Sign in to follow this  
morty

Team for Sheff Wed.

Last chance saloon to make up ground / at least slow down Sheff Wed?

The team seems to pick itself, though not sure Naismith has done enough to retain his place. Hopefully a surprise Oliviera inclusion, on the bench. Or even Matt Jarvis, remember him?

We''re getting into the realms of "must win" now.

Oh and my team :-

Ruddy, Pinto,Martin, Klose, Dijks, Tettey, Howson, Jacob Murphy, Wildschutt, Hoolahan, Jerome.

Not disagreeing with your comment about Naismith, Morty, but does that mean Wildschutt has done ''more'' to start in front of him? I''m not so sure, or are you basing this on tactical reasons?

Has anyone seen Jarvis play in the U-23s recently, and think he is worthy of getting changed? If so, then either Josh or Wildschutt, would miss out, no?

I''m not basing it on tactical reasons, its really about how ready either player is, as it sounded like Naismith was maybe rushed back a bit for last week.

I would have thought Jarvis is good for a place on the bench, and no more, at this point.

If we''re dropping Naismith I''d play Josh. He was excellent v Forest, no idea why he''s been on the bench since.

Has two Murphy''s on the pitch really worked yet though? I''d have reservations, especially away from home.

Yep, Naismith, didn''t impact on the game, last week, as much as he ''should'' of done (vs a poor Championship team), but, I can''t see who else should start, in front of him tomorrow.

I wasn''t thinking that Jarvis suddenly needs to start, just get changed, and if people think he warrants it, (as I haven''t seen his performances), then , tactically, we wouldn''t have him, Josh,and Wildschutt on the bench.

Oliveira''s return looks likely, so that would also change the dynamics of the bench, potentially. (Thinking that tomorrow might be sheite or bust and we couldn''t afford not to have Lafferty on there, with a returning, not 100%, Oliveira the only forward on it)

Which means its relatively untested, and now isn''t the time for experimenting.

Theoretically, my issue would be that when you attack down one wing, the other wing needs to hold solid, or come infield and cover. And neither Murphy is "quite there" with their defensive covering.

Why not though? What we''ve been doing of late hasn''t really worked. We''ve taken 6 points from an available 15.

Last chance saloon yes - but for me we are more than halfway out of the door at closing time. Esp when we have won just 1 of the last 12 v weds and no wins away in the last 6.

A season change in attitude needed, responsibility, team spirit and desire is needed - as a city fan the hope that may happen is what kills but it still flickers for me in the face of overwhelming evidence that our midfield does not have that in them for more than a half at a time.

I agree most of the team picks itself with only the three behind Jerome (nelson at best on bench, more liekly at brizzle I suspect) the ones to debate.

Bar Pinto for Whits Mortys XI is the one that didnt show at Burton; which for me confirms its less about who plays but whether the chosen midfield are prepared to get stuck in, graft, battle, compete and get themselves dirty . V Burton that was Tettey but even then only sporadically. So I do suspect a most robust selection - any of the combinations is possible but suspect it will be either wes or pritchard, not both and would not be surprised to see wildschutt, naismith and wes starting; not so effective going forward as other options but a more robust choice.

For once city, please, KICK IT OFF

I think that''s right Zipper, for me under the current management it is about the mental side of things much more than the personnel in the team. I have seen enough different combos and apart from, still, generally being more incisive with Wes playing, I haven''t perceived much correlation between team line up and results.

We seem to struggle against any side which is "up for it" so poor results against the top sides and the bottom sides who have most to play for. The field we plough right now is the one labelled mid table mediocrity where we are pretty competitive!

@Zipper.

I''m still putting Burton (partially) down to a game too far for tired players, and too many carrying injuries.

Our squad is big enough to cope though. It will have been a factor but it''s not one which excuses the performance that day.

It''s pretty much win or play-offs are off and we can start talking about a new manager, and squad changes in the summer.

We''re at the stage where we have to play our ''best'' players, no time for experimentation (e.g. 2 Murphys). Despite his lacklustre performance last week, Naismith is surely one of our best 4 or 5 players, so for me he has to play:

Ruddy,

Pinto, Martin, Klose, Dijks

Tettey Howson

Jacob Wes Naismith

Jerome

Hopefully Nelson is fit enough to be a sub, so he can join Wildschut, Josh, Pritchard and a couple of defenders on the bench.

Agree re Naismith, but its with the caveat that he is 100%, as a lot of his game is about high energy and hustle, if he''s not fully fit, it really shows.

If Naismith spent less time waving his arms, and shouting, to save some energy for actually playing football, he would be better.

Yep, I was pleased when he was in the starting line up last week. I thought he''d get in amongst their midfielders and defenders, but he looked lacklustre. Hopefully that was just because he''s getting back to full fitness.

I can''t see Oliveira coming back for, I''d guess, a couple of weeks minimum, it''d be a fantastic surprise if he did, but his Instagram picture was of himself on a anti gravity treadmill, not the training pitches at Colney, so fair to say probably a little way to go yet. It''ll be a massive shot in the arm when he does come back to first team duties though.

As for Naismith, I''d definitely play him. Ipshite was his first game back to be fair so I didn''t expect him to be quite at the level he has been for us recently, nevertheless it was only a superb stop to keep his angled header from being a certain goal for us on his return. He''s now got another week under his belt - and I feel his experience could be crucial tomorrow. When fit he''s an absolute terrier, and Sasso will not enjoy playing against him, that I''m sure. Wildschut to be sub against tiring players for me.

Feeling confident 👍

[quote user="morty"]@Zipper.

I''m still putting Burton (partially) down to a game too far for tired players, and too many carrying injuries.[/quote]Not really valid excuses Morty.Our squad are far better than most in the Championship and we still can''t show any consistency away apart from not picking up points when other teams do.It really is one of those '' must win '' games tomorrow but I feel if we do it''ll only postpone the inevitable.

Morty I would understand the tiredness excuse more if we had seen similar away performances without previous run of games; I am with & Smith... that performance was inexcusable, as fans the loud end of game chant of what the fecking hell was that confirmed.

But that is history - its all about how they face up tomorrow.

Serious question for you Morty, why was BURToN about tired players? If you seriously see that as an answer it''s baffling, when they played games closer together at Christmas than when we played Newcastle and Burton close together, but because we didn''t lose no mention was made of the closeness of games over Christmas

I took that to mean he thought Dijks was tired at Burton after playing 3 games in 7 days having come from Holland where he hadn''t been playing regularly.

Why is it a factor?

If you''re willing to call that a contribution, then why can''t the same be applied to Burton? Surely the tight run of games would have had a much more detrimental effect on a squad that is undeniably much shorter in both quality and depth than ours?

Besides, the performance and result was in perfect fitting with the majority of our other away games this season. There are no excuses, no factors.

With regards to the team, I think we''ll likely see the same line up that started against Ipswich. Naismith was poor in the previous match but is usually preferred in tough away fixtures, maybe Pritchard will be given the nod ahead of Hoolahan?

Of course it''s a factor, there were two or three players carrying knocks that there was a late fitness call on. I don''t think any of them were 100%.

How can that not be a factor?

If they were not 100% surely with a squad our size there were replacements available? What is the excuse for the fact we have one away win in 5 months? Maybe we should play away once every 5 months instead? It''s bizarre that it''s trotted out as a factor as you call it but in this modern era with sports scientists doing their jobs it shouldn''t come into it!

I am perfectly aware of our away record, I am at a fair amount of the games.