Sign in to follow this  
he

Mitchell Dijkes

What is he thinking about? Very unlucky not to get a penalty there Ipswich. Dijks very sloppy before the situation that got Ipswich the corner also. Has to put himself together. Local derby fewer maybe.

I like Mitchell''s maverick style, and will enjoy it whilst he''s here. He''s Premier League quality in my eyes. This is my main concern if we don''t go up this season - there''s clearing out ''deadwood'', and then losing your best players i.e. Oliveira, Dijks, Ruddy etc (though fortunately I think we''ll keep Wes 👍).

[quote user="CanaryNath"]I feel like I''m taking crazy pills.

Going forwards, he''s decent.

Defensively he is shocking.[/quote]

100% agree. I''m not a huge fan tbh. Even though Knudsen wasn''t picked up, he was out of position to close down the cross (didn''t try). I think defensively, and that is his job let''s not forget, he''s bang average.

[quote user="paddycanary"]Indeed, enjoy watching him while we can[/quote]from reports he has already leftabout 10 mins after the gameand was last seen at Schiphol airportand was reported as telling someone that he was never going back to England

[quote user="VW"]Why do we need defenders that need to be good "defensively"

Can''t see that argument sorry.[/quote]

You are kidding right? That''s like saying why do we need strikers that do more than hold the ball up... then again we have lafferty and camjam as our choices right now, which isn''t a million mikes off. If we are seriously building a squad at a view to promotion and sustainable Prem football, he would get torn apart. No better than a bottom 5 Prem team would take him.

I have never quite understood when people say "he''s good going forward but defensively hes crap"...its very obvious that Dijks can definitely defend. A monkey could flip on the TV and see that he can do the job. Is he pulling up any trees and winning every single tackle? No, but that is not even the role of a full back, especially in Neil''s system.

If you kept his offensive ability and he was an absolute Maldini defensively, then he clearly wouldn''t be playing here...

Chelsea have Marcos Alonso, who while playing more a wing role, was always regarded as a poor defender at Sunderland...clearly hasn''t stopped him this year.

[quote user="AcrossThePond"]I have never quite understood when people say "he''s good going forward but defensively hes crap"...its very obvious that Dijks can definitely defend. A monkey could flip on the TV and see that he can do the job. Is he pulling up any trees and winning every single tackle? No, but that is not even the role of a full back, especially in Neil''s system.

If you kept his offensive ability and he was an absolute Maldini defensively, then he clearly wouldn''t be playing here...

Chelsea have Marcos Alonso, who while playing more a wing role, was always regarded as a poor defender at Sunderland...clearly hasn''t stopped him this year.[/quote]

Regarding Alonso, don''t you think he may have had a better year largely due to the caliber of player around him this season? Courtois, Cahill, David Luiz are a damn sight better than what Sunderland and us have to offer.

@SeattleCanary

Absolutely that is a huge factor. I was more speaking to the fact that some folks on here need a bit of perspective when talking about our players. People calling him a "bad defender" are just insulting him...since he has come here I have heard nothing but "what a beast Dijks is" from the media.

[quote user="AcrossThePond"]@SeattleCanary

Absolutely that is a huge factor. I was more speaking to the fact that some folks on here need a bit of perspective when talking about our players. People calling him a "bad defender" are just insulting him...since he has come here I have heard nothing but "what a beast Dijks is" from the media.[/quote]

That is true, the media have been saying that. The problem is, we concede too many goals, and his style of play isn''t going to help with stopping that. Like I said, he didn''t close down the cross, or even try to, for Ipswich''s goal.

I''m with across the pond on this one. He''s fine defensively, but the system we play in requires him to get forward quite a bit. A more balanced formation might allow his defensive work to shine through.

Also he did try to stop the cross- Naismith was closer though and just pointed, leaving Dijks too much ground to make up.

I think he''s a really good player and must be a nightmare to pay against but as with that obvious penalty he must take care in and around the area as it will end up costing us.