing?

If you watch the goal he was even told by Klose to mark the man who scored. Very poor play and the downfall of our season, players not prepared to put that little bit extra in

Barclay seats 48/49 the 3rd wrote the following post at 27/02/2017 4:50 PM:

Well actually it was Murphy doing a bad job of covering for Raresole Martin 😬

You''re talking out of your arse. Both Klose and Martin had their men

[quote user="lake district canary"]Will Jacob have learned a lesson from yesterday?[/quote]Is Jacob the new Snodgrass? [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Will Jacob have learned a lesson from yesterday?[/quote]Is Jacob the new Snodgrass? [:S][/quote]

Well I commented on Snodgrass''s neglect in defending a while ago when he allowed an opponent a free cross which led to a goal, so the same applies here. The difference of course is that Snodgrass should know better at 28 than Jacob who is still learning at 21.  However they are both professionals and were both at fault for those goals. Call me consistent. [:P] 

To be fair, it was a good timed run by the Danish binner, Murphy should have picked up his run, but looking at the whole play upto the cross, both Dijks and especially Naismith were two yards away and never made a challenge to block the cross add to that we concede a shite lost at far post surely Pinto should have been picking up the far post rather than coming inside and leaving Martin without a man.

It was a poor goal to concede as it''s happened before.

Pick one of three to share the blame!

[quote user="Indy"]To be fair, it was a good timed run by the Danish binner, Murphy should have picked up his run, but looking at the whole play upto the cross, both Dijks and especially Naismith were two yards away and never made a challenge to block the cross add to that we concede a shite lost at far post surely Pinto should have been picking up the far post rather than coming inside and leaving Martin without a man.

It was a poor goal to concede as it''s happened before.

Pick one of three to share the blame![/quote]

I''ve looked at it again a few times and take your point.  I don''t blame Pinto, he was at least marking his man, Dijks is a little slow to react....but the midfielders tend to stand flat footed and react too late to be able to affect anything.  Any one of the midfielders (apart from Tettey) - Hoolahan, Naismith, Howson and Murphy - are just standing around looking at the ball, none of them aware or in any state of readiness to get stuck in and help the defence.  It''s rubbish defending, as a team.  I was optimistic a couple of weeks ago that we could really push on, but what seems to have happened again is a good result or two, followed by a bit of what looks like lazy thinking - or at least lack of responsibility - to defend as a team.

You can also be critical of Martin, he clearly told Pinto to pick up the man and pulled him into the middle when he could have marked him, allowing Pinto to go out wider and attack the ball.

To blame Murphy is a tad harsh as it''s a fault we''ve not rectified all season.

Lakey don''t get me started on why we haven''t improved as a team defending! That''s down to AN and his staff! We''ve spent loads and got worse at the back!

Cannot imagine what the great FA Cup team would have thought, never read anything about the great Bobby Brennan our star outside left being blamed for the opposition scoring

Murphy may have been the main player at fault this time but let''s not pretend this hasn''t happened on repeat throughout the season with other players.

I saw a load of absolute twaddle on Facebook about how neither of the murphys are any good and now they''re 22 they won''t improve anymore and they''re a liability. It''s absolutely rubbish.

The problem has been so constant it has to be a coaching problem. But you could also accuse Dijks of not doing enough to pressure the guy crossing. Or Naismith to a lesser extent.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Unfortunately Jacob didnt spot the risk of knudsen''s movement early enough.

Jacob needs to work harder.[/quote]You''re right Tangy. Our wingers need a defensive coach to show them. Someone like Hucks for example. [;)]

Really proud of our very own Murphy twins. Josh scored a good goal for the U23s tonight. Jacob was well pleased for him. As I''ve said before they are both a real credit to our club and their parents. Most city fans would dream of scoring an equaliser against the binners in front of a full house at Carrow Road. Of course most City fans are nowhere near good enough to do so. But we can take pride in two of our own.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Will Jacob have learned a lesson from yesterday?[/quote]Is Jacob the new Snodgrass? [:S][/quote]^^^This.I question just how much some people really know about football sometimes.

Come on guys. Get real. The 2 Murphys are complete powder puffs, defensively. They don''t put in a tackle, they''re frightened to head the ball, they chicken out of any 50/50 ball, and they think that standing in the general vicinity of play is getting ''stuck in''. If it wasn''t so serious, it would be funny.

In essence, they''re passengers and when they''re both playing, we''re down to 9 men defensively.

I''ve got the whole of yesterday''s match recorded and, quite frankly, watching it again this evening, they should be embarrassed to be wearing the shirt. If that''s ''putting in a shift'' in a local derby, then I''m the Emperor of China.

What''s more, when the ball''s at their feet, they never look up for a pass - they think they have to go it alone, which means that 9 times out of 10, they lose (ie give away) the ball. The evidence is there for all to see - but too many are blind to it, preferring the romance of the story of the Academy Twins. Bulls**t.

OK - they may score a few goals, but the price we pay for their inclusIon is too high. How Neil can''t see that they''re both a defensive liability is beyond me.

Time to give Maddison a chance. Tonight showed again what some of us knew alteady; he''s got 2 good feet, a footballing brain, AND he can tackle.

Try and enjoy the Murphys while you can!If Newcastle go up and we don''t, which looks rather likely, there is a very good chance that Jacob will be wearing a black and white shirt next season.

there''s a good chance he will be wearing a different coloured shirt to our yellow shirt

........ though we won''t know what colour until our second strip is revealed

Will Jacob have learned a lesson from yesterday?

Makes me smile, watched Redmond Sunday in the league cup final, he seems to be doing well playing at PL level, didn''t folks used to say the same about him before his move, now its the turn of the Murphy''s.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Will Jacob have learned a lesson from yesterday?

Makes me smile, watched Redmond Sunday in the league cup final, he seems to be doing well playing at PL level, didn''t folks used to say the same about him before his move, now its the turn of the Murphy''s.[/quote]

I think it was fair comment about Redmond too.  And Snodgrass for that matter - his defensive work was often (and still is) tokenistic. However,   Norwich need players that are totally on the ball at all times - not switched off thinking someone else will deal with it. The very succcessful teams won''t have that element of standing around ball watching like ours do sometimes.  It''s about time it was spelled out to them.  I''ve singled out Jacob on this thread because his is the latest example - but it''s been endemic this season - nearly every player has been at fault at some time for either failing to track players or making simple errors.  We''re at the business end of the season now - there is no room for sloppy or lazy play.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I think it was fair comment about Redmond too.  And Snodgrass for that matter - his defensive work was often (and still is) tokenistic. However,   Norwich need players that are totally on the ball at all times - not switched off thinking someone else will deal with it.[/quote]Lakey, I take it you had a pretty low opinion of Darren Huckerby too.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]I think it was fair comment about Redmond too.  And Snodgrass for that matter - his defensive work was often (and still is) tokenistic. However,   Norwich need players that are totally on the ball at all times - not switched off thinking someone else will deal with it.[/quote]Lakey, I take it you had a pretty low opinion of Darren Huckerby too.[/quote]

One of my abiding memories of Huckerby, apart from his mesmerising runs and goals, was away at Wigan in 2003, where he chased down everything near the end of the match, to make sure we kept a point.